mtbr member
    Apr 2010

TB LTc stem length input needed....

I'm in the process of building up a Tallboy LTc and have to decide on a stem length. The shortest stem I've ever used on any bike is an 80mm (on my current Tallboy) and while I like it just fine, it seems the standard nowadays is to go shorter. From looking at the LTC thread, mist people seem to go 50-60mm on their new bikes. The local dealer (Bike Bling) also has the shorter stems on all their TB inventory. I'm sure I'd guess used to it but my concern is sitting more upright than I'm used to and dealing with a wandering front end on those extended climbs.

Any input?

I'm 5-8, 31" inseam (so kind of average in that respect) and will ride pretty much anything but I'm past the days of doing drops more than 3-4 feet. I'll be on a medium frame with standard carbon Haven bars by Easton and a Fox 34 front fork.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 80mm on my TB carbon - Love it !!! I'm 5'10 w 30 inseam. Running a 70mm on my TBLT carbon - Very Happy with it ... Great All Mountain setup ... Hope this helps.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 11-18-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am also building a TB LTc and going with haven carbon bars and a haven 70mm stem with 0 rise for now because it is what I currently have. I will be trying a 50mm stem though. If you have an LBS that is willing to lend you some used stem, 70 and a 50, that would be great. Stem length is another personal thing. I am 5'7" , 29-30" inseam and was on a M TB. Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a large LTc, I am 6'. I am runny a 80mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I went from the stock 80mm that came with my bike to a 70mm. Wouldn't have thought 10mm would make much difference but it's certainly improved the overall handling and feel in the front. Hasn't negatively affected climbing at all. Would be interested to see what a 60mm stem feels like at some point.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with the Easton Haven stem. Of course I was all set to split the difference and go with a 60mm but my options are 55 and 70mm in that model I'l probably go against **my own** conventional mindset and try the 55mm for starters.

Bring back the Tour de GA
    Shouldn't stem length choice be based on bike fit and not some arbitrary preference for a certain length stem?
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt