mtbr member
    Feb 2006

vp-free questions

Am thinking of buying a vp-free and just wanted some advice on the following subjects
    - Effects of running a 150 fork (marzocchi bomber z1 freerides) i.e does it unbalance the bike running short travel upfront compaired to long rear?
    - Sizing of a frame am 6ft 2"? and was thinking of a medium
    - Running tripple chain rings?
    - Build up weights am going to build it with hard xc and light free ride/downhill in mind?

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by mungo
    Am thinking of buying a vp-free and just wanted some advice on the following subjects
    - Effects of running a 150 fork (marzocchi bomber z1 freerides) i.e does it unbalance the bike running short travel upfront compaired to long rear?
    - Build up weights am going to build it with hard xc and light free ride/downhill in mind?
    A 150mm fork should feel ok, but the head angle will be a little steep.

I'm your height and ride and XL. You say this will be an all purpose bike, so the frame should fit with climbing in mind. Don't get anything smaller than a large.

3 rings will work no problem, but I don't see the point of a big ring unless you like to bomb down pavement.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    A 150mm fork should feel ok, but the head angle will be a little steep.

I'm your height and ride and XL. You say this will be an all purpose bike, so the frame should fit with climbing in mind. Don't get anything smaller than a large.

3 rings will work no problem, but I don't see the point of a big ring unless you like to bomb down pavement.
    whats with the cup cakes do they they make u ride faster?

IJR
    I Just Ride
    I think a med will be a little small for you. I'm 6' and have a large.

Since you are going to ride xc on it too get a 66 sl that way you can adjust the travel up to 170 mm when you need it for drops and stunts.

I don't see the need for a triple. I've got a double on mine 36/22, the only time I ever spun it out was on a paved road.

Mine weighs 41 lbs with a 888 and dh components. You could easily get it in the mid to high 30's with the right components.

mtbr member
    Im with everyone on the chainrings. There really is no need to have three, i run two and have not had any problems. I would suggest a little more travel on the fork say from 160+. I run a 888 7" and use it for everything and love it. My bike is built a bit heavy mainly for DHing since i have a little bike too.

As for Size I am 6' 1" and ride a large and have been very happy with it. I agree in that you shouldnt get anything smaller then a Large.
    I sold my soul for pennies....but I got a VP Free thrown in as well, man what a deal

Just another FOC'er
    You might want to PM 'inkpad' if you want some feedback on the VPFree with a Z150 fork on it. He did a ride with us last fall with that setup. The bike was borrowed, but it didn't hold him back at all and the stuff we were riding is super steep. He is an extremely good rider and liked the way that bike handled.

BTW, that was a large and I think he's 6' or maybe a hair more.

truth seeker
    -I don't know why anyone would put a 150mm fork on a Free. First, the head angle becomes too steep. Second, if that is all the travel you need, you should consider a different frame - for example, the Nomad or even Blur 4x. The Free may be overkill for the riding you plan to do.
    -Get a Large frame.
    -Again, if you are thinking of running triple rings, consider a Nomad or Blur 4x. Most would run a Free with a single or dual ring. I run 22/32 with an e13 DRS guide.
    -Count on a build weight in the low 40 lb range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am 6 feet and rescently ordered a Large VP-free, and like you i'm gonna do some xc-riding as well. The fork i chose is the 2006 Marzocchi 66rc (170mm).

keystone addict
    My vpfree is coming in this week. Im six foot two also and ordered the large. I think with the xl you would feel like it just didnt feel right. It would feel like driving an eighteen wheeler when you want a pickup truck. or something, that was a dumb way to put it . I personally would rather have a bike a tiny bit too small than a bike a tiny bit too big. I think you should deffinately put at least seven inches of travel on the front. try the 66 or maybe the fox 36 van if you want a single crown. If you go double, you can start getting into the really sweet stuff as far as pushing the limits go. I'm gonna do mostly hucks and some dh racing,but i also wanna do trail riding, so i ordered mine wit da boxxer team. its a light fork thats a little more suited for dh, but i think ill be able to pedal it uphil without passing out. Maybe if you're not gonna be doin anything extreme, the nomad would be better for you?

mtbr member
    May 2005

150mm forks and axle to crown lengths

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    -I don't know why anyone would put a 150mm fork on a Free. First, the head angle becomes too steep.
    While I can understand your why would anyone Q.....just like to point out this little bit of info.

SC measurements may be a bit dubious, but here's what they state, VPFree ยช"geometry based on 544mm fork (measured from axle to crown) "

The above axle to crown meaurement is so close (few mm's) to the following 150mm forks> Z1/36's to name a couple.

What's your thoughts

truth seeker
    You're correct - the SC website claims head angle of 69 degrees for the VP-Free with 544mm axle to crown fork. The axle to crown on my Fox 40 is about 570mm and the geometry to me feels perfect with the 40. If the SC website is correct, though, you could certainly run a smaller fork and still end up with geometry that is reasonable for most people and many types of riding. However, I stick by my original assertion: if you're convinced that a 150mm fork is the perfect fork for you, I question whether the VP-Free is your perfect bike.

I would also take the SC website geometry claims with a grain of salt, knowing that other things on the website are clearly inaccurate (for example, recommended spring weights for the DHX 5 coil).

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    You're correct - the SC website claims head angle of 69 degrees for the VP-Free with 544mm axle to crown fork. The axle to crown on my Fox 40 is about 570mm and the geometry to me feels perfect with the 40. If the SC website is correct, though, you could certainly run a smaller fork and still end up with geometry that is reasonable for most people and many types of riding. However, I stick by my original assertion: if you're convinced that a 150mm fork is the perfect fork for you, I question whether the VP-Free is your perfect bike.

I would also take the SC website geometry claims with a grain of salt, knowing that other things on the website are clearly inaccurate (for example, recommended spring weights for the DHX 5 coil).
    The SC website says 67 degrees with a 544 A-C fork.

A Z1 150 at 538 would be about 67.3 degrees.