Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

uber clyde on a superlight

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  smilinsteve 
#1 ·
is it a good or bad idea? I am an uberclyde. am 6'1 and weight 330 ish. for the next year or so i plan on riding mostly on the road becasue of my work schedule will probably hit the trails once or twice a month before that. i don't plan on riding too agressively but may want to try 1 or 2 foot drops at msot. will the bike handle my fat ass? i originally planned on getting a rockhopper but decided i wanted a chameleon but now i've looked at the sc website and i realized i can get a superlight for almost the same price as the chameleon. should i even consider a fs bike at thsi weight or just go with a hardtail?

#4 ·
At your weight, I would recommend the Chameleon......especially for the type of riding that you are describing.

If you absolutely have to have a FS bike.....maybe take alook at the Nickel for a sturdier frame.

#5 ·
At your weight, I would recommend the Chameleon......especially for the type of riding that you are describing.

If you absolutely have to have a FS bike.....maybe take alook at the Nickel for a sturdier frame.

#6 ·
No way on the Superlight.

If you must have full suspension, look to low leverage designs that will take a coil shock.
You're unlikely to find an air shock that will take the kind of air pressure you will need to run.

I'd stick with the Chameleon, until you're down to just "regular clyde" status. The lateral loads on any FS frame are going to make for a noodly ride.

Best of luck in your search.

#9 ·
I would look for something with more BEEF...I'm about 220 and 2 or 3 of my riding buds are 200ish. All are late 40s / early 50's but have been doing this for years and know all the boney/technical singletrack around here well. We don't do 'big hit' stuff but this terrain is tough on the equipment and if you combine 200lbs+ with the pounding, you get broken frames. I have seen at least 10-12 failures in the last 8-10 years just from our core of 4 guys. Trek, Iron Horse, GT, Gary Fisher and Specialized frames have all gone down once or more in that time. We do ride occasionally with a guy who owns a SC Superlight...the good news - he has never had a frame go. The bad news - he's about 5'4" / 165lbs and rides about once in every 8 rides we do.

You don't mention how long you have been riding but, the more you get into it, the more fun you will be having and the harder you will be pounding that frame...guaranteed. And with your weight, you need something that can take the abuse.

I'm tired of dealing with broken frames - even ones that are warrantied. I've been without a ride now for 4 weeks and it sucks waiting for a new ride! I am going after a simple, proven, RELIABLE design with good all-round XC/AM capability and a reasonable price. Ended up choosing a SC Heckler. I'll gladly deal with a few technological shortcomings and a pound or two of extra weight if it means I'm on the trail versus waiting for my latest warranty replacement.

#10 ·
Very similar price to the Superlight, go with the Heckler. Very similar, can be built up almost exactly like the SL, but a beefier frame. Go with a coil shock, most air shocks wont be able to properly handle your weight and it will affect the ride.

Great bike, they just lowered their prices this year on the single pivots, and people that buy Hecklers love Hecklers. You wont regret it.

#11 ·
Characterzero, heavier riders have a harder time getting high leverage frames dialed in for their weight, and if they are able to, there's a small window "that works". This means running very high (read explosive) air pressures, or very heavy springs which tend to over work damping mechanisms.

maxxsta, my first suggestion, if you have a flexible budget would be something like the Foes XCT. 2:1 leverage ratio, 5.5" travel, sturdy single pivot, and a great history. They would likely get you set up right. http://foesracing.com/site/products/frames/xct/

But, augustliner's suggestion of the Heckler and coil shock is a good one too. Much cheaper, and the single pivot would probably work better at your weight. Try to avoid linkage designs like Horst or 4-bar for now, they will have too much lateral flex and you'll be rubbing tires on seat stays when you stand to hammer.

The Morewood Mbuza is worth a look too and has lots of clyde friendly features:
6" travel single pivot, 1.5" heatube, 12mm maxle rear. 2.6:1 leverage ratio.
http://www.morewoodbikes.com/bikes/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.