mtbr member
    May 2010

TBLTc Upper link seatstay collet axle seized

First bearing service on my TBLTc after 6 months and the seatstay collet axle on the upper link was seized. I could loosen it maybe a 1/2 turn before it became super tight. I slowly worked it loose by loosening/tightening and using WD40.

Once I got the axle out the threads were stripped. I managed to get it back together and I will give it a go but I think next time I service it its done. Hopefully it will stay tight.

Has anyone else had issues with the seatstay collet axle on the upper link being seized? I'm wondering if the torque of the triangle on the axle causes the axle threads to get hosed.

I got an email into SC asking what my options are, I'll try a new axle but I suspect I'll likely need a new rear triangle at some point. Gotta say I'm bummed.

Here's a pic of the axle I am referring to:

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You need to get a new axle in there asap. The now ruined threads will just wallow out the swing arm threads. I think this happens when the bike is ridden with the axle loose. This lets everything bang against each other, eventually stripping the axle/swing arm.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    You need to get a new axle in there asap. The now ruined threads will just wallow out the swing arm threads. I think this happens when the bike is ridden with the axle loose. This lets everything bang against each other, eventually stripping the axle/swing arm.
    I'm pretty sure it was never loose. I regularly tourqued the collet axle to 30lbs and the tapered washers to 100lbs as per SC specs. But you are right about getting a new axle. I have ordered new collet axles and will install them asap. I'll probably do 4 or 5 rides on the bad axle unfortunately. There's no play at all now and it's tourqued pretty tight. I'll check it after every ride and if any play develops I'll park it until I can fix it.

I think something else is going on here though.

The bearings on 3 of the 4 axles were clean and easy to service this one the bearings were dirty like rusty colored and had no grease on the bearings. It's like they were always wet. Unlike the lower link that has the grease nipples the upper link doesn't. This leads me to believe that you may have to service the upper link more frequently especially under wet conditions. The lower link I just pushed new grease in there regulary and the axles were perfect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dkestar View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was never loose. I regularly tourqued the collet axle to 30lbs and the tapered washers to 100lbs as per SC specs. But you are right about getting a new axle. I have ordered new collet axles and will install them asap. I'll probably do 4 or 5 rides on the bad axle unfortunately. There's no play at all now and it's tourqued pretty tight. I'll check it after every ride and if any play develops I'll park it until I can fix it.

I think something else is going on here though.

The bearings on 3 of the 4 axles were clean and easy to service this one the bearings were dirty like rusty colored and had no grease on the bearings. It's like they were always wet. Unlike the lower link that has the grease nipples the upper link doesn't. This leads me to believe that you may have to service the upper link more frequently especially under wet conditions. The lower link I just pushed new grease in there regulary and the axles were perfect.
    If you sweat as profusely as I do, the resulting drippage can and will wash out the lube from your upper linkage. I am looking for suggestions regarding some kind of sweat deflector/fender for this area.