Ancient Chinese Secret

V10c short life DU bushings

I just replaced the second worn-out DU shock bushing on my V10c. It's the lower shock mount that's gone bad both times, they both went bad with about 30-40 hours of riding. This seems relatively short to me (never happened on any of my other bikes this soon) though, admittedly, I am not a smooth rider.

I'm running an RC4 on my V10 in 10" mode.

Anyone else experiencing the same? It doesn't seem normal to me.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    all the vpp bikes do this due to the large amount of rotation on the lower shock mount. I dont have a v10 but I imagine its only worse with more travel. I suggest upgrading to the 2013 plastic fox hardware or the enduro needle bearing
    Last edited by rox; 10-03-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    OK, thanks, will check in to that. Hasn't happened on either of my other VPP bikes with lots of mileage - VP Free and Nomad.

mtbr member
    Happens on my LTc and Bronson the same...lower bushing, I think bc sweat drips there too. About every few months. Gonna by a bag of them. Kinda lame.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll add DU bushings to the list of replacement parts for mine.
    By Enduro needle bearings, do you mean from the RWC website?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Get RWC needle bearing for the rear shock mount and the problem is gone for good. It also makes the rear end more sensitive (maybe not so noticeable on V10C, but on Nomad it made a huge difference).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mehukatti View Post
    Get RWC needle bearing for the rear shock mount and the problem is gone for good. It also makes the rear end more sensitive (maybe not so noticeable on V10C, but on Nomad it made a huge difference).
    THIS!

Personally I think Santa Cruz should step it up and offer them for the rear shock mount on all their VPP designs because it really is an absolute necessity! RWC's customer base is probably 75% SC owners!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah looked on their site after I posted. Will add them after the winter. With ski season coming I don't really want to be throwing a bunch of money at bikes, wait until spring to do that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    THIS!

Personally I think Santa Cruz should step it up and offer them for the rear shock mount on all their VPP designs because it really is an absolute necessity! RWC's customer base is probably 75% SC owners!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Do you know the size I need for a Nomadc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    21.85mm for both V10C and NomadC (NBKRWC2185).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy View Post
    OK, thanks, will check in to that. Hasn't happened on either of my other VPP bikes with lots of mileage - VP Free and Nomad.
    It really depends on the rider. My buddy has a Nomad C and so do I. He goes through a DU bushing about every 4-6 weeks. I get a whole season out of mine or sometimes 2x's a season. He's changed to the plastic ones and its really improved the life of his bushings and has ridden the same one for the whole season. He does a lot more tail whips than I do. He does ride about 30% more than I do but not enough to warrant replacing one every 4-6 weeks. We both had Nomad A's before we went carbon and it was exactly the same. I even bought his old Nomad A from him and didn't replace nearly as many. He's a great rider, I am merely good He also had problems with the RWC as well and I had no issues with mine.

I think the real answer is for SC to go to what Specialized has done and change the axis of the rear shock mount to horizontal rather than vertical.
    Last edited by wilsonblur; 10-05-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy View Post
    You could have worn out reducers. I find the Rock Shox reducers work much better then most others. All the eyelet "bearing systems" have the pros and cons. If you do some searching on the suspension forum you will find pros and cons with the RWC Needle Bearing, DU Bushings and the new Fox Polymer Bushings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    You could have worn out reducers. I find the Rock Shox reducers work much better then most others. All the eyelet "bearing systems" have the pros and cons. If you do some searching on the suspension forum you will find pros and cons with the RWC Needle Bearing, DU Bushings and the new Fox Polymer Bushings.
    Bro,

Here's a shout out to YOU for the tools your provide to install these fixes! Anyone reading this thread needs to hit him up for the bushing removal/install tools!!!

THANKS!

G MAN

PS - wilsonblur - I think you nailed it. Once I started riding way more aggro (really laying the bike over and side-loading the bushings) those DU bushings wouldn't last a month!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!