mtbr member

Tallboy rear wheel play

Hey all. I'm the proud owner of a 2016 Tallboy C. Just purchased about 2 weeks ago and have put about 100 miles on it so far.

Maybe it is in my head, but I noticed that the rear wheel seems to have a little bit of side to side play. Just enough that it makes a little tapping noise every now and them from what seems to be the rotor tapping the brake pads while the brakes are not applied. When I try and wiggle it back and forth it's hard to tell if it's just the wheel that has play or maybe the rear triangle (?) That has play.

This is my first FS bike or pardon my ignorance on the topic. The bike also has a thru axel in the rear which again is new to me. I took off the rear wheel, Made sure it was set properly, and retightened everything and still seems to have a little play. I can't see it being an issue with the hub as it is so new with low miles. I can take it back to my LBS I bought it from since they offer free tune ups for a year, but it's a bit of a hike for me. Seeing if you guys had any insight.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    IF the thru axle is snug[firm] then it just could be the rear hub, I would go back to your shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Is it a Mavic crossmax by any chance?

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

mtbr member

Tallboy rear wheel play

grab the rear triangle and wiggle it, if it dont wiggle, it's probably the hub. the Sram hubs are known to do that. not sure what you have

whatever it is, I wouldn't mess with it. make your shop fix it

mtbr member
    It's a sram hub. To be honest I'm not sure exactly which hub. It's matched with Easton ar24 wheels and sram 1x11 drivetrain.

I took off the rear wheel and tried to wiggle the triangle and no play. Definitely the hub then. I just don't know why it has that play with so little miles. I had a cannondale trail sl3 for 6 years prior and never had any hub issues with that bike an rode it hard for years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk