Shread Ready

Thinking of buying a 2000 Santa Cruz Heckler X

I just had a few quick questions on this bike. Are all the shifters grip shifters and do they work good? Also, anything else I should look out for on this bike? The reviews on this site seem very high and people seem to really like this bike. The one I would be buying is a Small but that should be ok since I'm 5' 8". I'm hoping to go take it for a ride soon. Also he wants $800 for it so I guess that's pretty good since the picture shows it being in good shape. Any info would be good. Thanks!

One thing people mentioned as a negative is it doesn't have a replacable rear hanger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher
    I just had a few quick questions on this bike. Are all the shifters grip shifters and do they work good? Also, anything else I should look out for on this bike? The reviews on this site seem very high and people seem to really like this bike. The one I would be buying is a Small but that should be ok since I'm 5' 8". I'm hoping to go take it for a ride soon. Also he wants $800 for it so I guess that's pretty good since the picture shows it being in good shape. Any info would be good. Thanks!

One thing people mentioned as a negative is it doesn't have a replacable rear hanger
    The older hecklers are essentially a similar design to the current superlight. I'm sure with any bike of this age you will find all kinds of builds on them. Post the list of components so we can tell you if it's worth it, although $800 may be a bit high. The bike is a great solid performer, but it is also bordering on 6 years old.

The size may be a problem. At 5'8" santa cruz recommends a medium for a superlight. You may want to compare measurements on the heckler, but I'm pretty sure they will be close and a small just seems like it would be too small. Check here: http://www.santacruzmtb.com/bicycles...t.php?sizing=1

Post a build and the picture and we can help you out a little more, but look into the sizing. A bike can be a great deal for someone, but it the sizing is wrong for you the bike is not a great deal for you.

Shread Ready
    Hey thanks for that info. I thought the small might be a little small because I did review Santa Cruzs website for sizing suggestions. Figured that wouldn't be a problem since most the 17.5's I looked at this week left me very little comfort room while standing on the bike. These seem like real nice bikes. The guy said his friend is looking at the bike now so he might sell it to him. Here is the link I just found since he said he had it online.

Santa