mtbr member
    Aug 2008

TWO TOPICS: 1.) Heckler chainstay guard 2.) Structural effect of dented swingarm

So last summer, I bought the 07.5 (08) Heckler from a LBS. Well, I only found out recently that they're supposed to come with chainstay guards. It's been almost a year since I bought the bike, and I was wondering if I should even bother asking the shop for my chainstay guard, or if I should just get a lizard skin or something...not to mention the guys at this shop get annoyed easily if I ask them for anything for free...even if it belongs to me, lol...

For the newest design, what size (Jumbo or Super Jumbo) would you recommend? By looking at the bike, I think Jumbo would fit well...

Also, I recently had the same shop (which is an authorized SC dealer) install a Monkeylite XC fork and RaceFace Atlas AM stem...when I got it back, there was a minor dent in the swingarm...it didn't take any paint off, but [SIZE="4"]I was wondering if it would sacrifice any structural integrity[/SIZE]...I'm so pissed at this shop...not to mention they f*cking chipped the paint off my rear QR handle. WHY CAN'T SHOPS TREAT EXPENSIVE ****ING BIKE AS IF THEY WERE AS EXPENSIVE/HARD TO COME BY AS THEY REALLY ARE (ESPECIALLY BIKES LIKE MY HECKLER)????

here are pics of the swingarm dent

BONUS PICS OF NEW HANDLEBAR/STEM THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Last edited by mooninitesunite; 08-17-2008 at 02:39 PM.

mtbr member
    the lack of focus hurts the eyes haha. heckler is a great bike. instead of buying a lizard skin just grab some road tape and wrap it, finish it off with some E tape. looks way better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sorry about the lack of focus. taken from a cell phone

mtbr member
    do you have any before pictures? if you do, print em out and make the shop pay for a new swingarm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GQOSE
    do you have any before pictures? if you do, print em out and make the shop pay for a new swingarm.
    Nope

That's why I want to know if the swingarm is now too weak to ride it on rough terrain, or if I can keep riding it like nothing happened

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninitesunite
    Nope

That's why I want to know if the swingarm is now too weak to ride it on rough terrain, or if I can keep riding it like nothing happened
    Nothing will happen, I've ridden aluminum frames with much bigger denting than that till they failed, and when they did fail it was not at the location of the dents.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Nothing will happen, I've ridden aluminum frames with much bigger denting than that till they failed, and when they did fail it was not at the location of the dents.
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. If I can just get multiple people to confirm that this location on the Heckler's swingarm is still strong enough w/this dent, then I'll still be a happyish camper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninitesunite
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. If I can just get multiple people to confirm that this location on the Heckler's swingarm is still strong enough w/this dent, then I'll still be a happyish camper.
    That's the only consideration to take into account, I've always dented the middle of tubes and had failures at welds, I've never dented it at a pivot, but aluminum is a pretty soft/maluable metal, I wouldn't expect a ding like that to really mess with the integrity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    By the way, for Bay Area peeps, the shop name starts with an E

(I will neither confirm nor deny any guesses either...I don't want to get blacklisted from there 3 weeks before my scheduled tune up...) They have a monopoly on the whole Santa Cruz bike scene in my area :\ or I'd go somewhere else...the owner's pretty cool and so are the workers, but I think that sometimes, some employees may not take care of the bikes too well...they do very good installations, though, and they charge WAY less than any other bike shops in the area for labor)
    Last edited by mooninitesunite; 08-17-2008 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Your situation is exactly why I don't allow others to work on my bikes. BTW a stem and handlebar are easy to install.

In any case, it would have been more appropriate to tell them about the dent at the time of pickup. Their attitude, by the way you described it, will most likely be to deny that they caused the ding. If you really can't do a tune up yourself, find an LBS that you are more comfortable at. It is not necessary to go to an authorized SC dealer.

EDIT: Evolution Bike Shop? It is the only Santa Cruz Dealer in all of the Bay Area that starts with an "E." Unfortunately, the giant sticker on your seat tube didn't anything away.

Sorry, but I love me a challenge
    Last edited by Foolish; 08-17-2008 at 05:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish
    Your situation is exactly why I don't allow others to work on my bikes. BTW a stem and handlebar are easy to install.

In any case, it would have been more appropriate to tell them about the dent at the time of pickup. Their attitude, by the way you described it, will most likely be to deny that they caused the ding. If you really can't do a tune up yourself, find an LBS that you are more comfortable at. It is not necessary to go to an authorized SC dealer.

EDIT: Evolution Bike Shop? It is the only Santa Cruz Dealer in all of the Bay Area that starts with an "E." Unfortunately, the giant sticker on your seat tube didn't anything away.

Sorry, but I love me a challenge
    was your comment about the sticker sarcastic? hahah

yes, it's Evolution, and for the most part, the guys there are really cool and knowledgeable...I just wish they took better care of my baby

My brother came over just a few hours ago and he took a quick look at it, said it's not a big deal, just like DanD said, but I'm just bitter that my beautiful, barely used Heckler has a dent in it that I DID NOT CAUSE. If I had caused the dent, the bike would wear it like a badge of honor, hahaha.
    Last edited by mooninitesunite; 08-17-2008 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish

Well, I could do the tune up myself, but the problem is that my parents, who bought the bike from this shop, are insisting I give Evolution the bike for the tuneup, because they paid 2k for the bike and were guaranteed a free first tune up (they're very serious about getting as much out of their money as possible...haha)...I mean what's really involved in a tune up? Just cleaning the bike, chain, and derailleurs and relubing them? The only real reason why I would still give it to them is that they can do an inspection of the fork/bushings/pivot/etc. to check if anything needs to be replaced, whereas I don't have the knowhow for that as of yet (still a newb)

Anyway, I'm still hoping I can go to Evolution without any more bad news like this dent...I really like their shop, they do the highest quality job on the installations themselves, and they charge WAY less than the LBS that is biking distance from me.
    Last edited by mooninitesunite; 08-17-2008 at 07:15 PM.