mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Thinking of buying the SOLO

Are the ENVE wheels worth the splurge? I am 5.10 should I get the Medium or Large frame? Between Bronson and Solo for long steep technical (roots and rocks) hills and switchbacks what would you get? I am thinking also on going Talas 110-140 over the Float to tackle those hard steep climbs at 110 and then 140 for the DH...any thoughts appreciated

mtbr member
    As far as wheels go, you need to check out the light bicycle wheels. For about $600 you can get a set of well built, strong, tubeless ready, and light, carbon wheels. I have the 29er version and they are outstanding in terms of strength, weight, and ease of tubeless setup. I don't think the $3,000 Enve wheels are "worth" it when you can buy these for 1/5th of the price.

carbon mountain bike wheelset-mountain wheel,mtb wheel,mountain bike carbon wheel,carbon mtb wheels,carbon mtb wheelset Light-Bicycle

Do not bother with the TALAS. You won't ever use the travel adjust.
    Last edited by expatrider; 06-06-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: add link

Get to dah choppah
    Agree with Mr. expatrider regardling wheels. Also do a search for Galvonic Nipple Corrosion. It is a contentious debate, but for the price there should be no debate IMO.

IMO/

In steep, complex technical sections, you need to control your weight transfer, lean angle, and bar position. Unless you can maintain significant momentum throughout the section, shorter overall travel and the ability to control your rear wheel position (limiting squat) are primary considerations. 29" wheels are also an advantage generically.

Don't get an adjustable travel fork.

/IMO
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    I have a Talas on my Heckler and I use it every time I ride. I drop it from 160 to 100 and it makes a big difference climbing. I think those who don't use their travel adjust forks are forgetful or lazy.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I have a Talas on my Heckler and I use it every time I ride. I drop it from 160 to 100 and it makes a big difference climbing. I think those who don't use their travel adjust forks are forgetful or lazy.

It we don't need it. Tried it on several different occasions, and foun that I didn't like it. It was just easier to climb with it at full length. So I ran a Float 36 160 on my Heckler.

I also come from riding 7" travel bikes before adjustable travel was even an option. Again, didn't have any trouble with it. Everything here in So. Cal. is straight up.

Put a Talas on my wife's Blur LT.....even after a while she stopped using the Talas adjustment.

So we are neither lazy nor forgetful.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    It we don't need it. Tried it on several different occasions, and foun that I didn't like it. It was just easier to climb with it at full length. So I ran a Float 36 160 on my Heckler.

I also come from riding 7" travel bikes before adjustable travel was even an option. Again, didn't have any trouble with it. Everything here in So. Cal. is straight up.

Put a Talas on my wife's Blur LT.....even after a while she stopped using the Talas adjustment.

So we are neither lazy nor forgetful.
    Personal preference I guess but it seems easier to me to climb with a lower front end and a steeper head tube angle. I live in SLO which is straight up and straight down and that's why I use the Talas every ride.

mtbr member

Re: Thinking of buying the SOLO

I converted my Talas to Float for these reasons:
    1. I stopped using it after 1 month, I learned how to climb in fully extended position and on rocky technical ups it performs better, since I have less pedal strikes.
    2. The ride is more about ride. Dropper post, shifter and brakes are plenty to deal with...
    3. Float is much smoother and buttery
    4. Maintenance is easier with Float
    5. Float is simpler - lower chance of something going wrong.

Get a float and custom tune it for your weight, bike and riding style. It made a huge difference.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since you asked this question twice I'll post my reply twice:

Given the cost, whether the Enve wheels are "worth it" is a personal thing. To me the answer is yes, definitely worth it. The increased stiffness is pretty incredible, and it's a bigger difference with larger hoops. I've got the enve AM's set up with tubeless HR II's on my bronson and it's a super sweet setup.

Solo v. bronson is a tough call. If you are talking about more open, rough, and fast trails, including descents you will hit at Mach 12, the extra travel and stability of the bronson should get the nod. If your trails are tighter and slower, go solo.

Unlike others here, I am a big fan of travel adjust forks for exactly the reason you mentioned. If you are thinking TALAS, be aware that there is a newer hydraulic system that they are saying solves some of the issues with the prior system. I don't know if those are shipping yet and haven't tried one, just wanted to mention it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great answers , thanks to all ....What about sizing ? i am 5.90 feet tall.. .if i can find the 2014 talas ill go with that, the reviews are really good and they say is just like a Float but with thwe advantage of having the adjust.

mtbr member
    What reviews? the new TALAS is not out yet, and the only "reviews" are based on a couple hours of ride time by some journos who if Fox gave them a dried up donkey dick to put on the front of their bike would tell you that its soooo much better than last years model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EGREGOR View Post
    Great answers , thanks to all ....What about sizing ? i am 5.90 feet tall.. .if i can find the 2014 talas ill go with that, the reviews are really good and they say is just like a Float but with thwe advantage of having the adjust.
    I think it depends on what you're looking for. I'm 5'9" and got a medium TRc a few months ago. Before that, I was riding a 6" AM bike. I demo'd both the large and the medium. It was a tough call, but I felt that the medium was more flickable/nimble and the large was more stable during longer high-speed, chunky descents, but also more sluggish generally. It also felt more like you were sitting in the bike than on it. I was trying to move away from that feeling because that's how my 6" bike is, and I wanted something more "fun" that made me feel like a stronger rider than I actually am. And I was willing to sacrifice the additional high-speed stability.

Most of the time on the trail, I think I made the right choice, but on occasion I hit a steep high-speed section of a trail and the bike starts to feel a bit twitchy. My guess is that a medium Solo is a bit more stable than a medium TRc, so I would think that a medium would work out well but, again, I think you'll have to decide what you want out of the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    who if Fox gave them a dried up donkey dick to put on the front of their bike would tell you that its soooo much better than last years model.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

Just Ride

Thinking of buying the SOLO

I just came off a TRc and loved it for a all around bike, it could really carve the turns, climb and go DH very well. So if the SOLO is an adaptation of this with the 27.5 five wheels this bike will be a killer, and can be made to be light. That being said I sold it for a Bronson, but I ride a very rough rocky area. I had a talas on mine and rarely used it also.

Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    What reviews? the new TALAS is not out yet, and the only "reviews" are based on a couple hours of ride time by some journos who if Fox gave them a dried up donkey dick to put on the front of their bike would tell you that its soooo much better than last years model.
    Speaking as one of those journos: I've logged 65 hours on the new TALAS. It really is a vast improvement over the previous version, which, to borrow your language, performed much like a "dried up donkey dick."

Carry on...