mtbr member

Tallboy RXC for trails?

I'm new to the Santa Cruz bike line and was curious if there were any real drawbacks to using a Tallboy with the 120mm fork for a mostly trail bike? No real big drops (4 feet at best) and every thing else is a pretty good transition jump. Demoed a carbon that was the shop owners personal ride and it felt great but I know its more "XC" labelled. So back to the original question...would a Tallboy hold up to mostly rocks and roots trails with a some decent flow jumps?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Tallboy for xcountry

I owned a TBc for just over 2 years. I ride the rocky trails around Fruita/Grand Junction and Moab. I think the TBc is almost perfect for general trail riding and more capable than most x-country bikes in these conditions. I would strongly recc. you get a 120mm fork. With that you do get some pedal strikes on the TB. I would try the TBLTc if the price isn't an issue. Its way more bike than you need for many trails but if you ride alot of rocks then its is def. better with almost no weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply.....that's what I was hoping. My other choices were the Fuel EX and Rumblefish (heavy Trek area around here)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    You're on the right track... I have a TB AL that I ride exactly the type of riding you are describing... Trails, rocks, roots, flowy stuff and also am able to keep up with guys in fairly fast paced group rides that are riding much lighter XCish bikes...

I have found for me ( a very agile, athletic 6' 230lbs) the TB has been almost a perfect bike.. I have done some significant (and some not so significant) upgrades and the result is a bike that is not terribly light (29lbs ish as it sits now with XTR, King Flow EX wheels, Thomson, Enve, Etc) but for me it is something that I can ride without worry...

But just as well for most people the bike in it's stock form is pretty dialed in as is.. Santa Cruz is a very appealing bike company in my eyes because they stick to frame building and then offer pretty killer component packages made up of a mixture of some really nice brand named parts and all at a comparatively good price.. Unlike some of the big brands that sell you a bike at t he same price point that has all house brand stuff on it and or goofy un serviceable / un upgradeable proprietary parts.. Maybe its just my point of view.. But hey..

The TB AL or C RXC package (as FruitaFrank alluded to make sure you stick with the 120 Fork) should be a great bike that will definitely serve you well.. Here's a pic of mine in its current set up minus the XTR cranks and Front Der I just installed..