Cheesiest

Trail Bullit Setup Q's

The "Trail Bullit" thread has me thinkin' about some part swaps. Right now, I am fairly pleased with my setup, but...

I am trying to tow the line between trail/enduro bike and DH/FR rig. I would like to be able to swap out minimal components (just a wheelset, ideally) to go back and forth between these two setups. I'm planning on getting a 66 of some sort, a pair of Hone cranks, and a set of hydros.

The thing I'm not sure about is what set of hydros. The obvious choice seems to be Hayes Mags, but I think that either Saint or Hone brakes would be a good alternative. The Hones are my first choice, because I'm sort of strapped for cash, but I haven't read much about their performance.

Any other suggestions?

BTW-I have a MRP LRP on the way

mtbr member
    Oct 2003

66 Light ETA

I just got a 66 Light with the ETA on it for my Bullit. Really nice setup for FR/DH/AM. I'm assuming you're talking resort DH and not racing as I wouldn't suggest it for that.

The ETA on the 66 is much better than the Firefly or Flick as it is very smooth and you still have some travel in the fork - doesn't just lock out in the lower position. Makes climbing alot easier if you don't have 7" of travel working against you.

That combined with an e-13 DRS setup - the bike can go just about anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can ride DH on any fork as long as you watch your lines / speed. Personally, I rode my Bullit last season with a Super T and a Shiver DC. The DC's allowed me to plow on the DH runs rather than fight my way thru rocks. I ran the same wheelset (Mavic 729's) but just switch out forks & tires - 150mm Z1 for trail, DC for DH.

TNC
    noMAD man

Hone crankset.

Hone and LX cranksets are the same...just the finish or paint jobs are different. That's not a bad thing, as they are both the thru-axle, external bearing design just like XT and XTR. The Hone/LX is a strong design and a great bargain. This is a Hone crankset on the Bullit in this pic. Since then the big ring was replaced by an e-13 bashguard and MRP-LRP chain roller and arm. This 33lb. Bullit is capable of just about any type of riding except extreme freeride...and that because of the CrossMax XL wheels. The wheels are extremely strong, but "big" drops and crazy hucking would probably take their toll. The Van 36 fork is extemely capable. A Marz 66SL would also be a good choice to keep the weight down but still be capable of big riding.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cheesiest
    Thanks for the advice.

The 66 Light, Hones, Saint Brakes, and Crossmax XL's would probably be perfect. I don't intend to go "crazy huge" anytime soon. I really thought long and hard deciding between the Heckler and the Bullit, but figured the Bullit would be okay on trailrides and more ideal for lift-accessed riding than the Heckler.

Now, to save up the cash.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

66 on med. bullit

Quote Originally Posted by a001bill
    I just got a 66 Light with the ETA on it for my Bullit. Really nice setup for FR/DH/AM. I'm assuming you're talking resort DH and not racing as I wouldn't suggest it for that.

The ETA on the 66 is much better than the Firefly or Flick as it is very smooth and you still have some travel in the fork - doesn't just lock out in the lower position. Makes climbing alot easier if you don't have 7" of travel working against you.

That combined with an e-13 DRS setup - the bike can go just about anywhere.
    I have a 66sl coming in for my med bullit. Right now I have a '05 66rc and looking at it with a flatter or higher crown on the 66 it looks like the crown might hit the downtube. I have a chris king headset. How is the clearance on yours?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

trailz

Looking at your bike:

Needs more Thomson, Hydro brakes for DH for sure, 2.5 &2.3 Maxxis single plys slow reezay, 32x34 single ring set up (cuts out shifter front mech and cables plus small ring ), VAN 36 RC2, Should be a good start. Dunno who makes a light tough saddle that would help also.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmacheen
    Looking at your bike:

Needs more Thomson.............. 32x34 single ring set up (cuts out shifter front mech and cables plus small ring ),

as in, the stem? he's already got a Thomson post......

and he's already running a single ring up front....

did you even look at his bike?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper