mtbr member
    Jan 2004

VP-Free w/DHX Air - Who's been riding this setup?

Hey guys,

I'm building up a new bike to replace my stolen one . I had somewhat settled on a Nomad, but have always been a little apprehensive as to whether it would hold up to everything I'd like to do (I estimate it would have zero problem with 90% of what I actually do, but I like that other 10% a lot ).

So I head down to my local Santa Cruz dealer to price out some stuff, check out frame availability, etc, etc. The guy at the shop rides a VP-Free and we start chatting about it. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I ask him for some pricing on it as well. Apparently, I can pick up an Ano VP-Free/DHX Air frame for $572CDN cheaper than the Nomad equivalent. This is not a small chunk of change (at least to me).

So now I'm thinking...what would happen if I built up a lighter-but-still-strong VP-Free. The frame weights aren't that terribly different. Yeah, it's not going to be as trail-friendly as a Nomad, but what if I can make it reasonably close? Then, I wouldn't have to worry about that extra 10% of riding, and I would open up new riding possibilities (hopefully without much sacrifice on the other end of the spectrum).

So, I'm reading about the VP-Free/Air combo on here; most threads are pretty old, and aren't based on a whole lot of personal experience. So, now that some time has passed with the Air shock available, does anybody have a reasonable amount of experience on it? How does it ride compared to a VP-Free with the coil shock? Any regrets, suggestions, comments? I'd be interested in hearing any personal experience, preferably if you've ridden both coil and air shocks (optimized for you...not your fat buddy whose bike you are playing around on ).

The price difference between the coil and air shock is relatively small (~$60CDN), so really, performance and weight are the only factors in my decision.

Thanks a lot!

Greg

mtbr member
    May 2005

same Q

asked the same question here about 2 weeks ago with no answer.....lot of nomad/air riders though

sc tech have tolled me with a dhxa( 8.75x2.5) travel will be 7.7" or so....no issue there.....

i can get a good deal on the 5th air gravity which is another 100g lighter than a dhxa, so looks like the gravity will be the shock i try.

also have a set of Marz 66SL's coming and with the shock/fork combo will loose 4lbs over my current 888+5th coil set up.

with lighter tyres, seat post, stem/bars maybe another 3/4 of a lbs so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey,

Yeah, I saw that post, I wanted to take another shot at it. I'm looking at the 66SL too. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the VP-Free over the Nomad (even if I end up with the coil shock). I've looked at some other setups posted here; with an intelligent build (balancing strength and weight), you can come up with an extremely versatile machine at a really impressive weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No info on it but there's still a pic from interbike of one built up like you intend, looks sweet

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/617614/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet, thanks for the link. Is the wait-time for a VP-Free frame relatively short now if you aren't super colour-picky?

29 some of the time...
    No personal experience here, but I can point you in a search direction. Dig around for what mark weir was riding for kicks pre-nomad. He had a vp setup with a talas 36 and was logging serious all mountain miles. Not sure how well it was documented, but that is the only vp I can think of that was setup that light.