mtbr member
    Jan 2006

vp-free as an AM bike ?

Hi
    can the vp free be also used as an all mountain bike?
    i intend to use them as an all mountain/freeride bike and need to know if they are capable of it.
    did anyone try them with a fork like the fox 36 talas or is it too short for them.

the reason i ask this is that i can get a very good deal on a vp free or a specialized sx trail 2006 and need to decide what to get.

thanks

tal

Just another FOC'er
    Swap out the 8.75 X 2.75 rear shock for a 8.5 X 2.5 and it would work fine with a 36. It would still be a 10+ lb frame though, so it'll never climb like, say, a Nomad.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Nomad/VPFree w/out shock weight

Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    It would still be a 10+ lb frame though, so it'll never climb like, say, a Nomad.
    Can someone ie. bike shop emplyee's confirm the weight difference between a Nomad and VPFree (frame only) without their respective shocks.

Woodlot local
    The frame weights are on the Santa Cruz Website

Blur XC - 5.2lbs with Fox Float RP3
    Blur LT - 6.35lbs with Fox Float RP3
    Blur 4X - 6.4lbs with Fox Float RP3
    Noamd - 7.15lbs with Fox Float
    VP Free - 9.4lbs with DHX5
    V10 - 10.7lbs with DHX5
    Heckler - 6.5lbs with Fox Float R
    Super Light - 5.3lbs with Fox Float R
    Juliana - 5.1lbs with Fox Float R
    Chameleon - 4.25lbs
    Jackal - 6.5lbs

mtbr member
    May 2005

real world weights

Quote Originally Posted by BobRocket
    The frame weights are on the Santa Cruz Website

Blur XC - 5.2lbs with Fox Float RP3
    Blur LT - 6.35lbs with Fox Float RP3
    Blur 4X - 6.4lbs with Fox Float RP3
    Noamd - 7.15lbs with Fox Float
    VP Free - 9.4lbs with DHX5
    V10 - 10.7lbs with DHX5
    Heckler - 6.5lbs with Fox Float R
    Super Light - 5.3lbs with Fox Float R
    Juliana - 5.1lbs with Fox Float R
    Chameleon - 4.25lbs
    Jackal - 6.5lbs
    Thanks mate, but I'd trust those weight as far as I could throw them.........

Between what SC state and what FOX claim for their shocks (even if you can find a claimed weight).........hence my quest for real world weights.

Anyways, there'd be only a couple of pound difference between the 2 frames, so I'd say that effectively with the right component build ie. 36 fork/DHXA you'd have a very versatile ride in the VPFree...

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo
    Thanks mate, but I'd trust those weight as far as I could throw them.........

Between what SC state and what FOX claim for their shocks (even if you can find a claimed weight).........hence my quest for real world weights.

Anyways, there'd be only a couple of pound difference between the 2 frames, so I'd say that effectively with the right component build ie. 36 fork/DHXA you'd have a very versatile ride in the VPFree...
    2 lb difference for the frame sounds about right. You'll also lose a little because of the 150mm rear hub. I don't think any light 73 X 128 cranksets are out there either. But yeah, if you're not a total weight weenie, it'll be a pretty nice AM bike. Afterall didn't Mark Weir win the Downieville race on that type setup a couple years ago? I believe he had the 8.5" i2i shock though.

Justin Vander Pol
    For an all mountain bike you're way better off getting the Specialized. I love my free, but I don't understand why folks even consider this bike for the all mountain thing - this bike has 8 freaking inches of travel and is a bit tall even for a freerider. The free also has some pretty noticeable pedal feedback while technical climbing in granny gear. Total non-issue for a DH/freeride bike, but kind of annoying if you want to use it for technical climbing.

Besides, the SX trail is best in its breed trail/light freeride bike and can take a lot of abuse. It'll be way more flickable and fun on trails and on jumps. I'd only get a free if you want to run a big fork and a slack head angle.

...just my opinionated opinion...
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by talf
    Hi
    can the vp free be also used as an all mountain bike?
    i intend to use them as an all mountain/freeride bike and need to know if they are capable
    tal
    it's possible - but why not get a Nomad? - how big of drops are you contemplating?
    Turner RFX would be another great choice (although you may not be able to get your deal on one...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thanks guys.

as for the nomad - i don't know, never liked those bike.they are nice to ride but for some stranger reason i need to like the bike i ride on

Freeriding Feline

I say Yes

It can be used as an AM bike. I take it DH at Diablo and use it to knock around on local trails too. I do end up pushing in some very steep spots, but they are the same spots I have to walk my Heckler too.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

All Mt, DH
    I have a Free and It can be used as All Mtn, but the weight does wear you down a bit. Better for the cooler weather I guess. In an All mtn sense there would be some carrying too, which make the Free a lot harder work. The Free does climb amazingly well.
    Also I have a Nomad, its awesome as an All mtn and suprsingly light considering how capapble it is.
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm currently planning a 'light' VPF build, that would be suitable for all-mountain/FR applications. I'm doing this rather than building up a Nomad for a couple of reasons: 1) The VPF is obviously a stronger frame and at leaves open the possibility for doing some bigger hits. Most of what I do could be handled by the Nomad, but I do occasionally hit some bigger drops and things, and I do not want to be limited 2) The VPF frame can be had for $500 CDN less than the Nomad frame (air shock option) I think that with an intelligent build, balancing strength and weight appropriately, the VPF can be built up to be an extremely versatile bike, capable of all-mountain and many FR applications

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    can the vp free weight be reduced to about 17-18 kg, so you can actualy pedal it for a reasonable amount of time before you give up and call for a rescue ?

what kind of fork can it handle ? i have a fox talas rc2 that i love and i'd hate to give it up

Just another FOC'er
    can the vp free weight be reduced to about 17-18 kg, so you can actualy pedal it for a reasonable amount of time before you give up and call for a rescue ?

what kind of fork can it handle ? i have a fox talas rc2 that i love and i'd hate to give it up
    17-18 kg should be easy if you don't put DH tires on it, that's hardly light.

SC's VPF geo spec say it has a 67 deg HA with a 544mm A-C fork. I think the 36 TALAS is something like 535 which means it'll have about 67.5 deg HA - perfect for AM. I'm not sure I trust SC's numbers all that much though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can easily get the VPF under 17/18 kg (37/39 lbs). Get the air shock option (it's not that much more cost than the coil - $60 CDN increase, I believe and will save a bunch of weight). As the other poster stated, keep your tires light, etc. I have no idea about the Talas, but I would be a bit worried about the HA...I guess you can always try it, and sell the fork if it's too steep for you. That fork would obviously help with weight too. I don't think that it would be that difficult to get the weight down to 35 lbs. I do not have a 100% verified weight that I trust for the VPF with the air shock, but I don't think 35 lbs is unreasonable even if SC does embellish their figures a little.