mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Used Blur LTC buying advice

Why does buying a Blur LTC used scare me? I guess it is because I don't know what to look for. Are these things bulletproof? How do you know if a carbon frame has been abused? What should you be worried about and what shouldn't you be worried about?

A crack is a crack. What is the equavalent of a dent in alloy? Mushed fiber? Do you have to worry about headsets or BB's getting elongated. I would guess cable rub and scratches are cosmetic, same as alloy.

When is a stone nick something to worry about?

Where do blurs suffer the most damage? Chain suck damage?

Do you have to ask if the pivot bolts have been swapped out with the non-aluminum ones?

Were there major improvements made from the first Blur ltc's made to say a 2010 model?

Thanks for all input!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Have you even seen any used ones going less than the $949.99 or $999.99 price on Chainlove???

Didn't realize looking at the Carbon........
    Last edited by lewke; 11-22-2010 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    All valid questions. When in doubt, buy new. But if you're like me, and can't afford a new carbon bike, you start looking for used. It's always a gamble, though. Better buy new. So go for the aluminum version. Do like me and get a chainlove special, and build it up. Then you know what you're getting. And keep saving your pennies, so that in a while, you can get the carbon version.

Team Sanchez
    I work for a Santa Cruz dealer, and several of my coworkers have bought and sold Blur LTc's over the past year. They have all rebought LTc's, but with the new color options. They love that bike. I'm currently on a Carbon Nomad. Most of the dings I have seen are at the lower pivot, and on the anterior portion of the driveside chainstay where chainslap occurs. From what I've seen, the nicks and dings are cosmetic and have not affected the integrity of the frame. These frames are pretty bombproof. I think you'll find that buying used carbon is not any riskier than buying used aluminum.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"