Thread: TRc stem length

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

TRc stem length

I noticed in the TRc photos thread that most folks seem to like a short stem on this bike. (I generally use a 90-100mm stem on my medium size bikes that have a TT length of around 23". My Niner has a longer TT so I use an 80mm stem on that bike.) When I built up my TRc I installed an 80mm stem based on so many others liking a short stem on this bike. 80mm is still not that short, but shorter than what I typically use.

I found that the bike's front end wandered a lot during climbs, and I had a hard time keeping the front wheel down, even when sliding up to the tip of the saddle and moving my chest down toward the bars. Overall I liked the handling and ride of the bike, but I didn't like the way it climbed. I switched to a 100mm stem and it helped a lot. The bike now climbs well. It also seems to turn better since I can more easily weight the front tire. And I don't feel like I gave up any high speed or downhill stability. For me it was a win-win. For me, it transformed the bike from something I wasn't sure I liked to one that I now want to keep.

I read a few posts from guys who got rid of their TRc's because they didn't like the way the front end wandered and lifted on climbs. Perhaps some of them just needed to use a longer stem. I know everyone is built differently and has different preferences, but for me the longer stem just worked better on the TRc.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Good observations. Demo'd the TRC a few times. it seems highly sensitive to set-up. Fun bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think it depends on your goals for the bike, I set my TRC up for the downhill so I run a 70mm stem ( going to try a 50 soon), wider bar, 2.5 minion tires and bigger rotors all I care about is the down hills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It is all about personal preference.
    I started with an 80mm stem that I had on my LT, but switched to a 60mm stem and I love the way it fees now, particularly on the downhills, much more stable and accurate. The uphills didnt feel any different at all.

If we were all the same it would be too easy.

Enjoy your bike.

mtbr member
    I've had mine with a 50, 75 and 80mm stems... I like the 80mm stem on my small TRC.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    As said above I also believe the TR is a stem sensitive bike.....it has for me anyway.

Being the same TT length as my Tallboy I went with my favorite length of 70mm (Thomson) and hated it, the front end felt heavy and hard to lift, steering was too slow.

Then I tried a RF Turbine at 60mm with 6deg rise....I got back what I was hating above, but felt cramped....so

Found a "Goldilocks" 65mm/0deg rise Atherton Pro stem and was happy for 12mths.....that is till ti went to wider bars.

Now I need something shorter again to get the balance back......anyone recommend a stem of 60mm/0deg rise that's not 200g+

BTW, "my" theory on modern day frame designs is that if you have to go longer than a 70mm stem you might have the wrong frame size...???

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Having used 100mm+ stems until recently and always felt a bit too far forward, I tried a 80mm and my whole ride improved dramatically. I am going with an 80mm on my new TRC, but will likely go smaller to 70mm.
    I think Gripo may have a point about modern frames, recent discussions regarding stem length in the TRC thread are along similar lines.

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Me, I liked a 50 with 30 inch bars. I ride that on all my bikes.

Gripo, check out Syntace Megaforce 2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    Me, I liked a 50 with 30 inch bars. I ride that on all my bikes.

Gripo, check out Syntace Megaforce 2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly the same here......

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    35mm Havoc on mine with 750mm havoc bars awesome..

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    small frame, 70mm stem, 785mm bar. same setup on all of my bikes. all their TT lengths and reaches are within a few MM of one another.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper