mtbr member
    Jan 2004

VPP pivot lube ?

I tore down my pivots on a Blur LT I just purchased. What a PITA the lower axles were frozen in place. I could have cleanly pressed out the shafts if there was a provision to hold the axle to remove both mounting bolts (hex down center of axle bore SC engineers). Anyways I read about the anti-seize lube but won't that collect alot of dirt where the axle is exposed ?

TNC
    noMAD man
    I guarantee that grease will attract a whole lot more dirt than antiseize. The properties of antiseize are closer to a semi-dry paste of sorts which is also why it doesn't dry out as quickly as grease. Just wipe off all the excess antiseize after you reassemble the pivot axles, and you won't even know it's in there...except for the lack of an annoying creak and galled pivot axles, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I guarantee that grease will attract a whole lot more dirt than antiseize. The properties of antiseize are closer to a semi-dry paste of sorts which is also why it doesn't dry out as quickly as grease. Just wipe off all the excess antiseize after you reassemble the pivot axles, and you won't even know it's in there...except for the lack of an annoying creak and galled pivot axles, of course.
    My axles were frozen to the bearings. The axle to bearing is a really tight fit , i'll assume the anti-seize can penetrate the area ? Is the creak issue coming from the bearing axle interface or somewhere else ? I have used moly dry lube spray for axle to hub lube, wonder if it has been used for VPP pivots ? Moly dry lube dries like spry paint. Another issue I knocked a bearing out and don't have access to #680 loctite how about the blue stuff ? Thanx

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, it takes a very minute amount of antiseize to actually do the job, and despite that the stuff will stay in place and last a very long time. In these types of metal-to-metal applications antiseize has it all over grease. I know what you mean about the pivot axles seizing. Mine were only a month old when I undertook the preventative antiseize deal, and they had already developed a couple of small hairline marks from galling. After more than a year from that point to now, there are no additional marks...antiseize works.

I don't know keen, I'm not normally a big fan of bearing seating fluids, but in this case, I think SC knows what they're doing. The way the bearings are installed, seated, and centered, it's not like you're pressing them into an environment where there's no chance of potential "float"...so I used the 680 puke green stuff. I'll bet the blue loctite for threads isn't up to the task, but I haven't tried it to qualify that.

You mention that moly lube...that's one of the ingredients in antiseize in the brands I've used. There are more elements in antiseize that improve its characteristics, however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You can find loctite 680 at brafasco, a nuts and bolts store, quite expensive. Everywhere else sells the imitation permatex brand.

Members who have read this thread: 0