mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tallboy vs tallboy2

I haven't demoed them yet, but I think I can get a good deal on a demo 2013 Tallboy. It would be about $1000 less than the new 2014 Tallboy 2. I think the demo also has more SLX vs XT parts though. What would you do? Will I notice a different in the suspension performance? I haven't ridden FS for quite some time FWIW...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bump. Seriously? Nobody has any advice?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, I recently switched to a Tallboy 2 because my older generation Tallboy had the dreaded carbon disbonding issue you may or may not be aware of. Luckily it was warrantied so other than the agony of not having a mtg for a while it worked out pretty well for me. There are noticeable differences mostly in the stiffer rear end and it also seems more efficient pedaling wise but I really haven't spent a ton of time on it to really be dialed in with the bike yet. I also bumped the size up to an XL which has been tremendous for me as I think my large was too small for me. All these changes have made for a livelier handling bike imo. So is it worth it. Yes, i would say for the warranty alone it probably is. The new changes are minor but are improvements none the less. Ride one if you get a chance and decide for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed but everybody's preferences different.

GMM
    mtbr member
    It's tough to make a value judgement for someone else. For me, $1,000 wouldn't be enough of a savings to give up the better vpp2 pedaling and xt components. However, I wouldn't fault someone for saving $1,000. If you haven't ridden FS is awhile, I'd bet you would be perfectly happy with the demo.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    isnt there a rather large weight savings also by going to the tall boy carbon 2 vs the original tall boy? You can get an entire XT gruppo for about $500 on ebay, then sell your SLX set. If I get a new solo I will sell you my XT gruppo if your interested in the upgrade