PULL

Vp-Free rear axle

Had weird run at my local rocky spot last week. The rear end was loose as a goose. Went over the bars and figured it was from too many margs the night before. The bike kept washing out in the turns.

I finally got off the trail and back to the parking lot. My rear rotor was dragging really bad. I thought wtf?

I later put the bike in the shop stand and found the head bolt of the rear axle ripped through the aluminum hat. My guess is from all the abuse the bike has been through, and me going a little too ruff on the wrench.

Anyone have any torque specs on the rear axle? I asked SC about it when I bought a new axle but they never got back to me. Must be working on that new vp-free.

Here is a picture to give you a better idea of what I am talking about. When the bolt head pulled through the aluminum hat, the bolt head slipped through the dropout and made the rear end loose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Hey SansManerz, I never used the axle SC provided w/my VP Free. I used the axle that came with my Azonic Outlaws. It uses a hex nut and washer and a externally threaded end. I just received my Outlaws for my Nomad, (Nomad has 135mm hub, so couldn't use the ones off of my VP Free, 150mm hub), and have to get the axle w/the 10mm set down ends, (Nomad has 10mm drop outs, Outlaws come w/12mm axle, fine for VP Free, but not Nomad). Having to use a skewer till Wed. The skewer is pretty stiff though, I have to admit after thrashin' it on the mtn over the weekend.

Like this,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

PULL
    MWOH, you got me thinking again. I almost don't even want to use that SC axle. Steel bolt into an aluminum rod is no bueno.

I remember on my bullit I had the hadley 10mm steel axle, sure was a beast.

Hmmm.... here comes my research now.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Hey SansManerz, I never used the axle SC provided w/my VP Free. I used the axle that came with my Azonic Outlaws. It uses a hex nut and washer and a externally threaded end. I just received my Outlaws for my Nomad, (Nomad has 135mm hub, so couldn't use the ones off of my VP Free, 150mm hub), and have to get the axle w/the 10mm set down ends, (Nomad has 10mm drop outs, Outlaws come w/12mm axle, fine for VP Free, but not Nomad). Having to use a skewer till Wed. The skewer is pretty stiff though, I have to admit after thrashin' it on the mtn over the weekend.

Like this,
    This is what I use for my VP-Free as well! Installed a rubber cap on the ends too.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks like over torquing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike00
    Looks like over torquing to me.
    Weellllll, sorry NoManerz, but bigmike is right to a point, but I agree that "Steel bolt into an aluminum rod is no bueno", not a very good mix of materials, although they, SC, may have their reasons for doing it. But a heavy hand w/a wrench in it over time will do a number on bolts, screws, etc....I know cuz I'm just as guilty as charged guv'nah. I've had to learn to back off on my "torquing" too. Even if you feel you aren't over torquing it "too much", over time the cumulative effect can result in the type of failure you have.

Not the best design or use of materials, said the armchair quarterback. Some time I get the feeling that companies will toss in a part, like this axle, to make you feel like they're going the extra mile to be customer friendly and swing your thinking to their product, however, that "tossed in part may just get you up and runnin' till you can "upgrade to a proper part". We as concumers have to be aware of what we're using in a sport like ours where you can end up hurt by a decision to "cut weight" or "save money". So 95% of it is on us to use our heads....but we all know that sometimes you just gotta try it to see if it'll work.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    happened to me just last week too - although I was using a different bolt that wasn't quite the same size as stock. IMO, the hat/washer thing could be a mm or so thicker, and that would solve all problems. I am still using the same hat, the bolt pulled through and is stuck in there. I just use a washer to even the load and let it spin. works ok atm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

my bike is about to blow up!

[QUOTE="Steel bolt into an aluminum rod is no bueno", not a very good mix of materials,

Some time I get the feeling that companies will toss in a part to make you feel like they're going the extra mile. We as concumers have to be aware of what we're using in a sport like ours where you can end up hurt by a decision to "cut weight" or "save money". [/QUOTE]

Hey guys! Check your bikes for steel bolts threaded into aluminum! I just found it on my fork crowns, my stem, crank pinch bolts, front derailler, rear derailler, derailler hanger, shifter clamps, brake clamps, brake caliper mounting bolts, fork axle pinch bolts, seat binder, saddle rail clamps. OH SHiz! My pedal spindles are steel too, and they are threaded into the aluminum cranks. I'm getting rid of them, and I'm going to remove all the screws from the platform that kept my feet from slipping. They were steel threaded into aluminum! Those cheap bastids. I also got rid of the bolts on my lock-on grips. Its a little harder to ride now, but whatever, I'm not going to be fooled.

Just wanted you guys to check it out, I'm off to check my car and motorcycles for this too!
    And my RV and boat. Consumer awareness starts today for me!
    here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo
    Hey guys! Check your bikes for steel bolts threaded into aluminum! I just found it on my fork crowns, my stem, crank pinch bolts, front derailler, rear derailler, derailler hanger, shifter clamps, brake clamps, brake caliper mounting bolts, fork axle pinch bolts, seat binder, saddle rail clamps. OH SHiz! My pedal spindles are steel too, and they are threaded into the aluminum cranks. I'm getting rid of them, and I'm going to remove all the screws from the platform that kept my feet from slipping. They were steel threaded into aluminum! Those cheap bastids. I also got rid of the bolts on my lock-on grips. Its a little harder to ride now, but whatever, I'm not going to be fooled.

Just wanted you guys to check it out, I'm off to check my car and motorcycles for this too!

If it was me, I would stick to the rear axle issues you could have due to this issue....all of the stuff you mention checking would cut waay deep into your riding time.... Better get you a torque wrench e-yo, heavy hands and all....

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo

You really crack me up!!!

If the "said" aluminum hat/washer was made of steel this problem would of never happened.

Edit: Oh btw, this is the first problem of this kind I have had in ten years with a through-axle on xx amount of bikes. I'm going to say it is the design.

Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    You really crack me up!!!

If the "said" aluminum hat/washer was made of steel this problem would of never happened.
    Edit: Oh btw, this is the first problem of this kind I have had in ten years with a through-axle on xx amount of bikes. I'm going to say it is the design.
    EXACT-A-MUN-DO !!! Any part that frequently requires taking off and putting back on should be made out of appropriate material....YEAH, know das' right !!!