GMM
    mtbr member

VPP (newbie) Bob Question

So I just picked up a Tallboy LTc (standard Spx kit). So far I am enjoying the bike, but on my first 2 rides I noticed that it bobs (at least that's what I think it is) when I put the rear Fox shock in Climb mode. I find this really odd because it doesn't happen in trail or descend mode. Candidly, for most climbing the bike feels great in open mode, but when I am riding road to the trailhead or climbing on a long fire road, I would prefer to lockout the suspension and hammer a bit.

The sag is a hair under 1". Again, I don't feel a thing in trail or open mode, just climb (lockout). Weird. Funny thing is the same thing happened to me on a demo of a regular tallboy (only in lockout), but I thought it had a dented rim or sealant balling up in the rim.

I'm coming off a short travel XC bike and the feeling is a bit unsettling. Didn't feel it at all when I demo'd a Bronson.

Ride On
    Hmmm. What version of the Fox its it. My new Heckler had the 2014 CTD and lockout is a very accurate description. It's a hard lock on climb. I have heard the older models did not have the same clear delineation. However your description seems to indicate a problem with the shock setup.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    is the shock moving, or are you feeling the rear tire bouncing?

these days, when I ride a hardtail, the rear tire bounce that I don't get on my suspension bike is unnerving.
    here we go again

GMM
    mtbr member
    It's a Float CTD, non-kashima. I see it moving, but not a bunch. It feels like I am towing something, like I feel the rear tugging. As I said, I felt a similar sensation on a TB that I demo'd but didn't think it was the suspension. Now I do. I've demo'd the LTc 3x before pulling the trigger, and the suspension worked flawlessly on each demo i tried. Lockout mode was basically almost hardtail like. I would think the sensation would be worse in trail or descend mode, but it's absent in those modes.

mtbr member
    You are running an inch of sag in the rear???!!!?? That's 50%.... you should be running 12-15mm
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    experiment with more rebound dampning also. my longer travel trc needs more or i pogo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you're really running almost 1" of sag def add some air as you are way under sprung. Proper sag will improve the bike's overall handling and decrease the bob you mention.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Oops, ok. I will air it up, and play with rebound. I guess is figured if it was under-sagged it would be worse in descend mode. I'll make these adjustments and report back later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sag that sh*t per SC's recommendations!

You probably got a booklet with your bike with rear air pressure setting for all SC models. Those numbers are a good starting point.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Ok, this is embarrassing. Should have checked out the SC specs. I had the shop where I bought the bike set it up. Figured he would be able to dial it in. He had me sit on the bike, played with the air and said sag was good. Anyway...I adjusted the air today, and I went with the SC spec of 10 lbs less than rider weight and didn't bother looking at the o-ring. Hit the trail, and all is good. Put the bike in climb mode on a smooth fire road and it was perfect. Same thing on the road to the trailhead. So mystery solved. Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've got a 2013 TRC (black/silver), with probably the same rear shock as you. When properly set up, the rear shock feels like it's locked out. I've definitely got three different settings available based on feel.