Thread: Thru axle hubs

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thru axle hubs

Hi all,

does anybody know what thru axle hubs are provided with Santa Cruz AM kits? In p
    articular I'm interested in the R AM kit (for an Heckler, if this can help).

Thanks,

b3n

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by b3n
    Hi all,

does anybody know what thru axle hubs are provided with Santa Cruz AM kits? In p
    articular I'm interested in the R AM kit (for an Heckler, if this can help).

Thanks,

b3n
    I know that some of the kits come with the DT Swiss 340's 20mm hub.

mtnibkej

one more time
    Oct 2005
    my nomad came with standard AM build - has DT swiss 340 rear hub and White industries through axle front hub. Check the santa cruz website - should show you standard build kit specs...

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by benzology72
    my nomad came with standard AM build - has DT swiss 340 rear hub and White industries through axle front hub. Check the santa cruz website - should show you standard build kit specs...
    I've searched Santa Cruz web site but I can't find how the front hub changes if you choose a thru axle fork. Since there are not so many thru axle hubs manufacturers (and DT Swiss seemed too much quality for an R kit) I was wandering what they were shipping. White Industries? Never heard of them (sorry): opinions?

Thank you for the answer,

b3n

one more time
    Oct 2005
    b3n - yeah i checked the website and it does not go into that detail... sorry mate.

Actually my rear hub is a DT swiss onyx - seems sweet, nice build quality, quite robust looking and runs super smooth with light ratchet buzz... should be able to locate in product review section...

Front hub is a white industries - actually I had never heard of them before I got the nomad also - quite an unusual looking piece of kit, looks like a bomb resistant part from a 1950's vintage motorcycle... mine is the same as the middle on on the web page but finished in black... http://www.whiteind.com/disc_hubs.html

Both seem to run smooth and tight (just the way we like it) but no word on reliability as yet as Ive only had the bike for 3 months.

Good luck with the nomad bro - awesome bike!!

Benz

one more time
    Oct 2005
    sorry man its actually the one pictured on the left!!

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good luck with the nomad bro - awesome bike!!
    Thank you benzology, I wish I could have luck with a Nomad... but I can't afford it, I'm going with an Heckler

Too Much Fun

White Ind are good stuff

Front hub is a white industries - actually I had never heard of them before I got the nomad also - quite an unusual looking piece of kit, looks like a bomb resistant part from a 1950's vintage motorcycle...
    White Ind. have been around for a loooong time in MTB years. They are up here in NorCal, Petaluma to be exact and have been making solid products since the beginning. I think they are stronger in some areas over others, but their hubs should be pretty solid. I ran White hubs on my old Ti HT years ago and they were bomb proof with zero maintenance.
    - -benja- -

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Thank you benzology, I wish I could have luck with a Nomad... but I can't afford it, I'm going with an Heckler
    B3N - thats a very very good option!! about half my riding buddies are on Hecklers... totally proven rig, bombproof and very well balanced.

Good luck with it!! Post some photos when youve got it built...

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    B3N - thats a very very good option!! about half my riding buddies are on Hecklers... totally proven rig, bombproof and very well balanced.

Good luck with it!! Post some photos when youve got it built...
    Sure, I'll do if I'll build it. I'm really UNSURE about my new bike: I decided to buy an all mountain ride before Christmas and I'm still here, changing idea every two weeks. But I noticed the Heckler comes back very often in my dreams, so it should be the *right* one.

Bye

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Sure, I'll do if I'll build it. I'm really UNSURE about my new bike: I decided to buy an all mountain ride before Christmas and I'm still here, changing idea every two weeks. But I noticed the Heckler comes back very often in my dreams, so it should be the *right* one.

Bye
    waht else are you considering?

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    waht else are you considering?
    Almost everything in the 2500-3000 € (I'm italian) range: Heckler, Dawg, Prophet, Stumpjumper and Enduro (I found a very good deal on a 2005 Expert, but I gave up).
    Now I'm almost sure I don't want the Prophet and the Stumpjumper

I'm a "simpler is better" fan, so I think Heckler would be my best choice. I don't know what fork I should mount: options are Vanilla RLC, Pike 426 or Z1 Light (which, in Italy, costs less than the others). I like Marzocchi forks a lot, but I think Z1 is overdimensioned for me (I'm not an hard freeride guy): I want a trail bike, not a chopper!

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Almost everything in the 2500-3000 € (I'm italian) range: Heckler, Dawg, Prophet, Stumpjumper and Enduro (I found a very good deal on a 2005 Expert, but I gave up).
    Now I'm almost sure I don't want the Prophet and the Stumpjumper

I'm a "simpler is better" fan, so I think Heckler would be my best choice. I don't know what fork I should mount: options are Vanilla RLC, Pike 426 or Z1 Light (which, in Italy, costs less than the others). I like Marzocchi forks a lot, but I think Z1 is overdimensioned for me (I'm not an hard freeride guy): I want a trail bike, not a chopper!
    how about the fox36? real nice!!

I heard some average reviews on the enduro - problems with bearings etc and its quite heavy also!!

go the heckler - risk free and its kicks!! ive ridden my mates version with zocchi forks and its real nice... feels in between the nomad and the blur and you can buiild it quite light.

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    how about the fox36? real nice!!
    What about the price? The equation is:

Fox36 = 2 * Z1

one more time
    Oct 2005
    What about the price? The equation is:

Fox36 = 2 * Z1

yeah they are ridiculously priced!! go the Z1 - its rated highly

whay shock will you go for on the heckler? my buddies are using the 5th element coil... they reckon its perfect!!

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yeah they are ridiculously priced!! go the Z1 - its rated highly

whay shock will you go for on the heckler? my buddies are using the 5th element coil... they reckon its perfect!!
    I think at first I'll stay with the standard Float R, and I'll swap it with something "hotter" later. Maybe I'll wait for the new Roco Air! An all-Zoke mountain bike rocks!