Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

VP-Free with Short Shock (merged thread)

Can you put a different size shock on a VPfree to change it to a 6-7 inch travel?
    I've heard some people talking about it, and i was just wondering if anyone tried it here.
    Thanx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    Can you put a different size shock on a VPfree to change it to a 6-7 inch travel?
    I've heard some people talking about it, and i was just wondering if anyone tried it here.
    Thanx

I did a search a last week and found a Free with a 8.5 x 2.5 rear shock . I believe it makes for 7" rear travel. I think there was also some discussion on RM as well. I am looking into a Free for DH but @ some point may want to make it into a trail bike - i'd do the 8.5 x 2.5 to lower the BB height.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    Thanx
    photo john put a 8.5x2.5 dhx on his vpfree, making it a mini free with 180mm of travel.

they talk about it in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...15276#poststop

mtbr member
    May 2005

yes you can

aked sc tech about running a dhx air (this shock is now a sc build option) and being that the dhx air isn't available in a 8.75 x 2.75 if they had a special version anyways here's the answer

"we use the 8.75" x 2.5" (dhx air) version on the Free. You do lose a little bit of travel, but there is no way around that really.... The travel ends up at around 7.75".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo
    aked sc tech about running a dhx air (this shock is now a sc build option) and being that the dhx air isn't available in a 8.75 x 2.75 if they had a special version anyways here's the answer

"we use the 8.75" x 2.5" (dhx air) version on the Free. You do lose a little bit of travel, but there is no way around that really.... The travel ends up at around 7.75".

That's the same length but a different stroke ??? I can see the advantage of running a shorter length shock - lower BB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I've got one

Mine has an 8.5 x 2.8 DHX 5 on it and it's great. There's less movement in the back than my five inch Trek Liquid and it weighs 36 lbs, which is only four pounds heavier. I ride it for everything and it does everything well. My XC friends with bikes ten pounds lighter will beat me to the top but I can keep them in sight and that's good enough. It's a solid bike and I've had no problems with linkages or bearings or squeaking. Just keep the pivot areas clean with compressed air and they'll last just as long as any other setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka baycat
    Lep-

Can you give me a run down on your build kit if it it isn't to much of a hassle? Really sick bike.

Do you use it as a trail bike? How far can you pedal that thing before you are toast?

-Ryan

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks

The build is nothing special, pretty basic really, but it gets the job done. This is my one bike and I primarily trail ride it. I typically ride around 30 miles per week with the average ride being from 10-15 miles. The longest single ride I have done so far was 24 miles and there was little difference between my performance and that of my friends on lighter bikes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say I'm in great shape or are a great rider, I'm just saying this bike is extremely capable no matter what style you ride. Most importantly, I come back from every ride liking the bike and appreciating its abilities more than the previous ride. It has deffinitely increased my confidence level and thus raised my riding level since I got it about 10 months ago. I highly recommend this bike. If it came down to building a mid thirty pound Nomad or a VP Free, you might as well go with the VP Free.

* Frame Size & Color: Medium, slate gray ano
    * Fork: Fox TALAS 36 RC2
    * Shock Fox DHX 5.0
    * Brakes: Hayes Carbon Nine's
    * Cranks: Truvativ Holtzfeller 22, 32
    * Shifters: Front- SRAM X9, Rear- SRAM X7
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9
    * Pedals: Crankbrothers Mallet C
    * Stem: Easton Vice
    * Handlebar: Easton Monkeybar EA70
    * Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket V Stealth
    * Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Gigapipe
    * Headset: WTB Momentum C
    * Front Tire: WTB Weirwolf 2.5
    * Wheels: WTB Dual Duty FR
    * Rear Tire: WTB Weirwolf 2.35

* overall Weight: 36 lbs

aka baycat
    Thanks man, sounds like it is speced perfect, looking to donate the bike .

Your crankset is running an internal BB right, heard it messes up the chainline or something with an external?

And what is your height?

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun
    Mine has an 8.5 x 2.8 DHX 5 on it and it's great. There's less movement in the back than my five inch Trek Liquid and it weighs 36 lbs, which is only four pounds heavier. I ride it for everything and it does everything well. My XC friends with bikes ten pounds lighter will beat me to the top but I can keep them in sight and that's good enough. It's a solid bike and I've had no problems with linkages or bearings or squeaking. Just keep the pivot areas clean with compressed air and they'll last just as long as any other setup.
    I never heard of a Fox DHX 5.0 in 8.5 X 2.8, but of course that's not saying much Are you sure though that it's not 8.5 X 2.5 and your spring is just labeled 2.8?

A friend I ride with has the 5th Element 8.5 X 2.5 on his Free and like Gripo says, it knocks the travel down to about 7.75 and maybe 1/2" off the BB height.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Deffinitely possible

Ya, I think you're probably right. I just went off what the spring said on it, 2.8. But it would make more sense if it were 2.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Hmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Thanks man, sounds like it is speced perfect, looking to donate the bike .

Your crankset is running an internal BB right, heard it messes up the chainline or something with an external?

And what is your height?

Ya, probably not, but ahhh..... No, I think I'll be riding this bike till it dies which shouldn't happen in my lifetime.

I've heard the same thing about the external BB. Some can get them to work, others can't. I'm not sure if this helps, but with my setup if I wanted to run a third ring up front SC told me I needed to get a Saint front derailleur because it was the only one that would work. I would recommend emailling SC, they're great and would me more than happy to help you out.

I'm currently 5'11" 1/2" on good days. The medium feels great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why a 8.5 x 2.5 shock ? Just wondering why some want or do go with the shorter shock ? Thanx

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Why a 8.5 x 2.5 shock ? Just wondering why some want or do go with the shorter shock ? Thanx
    For my friend there were two reasons. First, he wanted a lower BB and I think his dropped from 14 3/4 to around 14 1/4. Second, he slacked it out by about 1 degree I believe. Lower & slacker.

Like sliding the shuttle forward on your Bullit.

Justin Vander Pol

Lowered vp-free

A few folks have asked about my project to lower my VP-Free. This isn't a new thing, lots of folks have done it, but I thought I'd share for those of you looking for a lower, more flickable bike.

Why'd I do it? I've always felt my VP-Free was a bit too tall, meaning the bottom bracket was too high. Lowering it will really make it groove! I've got friends going big (and they're big guys) on 170mm forks, so I figured 200mm was overkill, even though I use my bike pretty hard.

Even with the new, low setup, which is 20 mm lower both front and back, I still have a 14.4" bottom bracket. Not super low, so it should still be versatile.

Starting setup: '05 888rc 200mm with Risse lowrider crowns. Stock Fox DHX 8.75" x 2.75" [edit: typo earlier listed this as 2.5] shock in back giving it 8.5" of travel. I liked the head angle and how it handled, it just felt top heavy.

New, lowered setup: '06 66RC2X 170mm with a Swinger 6-way 8.5" x 2.5" shock giving it about 7.5" of travel. I hope I like the Swinger, I might be buying a used Roco or DHX if it doesn't work out.

Here's how the geometry stacks up betwen the two setups. I took actual measurements for all of these with a tape and an angle finder thing I have.

Measurement -- original geo -- new lowered geo
    Head angle -- 66 degrees -- 66 degrees
    Wheelbase -- 46.75" -- 46.75"
    BB height -- 15.1" -- 14.4"
    Standover -- 32.5" -- 31.5"

What really surprised me is that the wheelbase didn't shorten up any. I chock this up to either bad wheelbase measurements (was a bit hard with 1 person) or to the fact that the swing link causes the chainstay to lengthen with a shorter eye-to-eye.

Some of you might also be interested that the conventional wisdom about 1" longer fork = 1 degree slacker head angle is total crap. Once a bike is fairly slack, this factor is exaggerated. Actual measurements showed that a 1" increase in axle to crown was almost a 2 degree slacker head angle in the 64 to 66 degree range. This makes sense if you're into trigonometry at all.

I was hoping to get a ride in before I posted up my results, but the weather is crap here in Seattle. I have been getting some riding in, but it's all been on my xc bike.

Here's a pic of the final project. I think the bike just looks faster now. I'm also stoked to ride a singlecrown on tight stuff, and maybe even learn to throw in some X-ups when I'm riding Whistler.

Last edited by juice; 01-11-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Wowzers, thanks a bunch for posting those measurements! I've got a 8.5x2.5 Swinger 6-Way I picked up and have been meaning to put on my VP-Free. The BB drop is more significant than I thought! Great new's indeed, the high BB is the #1 thing holding that bike back, I'm really excited to get the ball rolling now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

shorter shock

When I had my Free I originally planned to run an 8.5 x 2.5 rear shock. There was a thread on RM where they discussed the effects of the shorter shock on the VPP - seemed the starting point was off as the suspension was deeper in its travel.

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    When I had my Free I originally planned to run an 8.5 x 2.5 rear shock. There was a thread on RM where they discussed the effects of the shorter shock on the VPP - seemed the starting point was off as the suspension was deeper in its travel.
    Yeah, we'll have to see. It might be a while before I can get in a shore trip and really see how it performs on trails that I'm familiar with. I did look over it pretty closely, and there's still plenty of rearward travel in the VPP S-curve even with a the shorter shock, so I think it'll be fine. I might dig up that RM thread and see wha they have to say. Maybe I should hold on to my 8.75" DHX for a while.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

bog
    mtbr member

Fox DHX and Roco 8.5 x 2.5

I have both shocks for my Nomad if anyone is interested in trying them on their VPF. I'm considering getting a VPF and was very interested in seeing how it would handle with the 8.5 shock and my 66 RC2X. They work well on the Nomad but the VPF seems like it would be perfect with this setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Juice - have you tried running a lighter spring for more sag and cranking up the bottom out control. This should have a similar effect to what your doing but you get the added benifit of more negative travel for better tracking. It would be intersteing to try both but I bet you will be faster with 8.5" travel set up with 4" sag then you will be with 7.5" travel and 3" sag.

Justin Vander Pol
    dirtdogg - I don't think that would work for me. Seems like it could make for an unbalanced bike and some goofy geometry if you're on steep stuff with the rear tire just barely staying on the ground. I was already running fairly high sag with my bottom-out all the way in. I don't like much pressure in the DHX boost valve, and that means you don't get all that much bottom out resistance.

I still think 8.5" is overkill for anything I'm willing to do. I won't launch anything huge, and even at that I want a nice transition. How big do I go? I dunno, internet measuring units have always confused me I mostly ride Whistler, the Shore and a bunch of local trails - lots of moderate sized drops or beautifully sculpted landings.
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Get a lower bike and let the great VPF like it was.because the vpp system dont work well with a small shock

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    I was thinking that a shock, the correct length w/a shorter stroke, would be the best case scenerio to limit travel. That way you don't have a adjustments of the shock extreme one way or the other, causing the shock to be under stress.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

TNC
    noMAD man

You may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bora
    Get a lower bike and let the great VPF like it was.because the vpp system dont work well with a small shock
    Or maybe not. I would really like to hear or see a "real" engineering explanation of how a shorter shock affects that allegedly unique "S" wheelpath...or doesn't affect/hurt the wheelpath. Either way it's something to consider, and I'd sure like to know more about it.

In a similar comparison, SC wound up putting some 8.75 X 2.75 Progressive Gravity air shocks on some Nomads with no apparent negative affect to the wheelpath curve or performance of the suspension design that we know of. While a longer or shorter shock probably always affects the leverage advantage to some degree, how big it is and how it impacts performance seems to be the biggest issue. On a Bullit, for example, it's not very noticeable...remember I'm talking about the leverage advantage/disadvantage, not geometry issues...and of course a Bullit doesn't have the complex wheelpath issue of a VPP design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you want to go faster downhill and pedaling is less of an issue it could help to increase the sag setting beyond optimal. You will be outside of the ideal efficency window but the reduced head angle and lower BB might be big enough to offset that. On the other hand if you want a more efficient pedaler and DH speed is not an issue than you can increase your shock platform.
    Limiting your travel is pointless. I guess it could help you mentally. The idea of pedaling a 7" bike does seem a lot easier than pedaling an 8.5" bike.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast