mtbr member
    May 2015

Too little sag at correct shock pressure????

Just got new 5010 and I'm trying to set up my rear shock. I set it at the correct pressure for my weight and I get half the sag SC recommends. I had to deflate the shock 40psi below the pressure sc recommends before I got the 1/2" sag sc recommends. Anyone know what's going on here? Should I just go by sag, or psi? Will the shock break in and these two will level out eventually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Ninja
    Don't stick to either to find your ideal setup. They're both merely guides to get you started. Carry tools with you to fine-tune on the trail until you find a setup you're happy with.

mtbr member
    Work off of sag to start unless you are already tuned in to how you want your suspension to feel.
    You don't know if your shock gauge is accurate. There can be a bit of variance.
    Manufacturers PSI and suggested sag are guidelines-starting points.
    Seated sag or sag measured while standing?
    It will be different for the same PSI depending on whether you are standing or sitting.
    Also, you can often get the same amount of initial visible sag over a wide range of PSI.
    Best thing to do is to stick with one shock pump and find the initial sag you like.
    Once you get the sag where you want, then check the PSI on the pump.
    Use the same pump for that psi/sag and you'll be good.
    I've got a bunch of shock pumps and the gauge reading are all over the place.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Screw the "suggested" sag settings by weight. You want to use your suspension, front and rear, to its fullest for the conditions of YOUR ride. Start off with 30% sag and go ride your regular trail like you stole it. Where's your o-ring indicator sitting AFTER that ride and all the usual hits you encounter? If you haven't used all, or come pretty close to using all of your travel, you're leaving suspension performance on the table. If it's the opposite, add air until you hit it right. Sometimes an air volume spacer needs to be added so you can keep the pressure up and still consume travel. Cross that bridge when you get to it.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Make sure your shocks compression circuit adjust lever is in the fully open position. Might be a variance in your position on the bike or how accurate your pump gauge is. Just sit on the bike w/ your static weight and add or remove air according to the position of the travel o-ring on the damper body.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for the responses! I think I'll start with sag and see where it goes from there. I like the idea of getting it to where I'm using as much of the travel as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk