mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Tips on Buying Used SCB Carbon Frames

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a Blur LTc frame. I've found a couple on the used market (online). They cost WAAY less than the used ones locally - and i definitely can't afford a new one from the local distributor.

As far as I know the warranty on carbon frames only applies to the original owner so I'd want to get the most well maintained frame I could. And since I'm really not that familiar with signs of wear and tear on carbon, could you guys give me tips on what to check? i.e. what do 'frame life threatening' scratches and nicks look like on carbon? what parts get the most wear and tear? how much scratches should be on a certain area? Is drilling holes into the frame's tubes (for dropper posts) a deal breaker?

mtbr member
    Have you checked chain love and competitive cyclist? Some great deals to be had on new (2012 model) BLTc. They are probably more than the used ones, but how much is a 5 warranty worth to you? This is the way to go if you afford it. Otherwise, yes, a hole drilled in the frame is a deal breaker. Deep scratches, gouges, are a deal breaker. Used carbon is tricky. Only real way to see damage that may not be apparent is x-ray.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Have you checked chain love and competitive cyclist? Some great deals to be had on new (2012 model) BLTc. They are probably more than the used ones, but how much is a 5 warranty worth to you? This is the way to go if you afford it. Otherwise, yes, a hole drilled in the frame is a deal breaker. Deep scratches, gouges, are a deal breaker. Used carbon is tricky. Only real way to see damage that may not be apparent is x-ray.
    Was actually eyeing the 2012 frames from competitive cyclist. it's a bit over budget though but I can reach it if I have a little bit more time to save. I hope they have lots of 2012 stocks on hand

Competitive cyclist did mention that it's a 2 year warranty though, not 5. Maybe the 5 is for the brand new frames?

mtbr member
    No - it used to be 2 years, but is now 5. If you buy from CC, then it is considered new, even if last years model, and you get the 5 year warranty. Just be sure to keep that proof of purchase in case you need it!!

mtbr member
    You can also ask the local guys to lower the price.
    Used carbon has risks and like said before there is no good way to know what's happening under the paint. As far as "well maintained" there isn't much to maintain in carbon frame. Its more the linkage and the shock, both are fixable if you have a problem later. It's more about finding a frame that was not beat up. Really the best option is to find a new frame on sale, 2012 model most likely. Act on it fast because at those prices inventory will run out.
    Or wait until I get my Bronson and buy my frame