mtbr member
    Apr 2007

TRC rear triangle blowout

Rear wheel has felt loose the last few rides and I couldnt figure out why. Felt really sloppy coming down my local hill this weekend and I thought I heard a cracking noise. Tightened the king hub again, still loose. Pulled the lower link, cleaned and re-greased and looked for the telltale cracks around the pivot hardware...nothing. Pulled the shock... DU bushings ok. Pulled the upper link and the drive side down tube on the rear triangle just about falls off. Pulled off the lizard skin chain protector I had on there and look what I found.

Leaving for Downieville in a week Hopefully SC takes care of me!

TRC rear triangle blowout-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Man, that blows the big one! Hope you get it sorted out before your trip.

What are you planning on riding in Downieville? I'm gonna be in Tahoe the week after the 4th and am debating whether or not to go to Downieville for a day.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How did you do that, slam into a rock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It looks like an impact related break to me. They usually occur on the seat and chain stays as well. I'm sure they will take care of you promptly though. I broke a rear triangle on a blur ltc and had a new one in less than a week. good luck!
    Last edited by jpk1080; 07-02-2013 at 08:16 AM.

mtbr member
    dang. only seen that once or twice on these forums, and they generally happened when one of the axles on the upper link worked itself out, forcing one side of the seat-stay to take the entire load. good luck with your warranty and getting it all sorted out

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Always good to check for damage after an impact, even if the tube is covered.

mtbr member
    Well, if they can't get you a new rear triangle in time, you can always check out the new Bronsons at Yuba!
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Some duct tape and bailing wire will fix that right up.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Some duct tape and bailing wire will fix that right up.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    follow the tips on this post:
    Cold Weld Frame Repair!!!
    Just kidding of course...

mtbr member
    I think there may be a Bronson in his garage in 3,2,1...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Agreed it looks like an impact, but I don't recall hitting anything.

Most of the chipping / delam came from me flexing the stay once I found it and had the upper link off.

Got an RMA# from Willie this morning for an updated version as they don't have any green TRc 1 bits anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry that happened man. You might do what I did if you are in a rush. I cracked my swing arm on a blur ltc. I sent pictures tomwillie and we decided it was most likely a warranty issue. Anyways instead of having to send the swing arm, wait for them to inspect then send out another I just bought one. He sold me one at crash replacement price, it shipped out same day and I had it quick. In the meantime, I shipped mine back and after they inspected it, credited me the price I paid for swing arm. Since you need it quick and you may end up having to buy one anyway, you might try this method so you have one in time for your ride. Good luck man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Rear wheel has felt loose the last few rides and I couldnt figure out why. Felt really sloppy coming down my local hill this weekend and I thought I heard a cracking noise. Tightened the king hub again, still loose. Pulled the lower link, cleaned and re-greased and looked for the telltale cracks around the pivot hardware...nothing. Pulled the shock... DU bushings ok. Pulled the upper link and the drive side down tube on the rear triangle just about falls off. Pulled off the lizard skin chain protector I had on there and look what I found.

Leaving for Downieville in a week Hopefully SC takes care of me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	812503
    Unfortunately, I think I cracked my TRC rear triangle too...I'm really disappointed with the durability of the bikes I've owned. I have cracked the last four frames I have owned! No racing, no drops, very few crashes...just trail riding. I will contact Santa Cruz tomorrow...not sure what to do about bikes at this point; they all seem to be disposable!