mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Tallboys and Blurs no longer using carbon upper pivot

Just confirmed by Santa Cruz that they no longer use the carbon upper pivot on the Tallboys or Blurs. They now use an alloy (guessing aluminum) that is light, stronger, stiffer and faster to produce. They ran out of the carbon approximately 1-2 months ago.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wouldn't covet the carbon link if I were you. I cracked two of the carbon upper links on an XL Blur LT2 in less than a year, so in my experience they weren't up to the task. I wish I had an aluminum one because my warranty is ending soon.

Trail Junkie
    I think individual experiences don't represent of what all owners experience, because I never had a problem with one on my Blur-C or my TBc in the 5yrs combined of riding both bikes..but to say "they ran out" is interesting in that..they probably just stopped producing them when they went to alloy. That said, as long as mine continue to work, I am indifferent to the fact that it is aluminum or carbon as long as it works!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If the alloy version is lighter, stronger, stiffer and faster to produce, then why did they use carbon in the first place?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Happyriding thanks for the info. I read of one other upper link breaking on a TB and SC claimed it never happened before. I couldn’t figure out why they would replace it otherwise. Of course, I don’t know how many carbon links SC has had to replace over the years. Your post is the first that I read where the carbon upper link broke on a blur. I plan to build up the frame for my daughter for Xmas and know she will never notice a difference when she rides it and she will certainly never break the upper link whether carbon or aluminum.

My initial thought was SC just mistakenly inserted an aluminum 29er upper link instead of the correct carbon link. That wasn’t the case. After contacting SC, I was surprised to hear it is a new and significant upgrade to their bikes without any mention of it anywhere else. I think when the mfr makes a change to a frame they should reflect that change in their literature or website. Otherwise, when we start receiving frames that differ from mfr specs the questions will naturally start flooding in. If such a change was planned when they designed their 2013 frames it should’ve been noted somewhere.

I still can’t figure out why an old 2012 frame has the new upper link and the new 2013 frames up to now have the old link. The 2012 should’ve already been assembled and boxed, way before the 2013 frames.

I primarily viewed it is a cost cutting move, since a replacement tallboy aluminum upper link costs $54 and the carbon link costs twice as much at $108. Also, the all mountain Nomad and downhill V10 both still have the weaker carbon upper links. Although SC has not indicated any change on these frames, my guess is they too will go to a new aluminum upper link when their current stock runs out.

Now, at least carbon Tallboy and Blur buyers here won’t be surprised when they receive their carbon bikes with the aluminum link. Nonetheless, it seems the day of the carbon upper link on SC bikes for better or worse is dead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Greg Minnarr was running a Alum link on his carbon V10 instead of the carbon one as it produced a stiffer back end. I think there are area's where the Carbon isn;t the best material and the links appear to be one at this point.

Santa Cruz mentioned the same thing when they were asked why the rear end of the Carbon V10 was Alum and they advised that they could not build a carbon swing arm at the time which would save weight and be stronger/ stiffer then the Alum one. Now Enve has been building the rear ends of the carbon V10's and it appears they have found a way to do it so in the future it will change

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lcdd View Post
    Happyriding thanks for the info. I read of one other upper link breaking on a TB and SC claimed it never happened before.
    Pictures here:

How long was the warranty on chainlove Blur LT2's?

mtbr member extraordinair
    After 2 years of solid reliability, my 2012 carbon Tallboy went into the shop for a new upper link. I didn't notice it until it was way too late, but the lower shock pin loosened up and munged the threads in the carbon upper link. When I finally felt the clunking on a ride, it was too late. When I tried to tighten it, the bolt spun freely.

SC is replacing the carbon link with an alloy one. At first I was like WTF! but seeing this thread from 2 years ago, I guess I will take the alloy replacement and be happy. I just hope the color is flat black to match the frame and not glossy.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!