mtbr member
    Oct 2004

TNC?? Which Air SHock on a 01 Bullit?

Cont from another thread..

Building a 01 (m) Bullit lite for a bro with a Nixon fork. Looking for air shock advice.

What size should I get to make the HA 68d?

&

What's a good shock that will pedal well and not DHX$ me?

TNC
    noMAD man
    If you want to stay relatively slack on an '01 model with a Nixon, you'll probably want to stay with the stock 7.875 X 2.25 which will give 5.8" of travel. Going to the next size 8.5 X 2.5 version with a 140mm fork will proably be a little tall in back, but will still work extremely well IMHO. Keen has done actual calculations on the HA you get with an older Bullit ('99-'02) with different shocks and forks. On my '99 I stayed with 7.875 X 2.25 until I went with a 6" or taller fork.

Air shocks that work really well on the Bullit that I've tried are the Manitou 4-Way Air and DHX-Air. I've even had a Cloud 9 on my '99 for awhile, and it worked surprisingly well, though it was a little more active than I like. If you don't go with a stable platform air shock on the Bullit, I think you'll find it a little too active most of the time. And yes, they will be a little more expensive, of course. I think if you try an RP3 or other stable platform non-piggyback model, it will be a little harsh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    If you want to stay relatively slack on an '01 model with a Nixon, you'll probably want to stay with the stock 7.875 X 2.25 which will give 5.8" of travel. Going to the next size 8.5 X 2.5 version with a 140mm fork will proably be a little tall in back, but will still work extremely well IMHO. Keen has done actual calculations on the HA you get with an older Bullit ('99-'02) with different shocks and forks. On my '99 I stayed with 7.875 X 2.25 until I went with a 6" or taller fork.

Air shocks that work really well on the Bullit that I've tried are the Manitou 4-Way Air and DHX-Air. I've even had a Cloud 9 on my '99 for awhile, and it worked surprisingly well, though it was a little more active than I like. If you don't go with a stable platform air shock on the Bullit, I think you'll find it a little too active most of the time. And yes, they will be a little more expensive, of course. I think if you try an RP3 or other stable platform non-piggyback model, it will be a little harsh.

Thanks for the info. Is there a way to mount a 8.5 X 2.5 shock directly to the frame to maintain a 68d HA with a 140mm fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    Thanks for the info. Is there a way to mount a 8.5 X 2.5 shock directly to the frame to maintain a 68d HA with a 140mm fork?
    Sure you can direct mount an 8.5" shock. Just copy / paste the link for a picture of my 01'. Shuttle forward, use the first shuttle hole to secure the front eye of the shock. You end up w/ a 6mm bolt instaed of an 8mm. I run a 2.3 rear tire so make sure you check your tire clearance.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...x/IMG_3796.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Another note - with the 8.5" shock direct mounted your HA may be slacker than 68*. MY HA with a 538mm a-c fork is 65*. Using a 7.875 eie shock allows full shuttle adjustment. The 8.5" shock emulates the 7.875 shock with the shuttle forward. An angle protractor is a good tool to gauge suspension mods.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Another note - with the 8.5" shock direct mounted your HA may be slacker than 68*. MY HA with a 538mm a-c fork is 65*. Using a 7.875 eie shock allows full shuttle adjustment. The 8.5" shock emulates the 7.875 shock with the shuttle forward. An angle protractor is a good tool to gauge suspension mods.
    65d is a bit too slack for what I'm trying to build. I think my best bet is a 7.7875 x 2.25 Swinger 4 way.. I wonder if anyone has a used one....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    65d is a bit too slack for what I'm trying to build. I think my best bet is a 7.7875 x 2.25 Swinger 4 way.. I wonder if anyone has a used one....
    I have a 65* HA w/ a taller fork. Your fork may yeild a 66-67* HA with a 8.5" shock. Best call Manitou and see if they even make a 2.25 stroke air shock. I thought the Fox DHX was the only one. I just purchased my 8.5" x 2.5" Fox RP3 AVA - may end up selling it. I also purchased a supposed 8.75 x 2.75 Swinger 4 way air ( For a VP Free) turns out it is a 8.5 x 2.5. I might keep the swinger for FR, so the RP3 might go for sale if interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Went with the fox with propedal and a nixon on the front:

Bike to the Bone...
    Went with the fox with propedal and a nixon on the front:
    Edge... nice bike! Just get some Salsa silver QR for the seatpost and you're all set!

Dirt Diva Little h
    Sorry to steal the thread but can you mount a 7.5 X 2.0 air shock on an 04 bullit? Any idea the travel? Do I need any special spacers?
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

TNC
    noMAD man

Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by heather@thebakkers.com
    Sorry to steal the thread but can you mount a 7.5 X 2.0 air shock on an 04 bullit? Any idea the travel? Do I need any special spacers?
    Depending on the year model it might be possible. If it's an '03 or later (gusseted head tube model with 8.5" shock), I kinda doubt it. You'd need spacers to fit the shock mounts on a Bullit, 22mm X 40 something if I recall. You'd get just a bit over 5" of travel with a 2" stroke. I used a 7.875 X 2.0 Manitou 4-Way Air on my '99 model, and it worked satisfactorily. It would easy to test your bike for fitment of a 7.5" shock by removing your shock and measuring the eye-to-eye shock mount holes in your frame at 7.5". At that point, check for any interference or contact issues...or anything else that looks amiss. You'll get a noticeable lower BB height also, which might be a problem for clearance and pedal smacking...but maybe not.

Dirt Diva Little h
    Thanks for the info. Ithough I might have some spacer issues I will ahve the look in the tool box and see what i have!
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double