7am Backcountry ;- )

VPP2 link and pivot bearings just how much mud and rain can it take? + cleaning?

Morning guys,

Got the new Blur LT built up and went on the maiden voyage, a few words to describe the ride characteristics, comfy, plushhhhhhh, bottomless, smooth, i'm in love

An hour into the ride a huge thunderstorm approached, the torrential downpour that ensued turned the trails into a raging torrent rim swallowing mud fest. I've a feeling i'll be seeing a lot more of this on winter rides after a super dry summer.

The VPP2 link resembled a large clump of mud after the ride LOL

Any one any experience of VPP2 and surrounding bearings in these types of conditions? how often do you pull the grease gun out?

Also would you hose down after this type of ride, or is it pretty hardy and can be left?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VPP2 link and pivot bearings just how much mud and rain can it take? + cleaning?-v992.jpg  

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    its got decent sealing but water is the enemy of any bearing. I would hose it off without using a direct high pressure spray and the pump grease through to push out any water

mtbr member
    So much of this will vary on your mileage and conditions you ride in. When I lived in Germany i rode in the wet at least once a week so used the grease gun about every other month. You should play around with how often you use it. When the grease comes out in any color other than blue you are close to the right interval for changing it. Here in Colorado I only do it about 2-3 times a year because we are so dry. This new grease port system works really well in the wet. Do what the other poster days and use low pressure spray to clean it.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    I ride year round in the PNW. I don't hose my Nomad off I let it dry and brush it off. I occasionally hit the lower link with a grease gun.

Dirt on the VPP links doesn't hurt them. Using a hose to clean them off does more damage than the external mud does.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I ride year round in the PNW. I don't hose my Nomad off I let it dry and brush it off. I occasionally hit the lower link with a grease gun.

Dirt on the VPP links doesn't hurt them. Using a hose to clean them off does more damage than the external mud does.

I thought this might be the case, put it away last night, then today brushed it off with a small brush, cleaned the entire bike with a wet chamois and a warm bucket of water with a dash of Fenwicks F1 bike cleaner in. The chamois being wrung out each time didnt give any water run off into barings etc. Hopefully this will give the longest lifespan?
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    its got decent sealing but water is the enemy of any bearing. I would hose it off without using a direct high pressure spray and the pump grease through to push out any water
    Thanks! I'll stick to a normal garden hose on low pressure if I do need to hose it down as part of a bigger clean.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonblur View Post
    So much of this will vary on your mileage and conditions you ride in. When I lived in Germany i rode in the wet at least once a week so used the grease gun about every other month. You should play around with how often you use it. When the grease comes out in any color other than blue you are close to the right interval for changing it. Here in Colorado I only do it about 2-3 times a year because we are so dry. This new grease port system works really well in the wet. Do what the other poster days and use low pressure spray to clean it.

Really helpful post, i'll play it by ear then, and try at 1 month intervals then re-asses.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Recently, I had the same problem: After a very muddy ride, the lower link area of my Blur TRC looked like this:

I found on this German Site a solution and a pic:
    VPP2 link and pivot bearings just how much mud and rain can it take? + cleaning?-large_trcgummi.jpg

Basically it's a old tube thats has been cut to the shape of a "H" and this piece of tube is wrapped around the lower link and attached to the seat tube. It's for sure not the fanciest solution, but it so far it prevents mud from entering this area.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by randan View Post
    Recently, I had the same problem: After a very muddy ride, the lower link area of my Blur TRC looked like this:

I found on this German Site a solution and a pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_TRCGummi.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	840453

Basically it's a old tube thats has been cut to the shape of a "H" and this piece of tube is wrapped around the lower link and attached to the seat tube. It's for sure not the fanciest solution, but it so far it prevents mud from entering this area.

very nice! do you find you get any crud on the underside from the front too, or is this rear catchment area the worst bit?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The rear area is indeed the part, where most of the crud lands. I just realized, that my solution looks a bit different from the pic I have posted. I have wrapped the whole lower link like this:

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had a Tallboy for 3 winters in Seattle. I rode it the rain and water, drove with it on my roof rack in the rain, hosed it down after riding, and also just put it away wet and dirty, many times. I used the grease gun about 10 times and never had any problems at all with the lower linkage.I never really saw much dirty grease come out either. I replaced the upper linkage bearings once. Might pay to pack the upper bearings with grease now.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    I had a Tallboy for 3 winters in Seattle. I rode it the rain and water, drove with it on my roof rack in the rain, hosed it down after riding, and also just put it away wet and dirty, many times. I used the grease gun about 10 times and never had any problems at all with the lower linkage.I never really saw much dirty grease come out either. I replaced the upper linkage bearings once. Might pay to pack the upper bearings with grease now.

Best to leave it to its own devices it sounds

7am Backcountry ;- )
    Quote Originally Posted by randan View Post
    The rear area is indeed the part, where most of the crud lands. I just realized, that my solution looks a bit different from the pic I have posted. I have wrapped the whole lower link like this:

cheers! surprised no one has made anything like this on a 3d printer etc, a simple fender!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I took a small sheet of plastic and zip-tied it around the lower link. Been there for a couple of years now...
    Blur LT & Highball