mtbr member

TRc shock upgrade

Thinking about upgrading my shock to a Monarch Plus or CCDBa, and had a few questions for those of you that have done it. First, with a piggyback type shock, will a water bottle still fit between down tube and shock? Also, please let me know your impressions of whatever shock you upgraded to over the RP23 or CTD. Last, if you have the CCDBa, is it regular can or HV (not sure if HV available in 200x50)?

mtbr member

Re: TRc shock upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Thinking about upgrading my shock to a Monarch Plus or CCDBa, and had a few questions for those of you that have done it. First, with a piggyback type shock, will a water bottle still fit between down tube and shock? Also, please let me know your impressions of whatever shock you upgraded to over the RP23 or CTD. Last, if you have the CCDBa, is it regular can or HV (not sure if HV available in 200x50)?
    I would be really surprised if there is a piggyback type shock, which would allow a bottle to be run on SC frames.
    I am debating the same thing though. Invest in my 650b TRc and get a better shock or Pushed rp23. Or should I just wait a bit and save for a Solo or Bronson or Pivot Mach 6 or...
    Heh.

Sunshine & Slippery Trail

Its Can Be Done

Mambrose over on Vital has a Bronson with a Monarch plus and a smaller bottle. Looks doable.

mtbr member
    Just eyeballing my TRc, I don't see why it wouldn't fit if you ran the shock upside down (bottom of shock at top tube mount). Has anyone tried this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Expatrider, Not sure about whether a bottle fits, but I put a CCDBa on my Trc and was very happy with the improvement. You could feel the difference in all areas. It notably had more traction when climbing tech stuff. But getting rowdy on little jumps and drops etc, very good. Currently I have a Kirk on my Solo, I am liking this shock a lot too. It is a fair bit lighter than the CCDBa and I like that aspect. Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was under the impression those were both more DH-oriented shocks, is that not true? Why not just get a push tune for the nice lightweight shock you've already got?
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'd be happy to try a Push, I had contacted them but unfortunately they don't service outside of the US.

It's all a matter of what compromises you are happy with Porch. You can use one on a TR and it performs better on the downs and better on the tech climbs where traction is a fight. So it enhances the bits I like the most. On the flat XC trails or up fire roads, no advantage comes into play, possibly less outright performance but I didn't really notice it - other people who like to storm the flats or fire roads probably would. Either way, the TRc begs to be ridden aggressively or determinedly, and this shock suits agressive approaches - the package comes alive.

A Push is probably a great compromise, it will give you a bit of both worlds, good XC and good downs, broaden the scope of performance over the standard set up - but that's just my guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Makes sense to me! Good luck.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Hi Expatrider, Not sure about whether a bottle fits, but I put a CCDBa on my Trc and was very happy with the improvement. You could feel the difference in all areas. It notably had more traction when climbing tech stuff. But getting rowdy on little jumps and drops etc, very good. Currently I have a Kirk on my Solo, I am liking this shock a lot too. It is a fair bit lighter than the CCDBa and I like that aspect. Cheers
    Thanks for the input. I have a CC on my Nomad and can imagine how much better the TRc would be with one, but the bottle issue is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Would a bottle fit on your Solo with the Kirk?