mtbr member
    Feb 2010

TRc with CCDBAIR

Has anyone tried a DoubleBarrel Air on their TRc? I have not seen much/ any info on this?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I don't think you're going to find any.
    All of the builds I've seen are weight conscious. The CCDBA is a bit overkill for the TRc IMO.

mtbr member
    I agree that few are interested in this because of the weight penalty.

However, I for one, am very interested in hearing about the DB air on the TRc! It is less about weight and more about performance.

IMO, this is a perfect bike for the DB air. The DB air was produced for smaller travel bikes that focus around air shocks that want better performance. At the moment, everyone is replacing their 6 inch coils with a lighter DB air.

The RP23 works well, but I would love a bit more HSC without negatively affecting the rest of the behavior.

I have a DB coil on my other two bikes (Knolly Delirium and Podium) and it is a very active shock. I could see the DB air working well on a short travel bike - active but controlled associated with the circuit.

My concern at the moment is that many folks are running less sag to get ideal performance, which concerns me.

The sea otter is this weekend and I am looking to check it out there!

Cheers!

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post

However, I for one, am very interested in hearing about the DB air on the TRc! It is less about weight and more about performance.

IMO, this is a perfect bike for the DB air. The DB air was produced for smaller travel bikes that focus around air shocks that want better performance. At the moment, everyone is replacing their 6 inch coils with a lighter DB air.
    The DBAir was produced to work in conjuction with the DBCoil to work on the platforms the DBCoil isn't ideal for (linear & degressive bikes). It's in not designed for smaller bikes in any way more than the coil is, just different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    The DBAir was produced to work in conjuction with the DBCoil to work on the platforms the DBCoil isn't ideal for (linear & degressive bikes). It's in not designed for smaller bikes in any way more than the coil is, just different.
    I 100% agree - just the majority of shorter travel bikes tend to be air shock designed - hence my overstated assumption. You said it better than me.

The Blur TRc suspension curve- based on Linkage program - is relatively flat.

I even took the RP23 apart to find that it uses a medium size shock spacer for more progression.

So DB air would be an ideal shock for someone wanting more tunability.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post

The RP23 works well, but I would love a bit more HSC without negatively affecting the rest of the behavior.

I have a DB coil on my other two bikes (Knolly Delirium and Podium) and it is a very active shock. I could see the DB air working well on a short travel bike - active but controlled associated with the circuit.

My concern at the moment is that many folks are running less sag to get ideal performance, which concerns me.

The sea otter is this weekend and I am looking to check it out there!

Cheers!
    If there's a CCDBair that fits it stim to sell the XCc - I dont really want more tavel, but I have to say the RP23 is way underdamped in in the HSC. With recomended pressure I bottom it out pumping through G-outs or bunny hopping (on the way up!). BMX skills I guess....

also, if anyone says more travel - be on the lookout. I will find you!!!!
    More travel is rarely the answer. More Skills.
    ORP

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Any updates/experiences on this topic so far?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I seem to remember there is guy in the large TRC thread did have one fitted on a test its quit a way in around page 13 plus if that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Part way down the page Williamk.
    Blur TRc pictures

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank you very much! I already read the review from WilliamK some time ago and I wonder if in the meantime some other riders gained some experience with this shock in the TRC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yep I am still running my CCDBa. In my opinion it works great. I feel that there is a noticeable improvement in every department of the bikes performance. On that basis I was willing to take a small weight penalty as a matter of merit.

Improved composure, improved traction on climbing and a smoother ride.

In my home turf, I climb to earn my turns – I don’t notice the weight, and as Dude says, it is more about the performance. My bike is a couple of 100grams heavier yes, but I clean more stuff on the climbs. I do climb a lot of ungroomed technical single track – rock and root G outs, loose switch backs etc.

Recently I have come back from a riding trip in New Zealand. I rode cross country and I rode the shuttle at Rotorua. Confidence into the rough, or berms with brake bumps – it’s noticeably better. Note, I went there with the same bike in February, just with a standard air shock – it was much faster and more confident in attacking inventive lines = more fun. Jumps track is super fun – actually I think this bike should be called the Blur Rotorua – it is the perfect bike for this place. Nomad like performance, but with better cornering and manoeuvrability.

I run the sag at 38%. It is pretty happy there. Haven’t had an issue with running out of travel or being too soft riding XC trails. And even though there is more sag using up some travel it still definitely handles more rough and bigger rough. Jumps are tackled with easy.

If you ride well groomed XC trails only, then for the money, you won’t appreciate the shock’s improvements quiet as much, you will feel some though. On smooth XC stuff, run your normal air shock, and even run a 120mm front fork. It makes for a super quick fun bike on mellow trails – I’ve tried it and it is a gas (very 4x and jump bike like, with a little extra cushion).

If you have some downs, some bumps and small drops – then I reckon you can start looking at this shock and start to get a greater return on its performance.

If I get a Tallboy LTc or a Spider Comp next year (don’t tell the wife), I will be running a CCDBa on this next bike as well. Only because I think that currently, it is the air shock standard for me and where I like to ride.

Yep, there is a price and weight hurdle to jump and I fully understand people's reluctance. I hesitated for a little too. I was very luck, my LBS leant me one to try out. So I got to demo one first. In the end, the shock spoke for its self, I paid the price and took the small weight penalty and I have been very happy with the result - if that helps. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I can't help but imagine the DBa on my Tallboy LTc. Thanks for the feedback WilliamK. Let us know if you get a 29er.

mtbr member
    WilliamK, do you know what size CCDBA you're running? I ask for a couple of reasons, first, when you originally wrote your review I didn't think the CCDBA was available for the proper size at that time. Cane Creek told me it would be available around the end of October. (I know they are available now.) Second, my understanding of the shock is that (at least with the old canister) the shock would become more progressive as it neared the end of travel. If my understanding is correct then I wonder a different sized shock would cause a slightly different feel than the correct size? If I'm way off here please let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @ WilliamK: Thank you very much for your review. Sounds very promising