Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Update

About time this thread came back to life...okay so thats just an excuse to post a few update pics of my yellow Taz. Changes are a shorter, more nu-skool cockpit which has opened up the bike to be a much more playful singletrack machine. 50mm 10degree stem (possibly a smidgen short) with 0.5' low-rise Easton bars. Before you ask the front doesn't want to come up on all but the very steep climbs (which can obviously be countered with weight shifting anyway - besides i'm more a sprinter than a sitter). Also just recieved my new WTB Laser V Ti saddle and Maxxis 2.1 High Roller eXCeptions (480grams each). Still amazed just how much of a weapon this bike is every time i hit a good trail.

BTW i've recently recieved some Tazmon information/specifications from Santa Cruz themselves and was wanting to post it - should i start a new thread or post it here? Anyway its quite useful info for Tazmon maintenance.

Recent pics (more to come):

264 grams of Ti comfort:

Maxxis High Roller 2.1 XC specs:

Cheers,

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    My suggestion would be to post it in this thread as it is already linked from the SC model sticky thread.

mtbr member

** Santa Cruz TAZMON Frame Specifications **

I've been in contact with Santa Cruz regarding the Tazmon and they have provided me with a number of useful specifications and details on the frame, so i figured i would post up what they provided me with (along with other useful data i've collected over time). I hope others find it of use. See below. BTW if anyone has other useful data on the Tazmon thats not included below please PM me and i will add it in (i'm looking at you Logbiter.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

[SIZE="4"]SANTA CRUZ TAZMON Frame Specifications[/SIZE]

The Tazmon was manufactured by Santa Cruz Bicycles from 1994 to 1998, their first mass produced MTB frame. Discontinued in 1998 due to its high manufacturing costs.

Frame Travel: 3" / 70mm

Sizes: 16", 18", 20", 22"

Colours:
    Paint: black, lime green, metallic green, orange, polished, red, Sid blue, Transparent Blue, Transparent Red, white, yellow.
    Other: Clear powder coat,metallic blue powder coat,clear green powder coat,metallic green powder coat, clear blue powder coat, polished.

Weight: Unsure of frame weight. Complete bikes range from around 24lbs/10.9kgs (hi spec) to 27lbs/12.2kgs (mid to low spec).

Frame material: 6061 T6 aluminum, double-butted, TIG-welded.

Component Specs:
    Seatpost - 26.8mm (If it is a late 1998 model it could also be a 27.2mm post. You should measure it to be 100% sure)
    Front derailleur - 1995-96 model - 31.8mm Traditional Top Pull, 1997-98 model - 31.8mm Top Pull/Top Swing
    Headset - 1-1/8 inch
    BB spec - 68mm shell, 47.5mm to 50mm chainline spec, 107mm spindle.

Bolt Torque Settings:
    1 - Front Shock Mount (To Frame) - 40 inch lbs.
    2 - Brake Plate Bolts - 20 inch lbs.
    3 - Rear Shock mount (To S/A) - **60 inch lbs (**Make sure the e-link can move freely)
    4 - Main Pivot Nuts - 80 inch lbs
    5 - Main Pivot Bearing Pinch Bolts - 40 inch lbs

Bearings:
    Lower swingarm bearings were same as 96-99 Heckler ("big bearing") - 1.125 OD x .375 ID.
    Upper swingarm bearings (At shock eyelet/e-link) are - 10mm OD x 6mm ID.

Brake Compatibility:
    Santa Cruz never made a swingarm with disc mounts for the Tazmon, so only V/cati style brakes are compatible. If you do want to run disc brakes, you will need to go with one of the aftermarket "Universal Mount" options, made by Brake Therapy, Specialized, etc...

Rear shock info:
    The only rear shock option for the Tazmon is the Risse Air (3 variants available Ė the Genesis, Astro-5 & Terminator), which was custom manufactured for the Tazmonís 3 point shock mounting system with eccentric link (e-link) at swingarm eyelet. For product info visit http://www.risseracing.com/santacruz.shtml.

For rear shock air pressure the rule of thumb is approx 20lbs (psi) over rider weight. For Tazmon rear shock rebuild, and replacement options, contact the manufacturer at www.RisseRacing.com.

Shock installation instructions (courtesy of Risse Racing):

1. Put the damper on like it looked when you first got the bike, but keep all of the bolts loose for now. The eyelet (with the air valve) goes to the rear, the clamp on the body goes in the middle with the cable guide hole to the rider's left. With all the bolts on loose, continue to step 2.

2. Sit on the bike to set the bolts in their natural position. This is important because a bolt tightened out of place can inhibit the damper's performance.

2. Sit on the seat or lean on it with your chest when you tighten the back bolt and the front bolts. They need that weight to hold them in the proper spot when you tighten the front bolts on the body.

3. The rear bolt bolts through the E-link, which must be able to rotate slightly as the damper compresses. The bolt should not be too tight.

4. When you tighten the middle bolt, just make it a gentle hand tight. It should be able to slip a little if it needs too. Don't worry: the middle and rear bolts donít have to be really tight to do their job.

Extra info/spec's (like geo) may be found here: http://airfreetires.com/Specs/Step2....and=Santa+Cruz
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by starship303
    Recent pics (more to come):

Nice. Not taken at Narrowneck, Katoomba, Blue Mountains by any chance?

Rubber Side Usually Down
    Quote Originally Posted by joeadnan
    Nice. Not taken at Narrowneck, Katoomba, Blue Mountains by any chance?
    Sure looks familiar to me too. Can't be too far away.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    'Geez, I wish I had a witty signature'

mtbr member

Update

Okay, i've not updated my Taz on here for a while so thought i'd post some pics i had lying around on my phone. These are like 6 months old now and the Taz is actually slightly different to this setup again (bar/stem combo changed & got rid of the scary-crap pedals) but anyway its a pic.

....also uploaded a very small vid taken on the same day of me hitting a drop on the old Taz...BTW if your wondering yes i actually cleared the transition ramp (long story but i blame it on my riding buddy...) and although it sounds bad its just chain slap.
    Vid: Oops, gapped the tranny (sorry its terrible quality - camera phone, + putfile seems to increase the size by 3 for some reason)

BTW Mr Crudley & joeadnan; previous & new pics are actually taken at 'the Falls', north of Sydney (Aus).

mtbr member
    Wow, better late than never (almost four years). Recently joined MTBR and found this thread searching Tazmon. Well, here is mine. I purchased it new (frame only) in 1998. I was broke after purchasing frame, so I robbed the XT 7speed drive train and Zoke Z1 Bomber and other parts from my hard tail. I rode it daily in this trim for two years.

After years in storage, I finally started riding it again in 2004. In 2005, I updated most of the parts on it. Partial build list:

Fork- Marzocchi MX Comp ETA
    Cranks- Deore LX
    Drive train and Shifters- XT 9speed
    Seat Post- Thompson
    Hubs and Wheels- XT and Mavic
    Shock- original Risse Astro 5 (Time for a rebuild)
    Headset- Cane Creek
    Bar and stem- Generic off brands.

Considering a disc brake for the front. Not sure I need one for the rear. Anyone tried Brake Therapy on the rear? After the up-grade to the Tazmon, I was able to put the Hard tail back together (Mnt. Shasta Tempest shown in second picture). It makes for a great back up and commuter bike.

The Tazmon works great and it is fun to occasionally put the whippin on new suspension bikes. I canít imagine ever getting rid of it. Might buy a modern AM bike to have around but will keep the Tazmon.

Any others still around?

mtbr member
    Still riding mine although it's a little differently spec's now...
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's mine, I've had this thing for along time now and still ride it as my main bike, finally building a new bike(blur lt2) now.
    Out of curiosity does anyone know what the frame weight on the Tazmon is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tazmon roll call?-dsc02826sm.jpg  

Tazmon roll call?-dsc02827sm.jpg  

Last edited by xhailofgunfirex; 01-17-2011 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    What Fox shock have you got on your Tazmon (model, stroke, travel)
    and is it connected via the e-link?
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'll try and get some closer pictures. I couldn't really tell you anything off the top of my head id have to take measurements, there's a bit of history regarding that rear shock.

Around 2002-2003 I interned/worked at Fox while I was getting my engineering degree, I bought the Tazmon off a coworker there, he had that shock modified to fit by one of the engineers at Fox, if my memory serves me right the shaft was cut down(not positive). It's a 2002 or 2003 Float R. The rear eyelet of the shock is connected to the swingarm using custom reducer/eyelet bushings.

To be honest I've never seen another Tazmon in person or seen a good picture of the shock, so I don't quite understand the e-link.

mtbr member
    Nice to see some updates on y'all still riding your Tazmons! Mine has been hanging in the garage neglected for ~2 yrs now . I had put on an '04 marzocchi marathon (85mm travel IIRC) and had few shakedown rides to get the fork air settings right before my kiddo diverted my mtn riding time. I've got a BB7 waiting to be put on for a mullet brake setup.

My only bikes getting a bit of love are a Yokota Yosemite (with a weeride kid seat) & my commuter/monster crosser (1990 trek 750).
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If anyone plans to sell a Tazmon frame or complete bike or knows someone who would sell theirs, a short notive would be nice.

mtbr member
    ROFL that frame looks so ghetto compared to the new stuff. Looks to me like Tazmon is the frame template all those Wally world bikes are based on.
    "The eyes are the windows into the brain" -Timothy Leary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamim View Post
    ROFL that frame looks so ghetto compared to the new stuff. Looks to me like Tazmon is the frame template all those Wally world bikes are based on.
    It's the template that the Heckler was based off of - only one of the most successful bikes ever. Silly grom!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 06-25-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Rear Triangle Troubles

Hello Mtbr folks!

I have a Tazmon frame that I've been riding and enjoying for the past 4 years, but unfortunately the rear triangle finally sustained a serious fracture. It is very repairable if someone wanted to restore it to its original status or just use it as a sweet xc ride. If you'd be interested in sending an offer please feel free to pm me, I'm moving out of state soon so fixing it myself isn't an option at the moment.

However, if anyone knows where I could get my hands on a new/used rear triangle that would be sweet too! Please shoot me a message if you know of anything. Thanks! -Giff06

Frame has an early purple Chris King headset, xt front derailleur, and a fairly recently rebuilt Risse Shock that works great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tazmon roll call?-tazmon1-copy.jpg  

Tazmon roll call?-tazmon7-copy.jpg  

Tazmon roll call?-tazmon9-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    So, back in the day I used to live really close to Lake Chabot in the Bay Area. I bought my Tazmon from Cycle Sports in Oakland and would typically ride straight from my house and do the 15 mile loop frequently. Then I moved, to Oregon circa 1998 or so, married '99, first kid '02 etc. My Tazmon has been on hooks in the garage for close to 15 years... I got back into sport bikes, instructing for track days and dirt bike riding in the coast range and an occasional China Hat trip...I need more time for all this fun....

Here we are in 2012. Last weekend I took it off the hooks, pumped up the tires, took it down to Fat Tire Farm in Portland to get a look over. They said it's in great shape...go ride it. Full old school 950 XTR, Mavic Crossland...27.5 lbs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tazmon roll call?-2012-07-06_17-58-28_661-2.jpg  

Tazmon roll call?-2012-07-06_18-00-11_57-2.jpg  

Last edited by Rated R; 07-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

What to do??????????

Greetings!
    Just joined the group and came across this Tazmon thread. I have an old Tazmon frame (1996 I believe). Are they worth building up. or has technology made them obsolete?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tazmon roll call?-photo-42-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Still a very good single pivot design, though short on travel by today's standards. I'm still riding mine, but don't get much mtb action these days.

I'd figure in a new front fork (especially if that's a quadra on there?!) and a shock rebuild. Risse will do it for ~$50, or if all it needs is an oil change that's easy enough if you're a DIY guy. I guess it depends on your budget vs getting something else that's more ready to go.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Lovin Life!!
    Feb 2005

old frame

Hi there.. by any chance, do you still have the old Tazmon frame?? if so.. what size would it be? I know it has been a long time, but I am just hoping
    Thank you,
    Clark clarkborg @ yahoo dot com )
    Quote Originally Posted by Giff06 View Post
    Hello Mtbr folks!

I have a Tazmon frame that I've been riding and enjoying for the past 4 years, but unfortunately the rear triangle finally sustained a serious fracture. It is very repairable if someone wanted to restore it to its original status or just use it as a sweet xc ride. If you'd be interested in sending an offer please feel free to pm me, I'm moving out of state soon so fixing it myself isn't an option at the moment.

However, if anyone knows where I could get my hands on a new/used rear triangle that would be sweet too! Please shoot me a message if you know of anything. Thanks! -Giff06

Frame has an early purple Chris King headset, xt front derailleur, and a fairly recently rebuilt Risse Shock that works great.

Lovin Life!!
    Feb 2005

Tazmon

Hi there!
    Any chance that your tazmon is a large?? and also, for sale...???????????
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
    So, back in the day I used to live really close to Lake Chabot in the Bay Area. I bought my Tazmon from Cycle Sports in Oakland and would typically ride straight from my house and do the 15 mile loop frequently. Then I moved, to Oregon circa 1998 or so, married '99, first kid '02 etc. My Tazmon has been on hooks in the garage for close to 15 years... I got back into sport bikes, instructing for track days and dirt bike riding in the coast range and an occasional China Hat trip...I need more time for all this fun....

Here we are in 2012. Last weekend I took it off the hooks, pumped up the tires, took it down to Fat Tire Farm in Portland to get a look over. They said it's in great shape...go ride it. Full old school 950 XTR, Mavic Crossland...27.5 lbs:

Lovin Life!!
    Feb 2005

Tazmon frame...

Hi there!
    I am looking for a tazmon frame.. I need a large. Was hoping you might have yours for sale if it is a large... Thanks
    QUOTE=mark in redwood city;9579127]Greetings!
    Just joined the group and came across this Tazmon thread. I have an old Tazmon frame (1996 I believe). Are they worth building up. or has technology made them obsolete?[/QUOTE]

Lovin Life!!
    Feb 2005

Any Tazmon frames for sale out there?

I'm looking for a large size tazmon frame...
    Anyone out there??
    clarkborg @ yahoo dot com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I still have my hanging from the rafters. I sent the shock to riesse and had them completly rebuild it. I will probably never ride it as I picked up a Kona and am in love with it. I could be persuaded to sell it!!
    Last edited by mark in redwood city; 12-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    hey, was given this a few days ago, more here:- Good for jumps in Miggy woods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast