Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Tazmon roll call?

I've been riding this one for ~2yrs now. Love the bike!
    Only pain is the need for a brake booster on the rear. The 'limited' travel (70mm) is fine by me and lateral stiffness compared to the old Heckler more than makes up for it. No need for disc brakes for me, so no grumbles about that.
    No problems with Risse shock whatsoever, and they have great customer service.

Anyone out there tell me anything about the leverage ratio, and other tech specs, etc?

here's a non current pic
    setup:
    -L frame w/ astro-5 shock
    -99 Z2 BAM w/ speedbomb kit & enduro seals (not the a-bomb shown)
    -rhyno-lite/nuke proof w/ Python lite tire rear hoop, (2nd wheel same but w xtr/specialized ground control xtreme for muddy conditions)
    -bonty valiant/nuke up front w/ v-raptor up front (2nd wheel similar but w/ conti explorer pro)
    -arch rival 50 w/ avid ultimate levers
    -Easton ea-70 seatpost
    -White bros ti riser (not azonic pictured) w/ titec ti stem and no bar ends currently.
    -8 spd XTR drivetrain (sram chain)
    oh, and currently running a salsa zona tres saddle & an SKS x-dry fender (THE was a POS)

Me- 6' with 31" inseam/long torso, down to ~210# from ~235 and basic XC rider since I'm living far away from my mtb roots (Santa Cruz, cali) in the heart of Cajun country.

hasta,
    Serge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've still got a frameset layin' around, Large Black w/ Polished rear and a new Risse Astro 5.
    Sweet bike for the day. Need a backup?

Village Dirtbag
    I don't get it...it looks like the shock mounts at two different points. How is that possible?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

It does............

The connection at the shock shaft is on an eccentric meaning it slightly rotates on compression. Great bike for the day......Many good times on the old Taz.

mtbr member
    finally getting back over here, forgot about my thread... not too many ppl on the site still riding their Tazmon's apparently!

DMFT, I might be interested in the backup... not any spare money at the moment, but I need to put some parts up for sale and got a b-day coming up, so I might be able to swing some cash for a 'spare' frame and shock.
    PM me, I'll PM ya sometime soon if I don't hear from you.
    hasta,
    Serge

Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    I've still got a frameset layin' around, Large Black w/ Polished rear and a new Risse Astro 5.
    Sweet bike for the day. Need a backup?
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Rolling on Tazmon serial number 182. Pretty much everything else is new, but the frame is old.

Do need something burlier in the near future though.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Someone on one of the boards was looking for a Tazmon frame a couple of months ago. I'll see if I can find their post.

Edit: I see from reading farther in their post that you have already sold the frame.

mtbr member

tazmon on ebay

not mine and not the cheapest low bid (unlikely he'll get any hits at that starting price)... but for the guy who was looking. sorry, I recycled your email.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...107136536&rd=1
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My wife's bike..

..is a 16" fully polished Tazmon - mmmm, shiny. We used to get quite a few looks when I had my polished Bullit pulling a loaded ( 2 little dudes) trailer down the trail.
    She hasn't used it to it's full potential, but she definitely likes having the travel. It'll probably serve my other two sons coming up ( 8 and 10) when they hit the trails with me - my oldest ( 13 ) has already out-grown it and I'm trying to find him a 18-20" dually frame/bike.

Cheers,

Mike E.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Another thread with a Tazmon pic.

Post your vintage SC's

mtbr member

1997 Tazmon

I bought my Tazmon frame NOS never built in 2000. Through various incarnations It's been sitting for awhile in the following configuration:
    19" polished Tazmon with Risse Astro 5 (recently rebuilt)
    Fox Vanilla 125 RLC
    XTR shifters, cassette, and rear derailleur
    Raceface cranks, BB, and seatpost
    Mavic XM321 rims with Sun Ringle Abbah hubs
    XT front derailleur and MX30 pedals
    XT M755 disk brakes (used a specialized adaptor for the rear conversion)
    Chris King headset
    Blackspire stem
    Easton EA70 riserbar
    WTB saddle
    Salsa quick releases (seat/wheels)
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.2 tires
    Oury lock-on grips
    Last edited by lebikerboy; 01-12-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add picture

mtbr member
    Where's a pic?!
    How's the ride with fox? lotsa travel compared to the 70 odd mm in the back!
    I'm planning on throwing on a 100mm mega-air sometime in the future, but I've mostly been riding my SS the last few months.
    how's the specialized adapter workin out for the discs? I've only ever looked into the Hope version.

Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    I bought my Tazmon frame NOS never built in 2000. Through various incarnations It's been sitting for awhile in the following configuration:
    19" polished Tazmon with Risse Astro 5 (recently rebuilt)
    Fox Vanilla 125 RLC
    XTR shifters, cassette, and rear derailleur
    Raceface cranks, BB, and seatpost
    Sun Rhynolite rims with Hugi hubs
    XT front derailleur and MX30 pedals
    XT M755 disk brakes (used a specialized adaptor for the rear conversion)
    Chris King headset
    Blackspire stem
    Easton EA70 riserbar
    WTB saddle
    Salsa quick releases (seat/wheels)
    Nokian Gazzolodi Dual 2.1 tires
    Oury lock-on grips
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member

Tazmon

The ride with the Fox is great. Originally I had a Marzocchi 100mm air shock which was way too flexy, at least for me. I've considered reducing the travel on the Fox to 100mm or even to 80mm if I desired however, it works as is so I'll stay there.
    As far as the adaptor goes, I originally had Hayes Mag brakes on the bike running 6" disks front and rear. However, I didn't like the performance so wanted to change to Shimano XT 755's like my Heckler. Only problem this created was because the XT's mounted differently I had to find a disk which would fit the adaptor. Turned out the Grimeca 170mm (7") fit perfectly. I'll try reducing the quality of the picture and downloading again.

Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    Where's a pic?!
    How's the ride with fox? lotsa travel compared to the 70 odd mm in the back!
    I'm planning on throwing on a 100mm mega-air sometime in the future, but I've mostly been riding my SS the last few months.
    how's the specialized adapter workin out for the discs? I've only ever looked into the Hope version.

Groveland Trail Heads

A rider I rode with

on Sunday in Soquel Demo forest had one. The Tazmon is still alive.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Thought i would bring back this thread...

Been trying to find other Tazmon owners for a while now but to no avail, till now! Great to hear there are at least a few of you out there.

Anyway I bought mine recently second hand (obviously) but it was in incredible condition - i don't think it has really been used much since built up in 2001.

Quick spec...
    Frame: Medium (i think) Yellow (best colour IMO ) Santacruz Tazmon (2001 assembly)
    Frame Serial No. ******075
    Shock: Risse Astro 5
    Fork: 2001 Bombers (Air)
    Drivetrain: full XT
    Headset: XTR
    Bars: Kona DH 2" riser
    Stem: not sure (unbranded)
    Brakes: Front Shimano 6" disc, Rear XT V-brake
    Levers: Avid 1.9s
    Wheelset: Shimano Deore FR, LX Rear, US built lightweight wheels (not sure of brand) with Panaracer XC Pro tyres (not liking the red walls so they are going to be thrown soon)

Um, thats about it i think.
    Using is for mainly trail/singletrack riding and i absolutely love it. Been wanting one of these (or a heckler) since they were released yonks ago. Handles brilliantly...obviously SC got the geometry bang on all those years ago. 70mm travel? Well it really doesn't bother me as i find the bike more or less as fast as others around me so, at least for trial/all mountain/XC riding, it certianly does the job. I may get the hunger for more travel in the future but for now i'm just pleased as punch to have the privelage of owning one of these!

PS: didn't realise there was a rear disc adaptor for the Taz...definitely going to look into that (anyone with info on them could you please post it here? cheers )
    Last edited by starship303; 09-15-2006 at 01:05 AM.

Lord of the Chainrings

Good job! Classics!

Tazmon, Super-8, Roadster......all classics!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr dismembered
    Ah!!! Classic!!!! nearly snatched a polished Tazmon from an online auction before but someone beat me to it.

Fireball in the Night

Just found this thread

I wasn't ignoring everyone, I just now found this thread...

I bought my Tazmon new and I couldn't wait for it to be delivered and assembled by the dealer in SJ, so I drove over and picked it up from Kiwi at the factory. Used to live a few blocks from the harbor during my h.s. years.

~ Black/Polished with a Judy LT in an awful creme color.
    ~ White Industries cranks/rings.
    ~ Avid brake levers with XT arms.

Prior to the Tazmon, I had been compressing my vertebrae on a Specialized M2 for a couple of years --- so, any amount of frame travel was a night/day experience.

Killed the Risse shock in the first year. Anybody else know what it's like to walk out of the Tahoe forest with lifeless suspension? Well, this was when Risse was in Sunnyvale, IIRC. I returned home and drove the shock over to their office (local for me) and they fixed it - gratis. Meanwhile, I paid for them to send the shock body out to be anodized to match some of the other components on the bike. At the time, they were putting shocks into rectangular "tupperware" boxes. The story from them was that they misplaced my parts while the body was being anodized, so they used new parts for everything --- not just my broken valve or whatever.

About a year after, I was riding out of Wilder Ranch and just got to Hwy 1, where my truck was parked, when a pin on my chain slid out and hung up on a pulley (?) and caused the derailleur to hyper extend and explode into 20 pieces onto Hwy 1, also bending the der. hanger, stripping the threads and ovalizing the thread hole. Der. hangers aren't replaceable, you know? Worse part was that I had paid $10 or more for a breakway der. hanger bolt that didn't break away.

The dealer contacted the factory and the search was on for a size Large rear triangle in polished to match. Then, the search was modified to find any size Large triangle. No luck. Discount on a Superlight was offered, so I bought one.

Later, my resourceful neighbor and I re-shaped the der. hanger area of the rear triangle and tapped larger threads and the bike rides on --- to this day. I don't think I'll ever sell it. I love the strength and weight of the original wheelset with radial front, radial/3-cross rear. I still own a mint copy of the MBAction issue with the Tazmon review that made me buy it over the Conejo and the Marin something. At the time, the three frame designs appeared to be very derivative of one another.

Within the last 8 months, I've seen two for sale on eBay. A guy in SoCal wanted to sell one for local pick up only. Would not ship the bike. Relisted several times. Didn't follow it too closely. Don't know the end of his story.

After the Superlight, I built a Blur. The way I had it spec'd out, there wasn't so much of a performance difference between them, so I sold the Blur and am verrrrry close to buying the Blur XC, which I had a strong feeling that SantaCruz would release after watching the Tazmon/Heckler/SL/Heckler2 incarnations.

Sorry for the book. I get paid by the word at the office.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Rex_Skidmore; 05-21-2006 at 06:12 PM.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    glad to see there's a few more of you out there!

my Tazmon has pretty much been neglected for over a year, as I've been mostly riding my rigid steel singlespeed (going back to basics).
    But, looks like I'll be bringing the Tazmon closer to home soon. I've got a mary bar and some other parts to switch to her sitting in the 'workshop'.
    So, she'll be back in santa cruz when I head down there to visit my dad on some weekends.

y'all done much pivot maintenance? Me, not yet, things are still tight. Last time I dropped by their shop near the harbor (~1 yr ago) there was only 1 or 2 guys around who still knew anything about the Tazmon.

Rex, sounds like you ride the same haunts I used to, but I left SC in '94. You still in the area?

later,
    Serge
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Fireball in the Night
    Logbiter - Still in the area, and I left SC for the "wrong" side of the hill. I'm in the effing valley. A family split during college will do that to a person.

I ride the entire skyline / 35 area + demo, wilder, and will explore coe + fort ord soon.
    Right now, we're waiting out the snow melt to get up to Tahoe again.
    Spent all of March there with my snowboard, and now we want to spend all summer there with the bikes, right?

mtbr member
    Hey Rex_Skidmore, nice to hear your brand loyal. Would you be able to post any pictures of your old black Taz by chance? Not seen a black one before...anodizing the Risse? Nice work.

Also, this may be asking a lot but do you think it would be possible to scan that article from MBAction and host or email it? I've heard about it but have never had the change to read it. Its hard to find much stuff on the Tazmon, especially down here in Australia - though i was chuffed when i rolled into my local MTB shop and the guy went "Wow, its a Tazmon!".

Fireball in the Night

Searching . . .

starship303 - I honestly don't know where the magazine is. I looked where I thought it was --- in the garage with all my auto/bike/tool documents. (I said I had it, but I never said I knew where it was) I'll search again some time soon --- I need some aromatherapy to stimulate my memory.

Photos of the bike are easier to locate : they're in the computer here. If you're interested in something particular, I can easily shoot more and post here.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore
    Logbiter - Still in the area, and I left SC for the "wrong" side of the hill. I'm in the effing valley. A family split during college will do that to a person.

I ride the entire skyline / 35 area + demo, wilder, and will explore coe + fort ord soon.
    Right now, we're waiting out the snow melt to get up to Tahoe again.
    Spent all of March there with my snowboard, and now we want to spend all summer there with the bikes, right?
    bummer to hear you're in the 'valley' now
    I hear ya about the family split, mine did the same, but I was already living up in the trailer park at UCSC, then off to grad school & life after that. Never thought I'd end up in Louisiana of all places ... But, the cajun culture is pretty great! I sure won't miss the summers here though

I never did any riding up at skyline or down in Ord, mostly stuck to areas between Nisene & Demo to UC & Wilder...

I'll be pagin east bay folk for ride hookups on the NorCal board hopefully in the next month or so.
    ciao!
    Serge
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Fireball in the Night

MED frame selling now

This is not my listing, but at a popular online auction site, there is a MED Tazmon frame for sale.

RE: Previously requested black Tazmon photos that I "promised".
    I know, I know there's some outdated components on this bike. The goal was to maintain this as true to it's day. Every few months, I swap out parts and then restore it.

The rear fender is on my wife's bike right now.
    Maybe I'll update the photos when I update the bike.

Radial front, Radial/3cross Rear. Weinmann BCX rims. Still solid!

It's not purple, it's ultraviolet!

You can see the area where the bend occurred -- and was straightened.

Rebuilt gratis by Risse. Anodized by unknown vendor.

Here's the Superlight

And the Blur

Cheers,
    Last edited by Rex_Skidmore; 05-28-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Fireball in the Night

Sidearms and Swingarms

Added pix of the other two SC in my stable/garage.

I buy 'em at Reed's. They make me great deals on bike/gun combos.

Answer this one: Which sidearm goes best with the Tazmon?

~ Rex

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast