Lord of the Chainrings

Truvativ HammerSchmidt on a V-10

Anyone install a HammerSchmidt crankset on a V-10 yet?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Why????
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    I'd have thought the VPP was tuned to work best with a 38 tooth or so ring, so you might end up messing the chain tension / VPP relationship. But yeah, why the heck would you want to?

Now, on the new Nomad, maybe...

TNC
    noMAD man
    I was wondering the same thing. The HS' benefit is mainly being a sophisticated 2-ring derailler-less front drive/shift system. Do many people use systems other than traditional 1-ring DH-style setup on something like a V10? I'm asking, not dissin'. I'd think a VP-Free and Nomad might be better candidates. The V10 seems like a true single purpose machine with perhaps little use for a 2-ring setup. Mudd, you've had a V10, haven't you? Did you use a 2-ring setup on your previous one?

mtbr member
    I don't think any of the VPP bikes or even the single pivot bikes would make good candidates for HS right now. None of these bikes are stellar performers when they're in the granny gear (just like any bike really); most bikes pivot locations are based upon chain forces in or around the middle ring, which is the gear the majority of people tend to ride in. So you'd have to optimize the pivot locations on all of the bikes, so they can have the same characteristics they have now in a granny gear only configuration.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A V-10 with a Hammerschmidt will have a lot of pedal feedback because the chain growth will cause more pedal rotation with the smaller ring. The seat tube is so short that you can't get a good uphill pedalling position anyways so why?

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    It do have the "required ISCG tabs". I know a guy who used a Rocky Mountain RM-7 for an all mountain bike, this due to his size. He broke everything else he ever rode, so he had to go to a dh/freeride rig just to ride XC or anything else. The V-10 w/HS might actually be an option for riders such as my budd, (ironically his name is Mudd). The HS type products will change the frame/component/riding configurations down the road in my opinion. If you think the term "All Mountain" was conjured up, wait till you see how these type of new products are used to change riding.......wrap yer head around that.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    It do have the "required ISCG tabs". I know a guy who used a Rocky Mountain RM-7 for an all mountain bike, this due to his size. He broke everything else he ever rode, so he had to go to a dh/freeride rig just to ride XC or anything else. The V-10 w/HS might actually be an option for riders such as my budd, (ironically his name is Mudd). The HS type products will change the frame/component/riding configurations down the road in my opinion. If you think the term "All Mountain" was conjured up, wait till you see how these type of new products are used to change riding.......wrap yer head around that.
    For daily year-round DH training here in San Diego it would be usefull.
    Especially around here where the nearest chairlift is 100+ miles away.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by al_bullit
    I'd have thought the VPP was tuned to work best with a 38 tooth or so ring, so you might end up messing the chain tension / VPP relationship. But yeah, why the heck would you want to?

Now, on the new Nomad, maybe...
    Since I first saw the new one ring /two gear crank I have been wondering if it would muck up the chain location thing that seems be required for most suspension bikes anti-squat. Somehow I dont think this would be much of a problem for classic 4 bar systems so it doesn't surprise me that Norco is speccing the "Schmidt" on their free ride bikes.

I think that answer to this dilemma will be in the form of an idler gear that the chain runs over to get the correct chain height a bit like the Treck DH bikes a few years back. If they really got clever they could incorporate this into the crank system and have the idler's height adjustable to fine tune the peddling characteristics.

I dont know but it is an idea . . .

Stray Bullet
    The pedal kickback on the 22T chainring would be horrendous. You're better off riding a smaller bike properly designed to use a 22T.