mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Tires for Heckler

So I got my new heckler and took it out for a couple rides. Considering changing tires. The current setup has been my first forray into tubeless and so far I really like being able to take advantage of the lower tire pressure and the weight savings, but the Ignitors I'm not so crazy about. I am an agressive AM rider, used to DH tires and I tend to take corners hot and lay into them. When the rubber doesn't hook up, I go down and now that I am riding clipped again about 60% of the time... not pretty.

Looking in the 2.35 - 2.4 range. Suggestions? Experience? Post up.

Things I'm Considering:
    Highroller UST front and back.
    Highroller UST back and Ardent Front.
    Nevegal UST 2.35 front and rear.
    Advantage rear Ardent front.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Try out the tire/wheel forum. Lots of (sometimes good) info on tires.

mtbr member
    I had the Continental UST 2.4 - they are kind of skinny for a 2.4 and don't hook up all that well.

I just put on Nevegal 2.35 UST's and they are really, really good for aggressive AM, IMO. I'm about 220 geared up and I'm running 30psi.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    1. I would not buy tires based on the bike, more on the local terrain. Might want to post up in your local forum.
    2. Lots of discussion on wide USTs...just search!
    Where are all the wide UST tires?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the input. Sorry to take up space on the forum. I just found the "Wheels/tires" forum. didnt know it existed!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76
    Thanks for the input. Sorry to take up space on the forum. I just found the "Wheels/tires" forum. didnt know it existed!!

I never used it until I went UST.

And FWIW, tire size is somewhat dictated by the frame....If you are going really big on tires (ie:2.6) you should ask around to ensure it will clear your chainstays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm good there. My Heckler will take a 2.5 w/o a problem and I am looking to stay in the 2.35-2.4 range (and I mean a real 2.35 not the supermodel thin 2.35 ignitors).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76
    I'm good there. My Heckler will take a 2.5 w/o a problem and I am looking to stay in the 2.35-2.4 range (and I mean a real 2.35 not the supermodel thin 2.35 ignitors).
    Right on, I understand - my Terremoto has pretty good clearance.

I picked up a 2.2er, 2.35 Ignitor that I tried to run at the same PSI as I had run nevegals tubed - pinch flatted that mofo! I have since run a Spec. Enduro (kick ass but impossible to find) and a Specialized Eskar (currently) and do like the Spec. Eskar - good volume, but maybe dangerously thin sidewalls (from what I hear) - actually have to run it higher pressure than i ran tubed...40psi. I have a big betty UST on the way too...will try that at some point.