Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

TRc vs Solo purchase insecurity

Hi. I just built up a TRc through Competitive Cyclist. It hasn't shipped yet - they are waiting on the frame to arrive in my size (small). It's expected to arrive at the end of the week and then I assume it will take a few days to build up.

A few things to put out there. I'm a 5'1" chick (28.5 inseam) and my first mtn bike was a 29er hardtail. I am a weak climber and the 29er helps, but I'm still usually the last one in our group when we go uphill. But I like rollers and going down and I like the roots and rocks and I want to get better on the technical. And I was going over some stuff on my hardtail that really made me want a FS. I tried a Niner XS (which just felt a little big for me), a Pivot Mach 4, Mach 5.7, and TRc. The TRc was the undisputed winner, so I sold my motorcycle and placed the order. I wanted to try a 27.5, but couldn't find one that fit to test - so I've never ridden one.

Wine the Juliana Furtado came out last week, I was definitely tempted and intrigued, but to be honest, and as silly as it may sound, I don't want a women's branded bike. I don't need the graphics, and to date, I haven't had any issues with the size of my grips.

But now the Solo is out. And I'm having a crisis of confidence with my purchase. Competitive Cylclist has excellent customer service, and I'm sure I could call them and cancel the order to swap for another bike. But it does seem crazy to me to spend that kind of money on a bike I've never ridden (and a size I've never ridden).

My friend tells me that I should just stick with the 26" because I'm short. But he's not a fan of 29ers in general, and thinks they are gonna go away. With the Solo coming out, I wonder if the TRc will go away. I really did like riding the TRc, but now I'm suddenly questioning my decision. Am I crazy? I feel crazy.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions welcome.

Thx,
    laine

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, you found a bike that you really like riding. I think you have your answer.

Also, you said you are a weak climber... the Solo is an AM build and will be a little heavier (versus the TRc's XC builds). Having said that, my next bike could very well be the Solo. But I am a strong climber and need more help on the downs!

mtbr member
    Aloha Laine,

I have not ridden the Solo nor the TRc. I have ridden other bikes (many) equiped 29, 26, and some 27.5. What I have found is the 27.5 in general just smooths things out just a wee bit, certainly not anything close to what a 29er does. What I do like about the 27.5 vs. the 29 is how easy it is to still flick the bike in and out of turns, especially in tight, jungle single track I ride all the time. I know the new crop of 29ers are getting better but what I've found is the 29ers tend to kind of like a tandem. Not as severe mind you but that's the idea.

The Solo has a slightly heavier frame (carbon's still light though) compared to the TRc. Oh, I am assuming you are comparing with the SoloC though. Both have about the same BB height in the end, my guess is both bikes are going to ride about the same except for the wheels. And based on my experience, the wheels do make a difference. With the larger wheels and same BB height, the stability of the bike is going to be better on the Solo vs. the TRc. Your climbing is not going to change much between the TRc and the Solo. The effective gearing (because of the size change of the tires) will cause the 27.5 to be slightly slower unless you have the conditioning.

I'd say (my opinion) is you can't go wrong with either. If you can get the Solo, you won't be disappointed. If you get the TRc, you already know you're getting a super bike. I'd personally go with the Solo. Good luck with that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    a fork with a shorter axel to crown, on the trc. will get you really close to the solo. on my medium with a 120mm lefty the bottom bracket was 12.5" on 26" wheels. on 27.5s is 13.25 standover height is 28.5 wheelbase is 43.5.
    bikes like the trc usually don't have very long runs. cannondale had one the trc is sc second rendition. but the trc frame is lighter than the solo.
    i would see if competetive cyclist will put an internal cup headset on the bottom.

Zombie Uprising
    If I were you, I would get the SC Solo carbon and if you are not comfortable with the 650b wheels on a daily basis, you can easily slap a set of trusty 26s" on it, for day to day use and keep the tweener wheels for endurance rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Your friend is nuts if he or she thinks 29ers are going away. Cancel the TRc and get the Solo. You sound like a perfect candidate for 27.5. You liked the 29er feel, but couldn't get the sizin right. The Solo adds stealth routing and the newer rear triangle design, which should be stiffer.

mtbr member
    If you liked the TrC stick with it. At your height, I think 26" wheels would be a benefit. They are lighter and easier to excelerate. The bike will be easier to throw around as well. Who ever talked you into a 29er HT should be hung out to dry. I think you will be surprised how much better you climb on a smaller bike. The 29er might have an advantage on a smooth fire road but I think you will be surprised how well a bike like the TrC climbs.

I really don't see advantages of the Solo over the TrC. The differences look negligible. There is a lot of hype surrounding 27.5 wheels. If you feel you need the latest and greatest maybe it is worth it to you. People have been loving the TrC. Now something new comes out and people act like the wheel has been reinvented. Clever marketing sells bikes. Santa Cruz has some very clever people working there.

Don't forget you will probably have to wait a while for a Solo. Get the TrC now and don't look back.

mtbr member
    The 29er was her first mountain bike. How would she know what feels better. Doesn't sound like she really liked the feel of a 29er, hence a new bike.

mtbr member

TRc vs Solo purchase insecurity

I ride a TRc with 650b's. if I were getting a bike today I'd get the Solo or a Bronson. Had a chance to ride a buddies BronsonC yesterday and was very surprised at how immediately I felt the difference between his bike and mine. Major bike jealousy. Even with the Bronson being overkill for most everything I ride I'd still really consider it because it pedals so amazingly well. Don't know if that's the new CTD vs my 2012 RP23.
    Also, I believe they've fixed the circular crack on the lower pivot issue on the newest gen frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Laine, Your crisis of confidence is well founded. You kind of answered your own question when you felt that the 29er helped your climbing. 27.5 will be perfect for you, giving climbing benefit and secondly being easier for you to wield as well.

If you have the time to wait, and if you can change frames etc, then it would be worth your while.

The Solo will be very competent at XC riding and it is light. The old Trc has 10mm axles, this will have 15mm axles as in the Bronson, as in the V10. So it isn’t as light as a Trc, but it is very good with improved strengths, reliability and suspension. For example, lighter than the even older Blur Ltc that people happily XC.

You won’t have a problem with a Solo, you will be better off. I second mestapho’s experience. The Bronson is an amazing pedalling bike. In my experience it pedals better than the Trc you are looking at. SC claim they have continued the same suspension tweaks to the Solo. Call it VPP 2.5 if you want.

With less travel than a Bronson, the Solo is going to be a stunningly good pedalling bike. Weight or pure XC heritage won’t be your problem, your problem will be that you will need to order bigger brakes. Good luck with your choice, the Trc is very classy, the new Solo will be streets ahead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Tough choice (and yet one of those first world problems). Really, you can't really go too far wrong either way. I am perfectly happy with my TRC - now on its second season. The fact that the Solo is pretty much the same geometry as the TRC but with a slightly bigger wheel is validation of the design. Solo is going to cost you another $600 and probably at least a few weeks wait. Despite all the new product on the market, tires and wheels are still a bit rare in the 27.5, though all that will all change by 2014. With the Solo you get the latest and greatest and that's probably what I would do if you don't have to wait until half way through the summer. The Solo comes with a reverb which accounts for about half the price difference.

mtbr member
    Han Solo 100% Princess Laine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Your friend is nuts if he or she thinks 29ers are going away. Cancel the TRc and get the Solo. You sound like a perfect candidate for 27.5. You liked the 29er feel, but couldn't get the sizin right. The Solo adds stealth routing and the newer rear triangle design, which should be stiffer.
    X2 on this one. I can see a where a 650b would be perfect for smaller riders.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

Hi There!
    This is intriguing...please let us know what you end up doing.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laine View Post
    Thoughts, advice, suggestions welcome.

Thx,
    laine
    Are you in a rush? If not cancel the order and wait for some reviews to come out and see if you can track down demo. You can alway buy the TRc later.

If you want to ride better in the tech [up or down] I would point you at bigger wheels and not put you on 26ers.

I'm in the market for a new MTB myself and just waiting for a few more 650B models to come out before making a choice.

Just going to bigger tires on my Nomad makes a huge difference in the tech. My bike rolls through chunk more easily and doesn't get hung up over roots. Switched my GF to the same tires and she made big leaps forward.

For tech riding not stopping or putting your foot down will be faster up and down often that means not riding the lightest bike, but the bike which rolls through it best.

I've got 29er wheels on my rigid bike and enjoy the wagon wheels there. I think 650B is going to be a great compromise between the two sizes - especially for a FS bike.

On a practical note I suspect trying to get much $$$ out of a high end 26er in a year or two is going to be hard...just like selling a highend XC 26er hardtail is now that 29ers are the wheel size of choice for that part of the bike market.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I'm still unsure. I like the idea of the slightly larger wheels for climbing, but my boyfriend thinks I should stay with the TRc for two reasons: 1) it's less money and 2) for that lower price, I'll get better hubs and wheels with the TRc build I put together.

Me, I'm not as sure. I sold my motorcycle to pay for this, and if I end up paying a couple hundred more to get a bike I will love for the next 5-10 years, that's ok with me.

I'm gonna call Competitive Cyclist in the morning and talk to them. It does seem like maybe I should put my order on hold until I can figure this out.

Does anyone know when the Solo is supposed to ship?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Get the Solo, a new and improved TRc...why not?

One thing to keep in mind and would be worth asking SC is whether the Juliana line might be shock/fork valved/tuned for lighter weight riders. So as much as you think girly bikes might be foo-foo, the shock and fork may work better for you IF there is a difference in the stock tunes.

b a n n e d
    I'm not going to lie, I've not read the rest of the posts (I'm too lazy . . . ) so sorry if this has been said . . .

Personally, I'm very interested in the Solo, but if I already had a TRc on its way, I would not change my order for several reasons:

1) The Solo is going to be at least $5-600 more . . . that does buy you some nice custom bits (see #2)

2) The TRc can take 650b wheels, and lots of people have done it with tremendous success.

3) The Solo is probably going to only be available as complete bikes for at least the next several months.

4) SC bikes take FOREVER to get . . . you may get lucky if you switch to a Solo, but you could wait months for your bike.

5) The release of the Solo does not change the fact that the TRc is a GREAT bike.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    For info, I ride a TRC. My next bike will likely be a solo mk2 or whatever comes after. Maybe. I'm going to wait another year or two and see what happens with 650B.

The Trc is a stellar bike - its now well proven, and has all the kinks worked out.
    There are a lot of people here saying how great the Solo is. remember, they HAVEN'T RIDDEN ONE! It might suck (although given SC's record, that is unlikely). You would NOT be disappointed - any limitation with the Trc is generally the rider not the bike.
    That said, if you can hold off a few more months, and don't mind wait waiting then sure, wait for some reviews, maybe a test bike, and see how things shape up. Just beware, in a few more months, there might have been a different bike announced which might look attractive... and so on... and so on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I rode my Nomadc to the Santa Cruz demo here in Albuquerque today. I rode the XL Bronson, the XL TBLTc, and the XXL TBLTc. I'm 6'4" 200lbs. I also own a 1st gen Pivot 429. I already know that I love 29ers and long top tubes from my Pivot(25.75" top tube).
    I walked away completely surprised with what I discovered. I expected to love the Bronson and was afraid that I would feel the need to sell both my bikes to get one. There's no doubt its a great bike, but definitely not for me with the way that it is currently sized. I felt extremely cramped and unimpressed. I have to say it had the same sized stem and Havoc bars just like my Nomad (which is also an XL). If it came in XXL my feelings might be different. I did really love the TBLTc. Very monster truck. The one I rode had Enve wheels (what an appropriate name!). I would love a XXL with 800mm bars and a 50mm stem. The bike just feels right at my height.

The HUGE surprise was how much both of those bikes made me appreciate my Nomad!
    The nimbleness is just so much fun! If I gave a damn about Strava times or racing I would probably give anything for the Tallboy, but since I don't, the Nomad is just so much fun! Which is what I really care about. The Nomad is most definitely easlily as fast on the tech stuff, it just requires a little more fitness and a lot more skill. But if you have the skill, the Nomad is an unbelievable trail weapon. I really missed the travel of the nomad on the other bikes. Also the feeling that the bike can handle much more abuse than I can give it. The Bronson just wasn't nearly as fast at changing and picking lines atthe Nomad and its extra rollover ability seemed negligible. I guess I just like the extremes instead of the middle of the road. When I dopurchase my next bike I would still consider 27.5 but with a different attitude (maybe with more travel?). At the moment I feel like I still have a lot to learn from riding 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Stick back with trc. the bike make u jump,Not u make the bike jump.super light weight fullsusp frame so far i think is the lightest. Lighter than epic sworks. Works perfect with fox talas 140mm fork.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I know there's always a new bike around the corner. But I feel like this case is different. It's not like I'm shopping around for other bike options. I had decided on the TRc, and suddenly, there's another variation on that bike with almost identical geometry, but one big change. I'll call Competitive Cyclist and see what they say.

What do people think the ETA is on the Solo?

Or when it might be available to test out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If I were your height I would feel like 26" wheels were made especially for me. The instant acceleration is great for standing and sprinting up technical features. Dropper post is a must though.

mtbr member
    Stick with what you know you like. 26" isn't going away (if at all) for a while yet, people have been loving 26" for a long time and having fun on their TRc's before the Solo was on the horizon.

You could potentially wait forever for 'the next big thing' in this industry. Life's too short to wait around when you could be riding
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    If you liked the TrC stick with it. At your height, I think 26" wheels would be a benefit. They are lighter and easier to excelerate. The bike will be easier to throw around as well. Who ever talked you into a 29er HT should be hung out to dry. I think you will be surprised how much better you climb on a smaller bike. The 29er might have an advantage on a smooth fire road but I think you will be surprised how well a bike like the TrC climbs.

I really don't see advantages of the Solo over the TrC. The differences look negligible. There is a lot of hype surrounding 27.5 wheels. If you feel you need the latest and greatest maybe it is worth it to you. People have been loving the TrC. Now something new comes out and people act like the wheel has been reinvented. Clever marketing sells bikes. Santa Cruz has some very clever people working there.

Don't forget you will probably have to wait a while for a Solo. Get the TrC now and don't look back.
    Have you ridden a 27.5 bike yet?

Laine- I was looking at the Julianas for my wife, but with the solo coming out I will say that the head angle has me leaning toward the Solo. My wife is an ok climber, but isn't confident on the downhills at speed. I'm hoping the Solo might help in that regard.

Keep in mind many of the people that say it's a fad probably haven't ridden one yet. I rode a 27.5 on my local trails and noticed a difference right away. It was enough to get me to test a 29er for the hell of it. I had hated 29er for a while, but that was based on paring lot rides. After a trail ride, I sold my 26er and bought a 29er.

You may also want to post in in this forum and get some womens feedback. Women's Lounge

Also, as I researched for my wife, there are a few short women riding and loving their Trance X in XS and Small- a 29er. Giant Trance X 29er - long...

I'm I really bad climber, but I think in the rocky rooty east coast trails I ride, 29er helped, not made it worse.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast