Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Time for a new Santa Cruz - What sould I get???

I currently ride a Blur LT-2 Annodise Aluminum with a Boostvalve shock that I've had for about a year. Before that I had a BLT-2 painted w/RP-23. I'm ready to try another rig and the two on my list are a BLur LT Carbon or a Tllboy Carbon. I didn't want another 29er or carbon bike until I rode a Tallboy carbon and felt how efficient and stiff it was. When I researched farther, I found out SC has a great track record with carbon bikes reliability.

The type riding I do is basic XC/trail riding and do not jump. I like the efficiency, stiffness and comfort of my Blur but it'd be nice if it were a little peppier. The Tallboy was peppier but not as plush but plush enough for my trails and riding style.

I've never ridden a Blur Carbon so I don't know what the advatages would be over the aluminum version I already have. I'm assuming it'd be stiffer and hope it would be more efficient/peppy pedaling but may not be.

Anyone with advice?

b a n n e d
    Blur TRc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yup Blur TRC are amazing, I have a Alum Nomad VPP2 and love it, I was set on getting a carbon nomad in the spring, but I have been trying a TRC and will get one of those instead. It handles better then the nomad, it's 7 lbs lighter and and pops/ manuals way easier. The bike is just plain fun. I never thought I would go less then a nomad but the TRC is unreal

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    TRC is 120mm or 140mm travel bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What about strictly between the BLTc and the Tallboy though? Any replies?

mtbr member
    This may come as an off the wall suggestion, but how about a BLTc w/ 650b wheels? I have a Blur LT2 with 650b wheels and it is da bomb. If you have a Fox fork, the wheels fit front and rear. Stans now has Flow and Crest rims in 650b.

I've ridden the bike w/ 26" wheels and did an extended demo on a FS 29er (giant anthem) and I'd take the 650b blur LT over both.

That being said, I have heard first hand that the Tallboy is awesome.

You can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    I have had - S/C Nomad MKII , Blur LT2-A w Fox RP-23 BV, Blur LT2-carbon w Fox RP-23 BV ... When I got the S/C TB carbon for this past season. I sold my two Blur LT2 - carbon & Alum. For the Trails and what you said you're looking for. The S/C TallBoy is The Bike !!! For the plushness, there are plenty of things you can do. Go tubeless, different front & rear shock options. I will never go back to a 26 inch for the trails.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The only downfall with the BLT c is the head angle. The the TRC is 67 head angle with a 130 fork which is the same as the nomad and with a 140 mm fork it goes to 66.5. I think if the LT c was a 67 head angle it would be much better however I wish they would throw ISGS tabs on the TRC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beater View Post
    The only downfall with the BLT c is the head angle. The the TRC is 67 head angle with a 130 fork which is the same as the nomad and with a 140 mm fork it goes to 66.5. I think if the LT c was a 67 head angle it would be much better however I wish they would throw ISGS tabs on the TRC.
    I believe the TRC head angle is 68 degrees -- not 67 -- with a 130 mm fork.
    Ibis HDR 650B
    650b/27.5: "Quite literally the best of both worlds."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970 View Post
    I have had - S/C Nomad MKII , Blur LT2-A w Fox RP-23 BV, Blur LT2-carbon w Fox RP-23 BV ... When I got the S/C TB carbon for this past season. I sold my two Blur LT2 - carbon & Alum. For the Trails and what you said you're looking for. The S/C TallBoy is The Bike !!! For the plushness, there are plenty of things you can do. Go tubeless, different front & rear shock options. I will never go back to a 26 inch for the trails.

Nice info!!! Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    TRC seems cool but I had a Spider 2 for a while and honestly I thought my BLT pedaled better and handled as well so I sold it and kept mt BLT-2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You know what is crazy is I could have sworn the SC website had 67 before for the geo on the TRC but now it is saying 68. I may have been crack before. I stand corrected on that

mtbr member
    May 2006
    my 2 cents. i've got a nomad pretty well kitted out at 30lbs. i've also got a 2009 stumpjumper 29er with 4 inches of travel. the vast majority of my riding is pretty straightforward trail riding that isn't too technical. I LOVE the 29er.
    this spring I will be building a carbon tallboy - i cannot wait!
    (but i will keep my nomad forever as its so damn fun)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I ride a BLTc and demo'd a Tallboy for the day last year to see what all the hype was about. Well, after a full day on the Tallboy I was blown away.

I'll make it easy for you, if I had to do it all over again i'd take the Tallboy over the BLTc. Unfortunately, the Tallboy wasn't available when I purchased the BLTc. The Tallboy can handle anything the BLTc can and leave you less battered and bruised with more energy at the end of the day.

Forget the TRc, BLTc, Nomadc... all 26" dinosaurs. 29ers are the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brumos View Post
    I ride a BLAck and demoed a Tallboy for the day last year to see what all the hype was about. Well, after a full day on the Tallboy I was blown away.

I'll make it easy for you, if I had to do it all over again i'd take the Tallboy over the BLTc. Unfortunately, the Tallboy wasn't available when I purchased the BLTc. The Tallboy can handle anything the BLTc can and leave you less battered and bruised with more energy at the end of the day.

Forget the TRc, BLTc, Nomads... all 26" dinosaurs. 29ers are the future.
    I agree with you 100% !!! 29er's for trail, 26'' For DH & FR ... One of my friends had said to me. '' Bro when you build up that TallBoy carbon, Those two Blur LT2's of yours, are gonna sit and gather dust on them'' He was So So So right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    OK sorry to hi-jack the thread a little bit, Ive got a banshee rune atm and the rear end is flopping about like a wet kipper.
    So I ordered a Alu Nomad with a Fox RC4 on it months back and its still not arrived, however they have a Carbon Nomad in my size but with only a Non Kashima coated RP23 for not a lot more and its in stock! my question, punt the extra for the carbon with a lesser shock or wait it out to get the alu??

mtbr member
    I would go with the Carbon Nomad. Then look for a left over Fox RC4 shock, on-line or on E/Bay or CL ... Keep the Fox RP-23 as a back up shock or sell it ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Well, I found a buyer for my Blur and a Tallboy at a serious year end discount so I put a deposit on it. Soooo, we'll see how it goes but judging from the demo I rented this should be a great bike!

mtbr member
    Congrats Bro !!! Welcome to the TallBoy club ... I would get the skid plate ... Note- Guy mtbr.com sells them - Do search mtbr.com it should pop up ... Also, I would buy ... The Santa Cruz down tube protector - I bought two, one for my 2010 S/C Blur LT2 carbon ... One for my TallBoy ... Well worth it ... It's listed as Blur LT c down tube protector ... Note- They S/C might be out of stock on them ... I ordered some New S/C T-shirts from the S/C web store and didn't see it listed ... PS Fork on your TB ... Go with a 120mm ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beater View Post
    which is the same as the nomad and with a 140 mm fork i
    But the nomad is a 160mm bike
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What's the difference between a skid plate and a down tube protector?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks JohnnyG, In a fit of madness i took my old rune to the shop on Saturday @4pm and said give me the carbon hour and a half later all the bits swapped over and new reverb fitted and out the door! Just got back 40km of single track in the rain and muck! and i have to say it is fantastic, im even impressed with the RP23 which is something i really wasnt sure about. Pedals far better than the rune and seems to just pop over rocks and drops, very happy indeed! just got to get all the protection stuff sorted before I hammer it too hard!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    So I'll be stone broke for a while after I pick this up but later on I'd like to score some lighter wheels that are still durable. I weigh 230 lbs so I can't go super light but I'm guessing there's still something out there that is lighter and still durable enough for my weight. I'm not an abusive rider btw.

mtbr member
    The Down tube protector is a long thick pad that sticks on the DT ... The skid plate- is plastic & protects the bottom linkage and some of the down tube ... IMO - A must for the TB carbon !!!
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 10-10-2011 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I would go with- No tubes Stan's ZTR Flows 29er @ Bob's Bicycles for $545.00 ... Killer Deal ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast