NedwannaB

TallBoy shock choice

Looking into the Alum model frameset. Anyone have some input on these set up with both an RP2 vs a Float CTD? Interested in VPP design and wondering if there is a big difference or not in ride quality.

Thanks in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

NedwannaB
    Anyone have input on what the issues the CTD has might be?

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I just ordered mine with the ctd, I figure if it doesn't work out the rear shock is not all the expensive to replace. The only thing that I have heard bad about the ctd is that it can blow through its travel

NedwannaB

Aluminum frame?

Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    I just ordered mine with the ctd, I figure if it doesn't work out the rear shock is not all the expensive to replace. The only thing that I have heard bad about the ctd is that it can blow through its travel
    I'm looking into one of the sale 135 dropout frames. Yeah that's what I heard from another. I'm 140# so hopefully won't be an issue. And same thoughts on it can always be sent to PUSH or? and be dialed in better.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I bought the clearance frame with the ctd shock. You can always send it to push or buy a different shock all together. I have heard that many people really like the monarch on the tallboy.

NMBP
    I really like the CTD shock on my Tallboy C so far. I have the Kashima version with trail adjust, and find that using the Trail 1 setting is pretty good for me. It works ok in open mode as well, just not quite as "snappy".

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I really like the CTD shock on my Tallboy C so far. I have the Kashima version with trail adjust, and find that using the Trail 1 setting is pretty good for me. It works ok in open mode as well, just not quite as "snappy".
    Thanks all. Corresponding with SC now. Not sure the sale alum frames have "trail adjust" but assuming all the CTD's were Kashima coated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Thanks all. Corresponding with SC now. Not sure the sale alum frames have "trail adjust" but assuming all the CTD's were Kashima coated.
    I believe the coating is extra $.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I believe the coating is extra $.
    Yeah, no doubt $$. Now that I look at close up of frame it's not Kashima, but ad disclaimer says pic may not depict exact shock coming with frame and to follow description. I thought CTD shocks came out after they started to do the Kashima. No problem for me if not coated anyway.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    JMac47, the CTD is not kashima coated and it does not have the trail adjust feature either. Its an OEM spec shock for Santacruz.

Thing Maker
    Apr 2013
    I run the OEM spec CTD Float on my tallboyC, and its pretty on point. I recommend dialing in the sag just under factory settings in the D mode, like 20-25%, and in trail you'll be fine. Set it and forget it.
    The Boombot REX, ultraportable speaker/speakerphone/siri assistant. With the ability to deny phone calls on the trail Huzzah!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKleroy View Post
    I run the OEM spec CTD Float on my tallboyC, and its pretty on point. I recommend dialing in the sag just under factory settings in the D mode, like 20-25%, and in trail you'll be fine. Set it and forget it.
    Thanks for info.