Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Redneck Mt.biker
    Reputation: Muddy Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    98

    Cool-blue Rhythm Too Boxxer or not too Boxxer?

    I need help everyone! I have a chance to get a brand new Rock Shox Boxxer World cup fork for my Heckler for just $599. Now my problem is would a boxxer be a worth while upgrade to a pike SL that's on my Heckler now? I love the Pike and don't have any complaints but it's a freakin Boxxer world cup! I've had dreams of such a fork for years but the $$$ has kept Me at bay. So I know I could run the Boxxer at 6" of travel but does the loss in turning radius make a difference? As far as what kind of riding I do,
    I lately have been jumping 3-6 foot drops and pulling a mix of nasty single track and down hill antics. So What the hell should I do? I'm spazzing out over this fork! Heck I could buy it for the great price and just put it aside as a goody for the next build up.
    So unleash your info on Me.

  2. #2
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Bike
    I need help everyone! I have a chance to get a brand new Rock Shox Boxxer World cup fork for my Heckler for just $599. Now my problem is would a boxxer be a worth while upgrade to a pike SL that's on my Heckler now? I love the Pike and don't have any complaints but it's a freakin Boxxer world cup! I've had dreams of such a fork for years but the $$$ has kept Me at bay. So I know I could run the Boxxer at 6" of travel but does the loss in turning radius make a difference? As far as what kind of riding I do,
    I lately have been jumping 3-6 foot drops and pulling a mix of nasty single track and down hill antics. So What the hell should I do? I'm spazzing out over this fork! Heck I could buy it for the great price and just put it aside as a goody for the next build up.
    So unleash your info on Me.

    what year? 7" or 8" ? if all you're doing is dropping, it might be fine, but for general riding, that is going to chopper that bike out quite a bit. the frame can likely handle it just fine. not sure about the warantee though. how large of a fork can you use without voiding it? not seeing anything on the SC website on that. ( i'm sure someone will chime in here with that info)

    the main thing i'd worry about is how much climbing do you need to do for your rides? going from a 140mm pike to a 170-180mm boxxer is going to make climbing much more difficult.

    what about shopping for a boxxer ride, for a bit more money? drop travel down to 133mm to climb, crank it back up to 178mm for the downs?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  3. #3
    3.14159265358979323846
    Reputation: velocipus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,859

    Too Boxxer

    Are you crazy? Grab that Shite!!!

    Before I do!

  4. #4
    Redneck Mt.biker
    Reputation: Muddy Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    98
    It's a 05'. I don't know if I should go for it or not. I just looked at some reviews and came up with mixed thoughts. Alot of people love the 05' world cup and some seem to hate it with a passion. So what the heck am I dealing with here. It's bad enough having to make a choice on buying it let alone not knowing if it's a good fork or not. :rolleyes.....I'm

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Bike
    I need help everyone! I have a chance to get a brand new Rock Shox Boxxer World cup fork for my Heckler for just $599. Now my problem is would a boxxer be a worth while upgrade to a pike SL that's on my Heckler now? I love the Pike and don't have any complaints but it's a freakin Boxxer world cup! I've had dreams of such a fork for years but the $$$ has kept Me at bay. So I know I could run the Boxxer at 6" of travel but does the loss in turning radius make a difference? As far as what kind of riding I do,
    I lately have been jumping 3-6 foot drops and pulling a mix of nasty single track and down hill antics. So What the hell should I do? I'm spazzing out over this fork! Heck I could buy it for the great price and just put it aside as a goody for the next build up.
    So unleash your info on Me.

    Heckler & DC fork... doesn't seem like a common match-up. I have trail ridden Bullit that I will switch from a SC to a DC. The DC adds weight and raises the front, both hinder climbing. If you are doing little climbing and want a slacker HA a DC fork is ok.

  6. #6
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Bike
    It's a 05'. I don't know if I should go for it or not. I just looked at some reviews and came up with mixed thoughts. Alot of people love the 05' world cup and some seem to hate it with a passion. So what the heck am I dealing with here. It's bad enough having to make a choice on buying it let alone not knowing if it's a good fork or not. :rolleyes.....I'm

    it's still a race fork. save a little more cash up and go for an 06 model year Ride. 5-7" on the fly travel adjust, Motion Control damping, Maxle QR 20mm setup. if you want to get a Boxxer to trail ride with, and have it set lower into it's travle this new one is a no brainer, IMO.

    still more travel than you have now, and a much more versatile fork for a trail bike type setup. at least from what you describe you're doing with the bike.

    i just swapped the MoCo damping unit into my 05 Ride. on the front of a bullit-clone bike. i've done some fairly steep and switchbacky up and down riding with it, and have not been hampered by the top crown so far. the 05 and06 model years have the same crowns/turning radius, aparantly much improved from the previous years.

    see here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...28664#poststop
    no ride report on the new parts yet, but soon. moab for 5 days starting tomorrow.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobsterCraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,417
    I don't see why you would ever put a boxxer on a heckler, that just sounds silly. The right fork for a heckler is the pike, Z1 or 36, AM1, or maybe a 66SL. Boxxer is going to be all wrong for a heckler.

  8. #8
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,461
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    I don't see why you would ever put a boxxer on a heckler, that just sounds silly. The right fork for a heckler is the pike, Z1 or 36, AM1, or maybe a 66SL. Boxxer is going to be all wrong for a heckler.

    FWIW, I agree. But if he's insisting on wanting one, at least the Ride can be setup short or long, travel wise.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •