Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tallboy Pushed?

NMBP

Tallboy Pushed?

For those that have had their shock given the PUSH treatment, what exactly did you not like about the stock build, and what did you have them do for you? I have a 2012 TBc with the Kashima CTD, and am actually fairly happy with it. I had Push rebuild my shock on my old RIP 9 and was very happy with how it turned out, so was contemplating having them work on this one as well since it is time for a service anyway. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mine is the kashima RP23. There was really nothing bad about the stock shock, but it hadn't been serviced in nearly 2 years so I figured I'd get it serviced and PUSHed at the same time. My main complaint was that I couldn't feel much difference between the ProPedal settings. I also thought it would be good to get a little more pedaling platform if it didn't hurt small bump compliance.

For me, the custom tuning wasn't night and day, but it is better. After the tune I need a little more air pressure and more rebound, and it provides good small bump compliance with more efficient pedaling. I also notice more difference between the propedal settings.

NMBP
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Just got my RP23 shock back from PUSH. I am 185 lbs and my main complaint was (as stated above) I couldn't tell the difference when I moved the lever. Also I never felt that the bike climbed as well as my Turner Sultan.

After one ride I can say it has made a difference. The bike seems to pedal much better but doesn't feel harsh. I am now a believer.

bog
    mtbr member
    I sent mine to Push to get a bit of a racier feel from the stock setting which was a bit soft in Propedal and wallowy in the other settings. I paid top $$ for the Factory tune and got back a shock with a major top-out clunk. I had to pay for shipping back to them to find out that the first service was done incorrectly.

I received the rebuild back and found that the shock barked like a Yorkie on every shock cycle. I contacted Push to let them know the problem and they recommended that I ride it for a bit to see if the sound would go away. After pissing off my riding buddies for a couple of rides with my "Yorkie trapped in my Camelbak" I asked if I could get it fixed. Again, I was required to pay for shipping back to them so needless to say I was less than impressed. At least I was promised some of their new low friction shock bushings/reducers for my troubles.

Squeaky rear shock - YouTube

When I received the "fixed" shock it did not have the new bushings and it felt terrible. It is very harsh on any small bump in any setting so traction is terrible and on medium bumps it wallows worse than my original tune. I didn't want to waste my time with these guys again because I'd be out more time and $$ for shipping.

In the end I just bought a Monarch RT3 shock and couldn't be happier with it. This is what the Fox should feel like and the cost of the shock was less than the cost of the Push tuning. My push tuned Fox is in my parts bin as a emergency backup.

Find a good deal on a Monarch RT3 and go with it! The platform is very firm but still provides good traction on roots and the wallow is all but gone. As a bonus, you can rebuild it yourself and it comes with an extra seal kit.
    Last edited by bog; 01-03-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I sent mine to Push to get a bit of a racier feel from the stock setting which was a bit soft in Propedal and wallowy in the other settings. I paid top $$ for the Factory tune and got back a shock with a major top-out clunk. I had to pay for shipping back to them to find out that the first service was done incorrectly.

I received the rebuild back and found that the shock barked like a Yorkie on every shock cycle. I contacted Push to let them know the problem and they recommended that I ride it for a bit to see if the sound would go away. After pissing off my riding buddies for a couple of rides with my "Yorkie trapped in my Camelbak" I asked if I could get it fixed. Again, I was required to pay for shipping back to them so needless to say I was less than impressed. At least I was promised some of their new low friction shock bushings/reducers for my troubles.

When I received the "fixed" shock it did not have the new bushings and it felt terrible. It is very harsh on any small bump in any setting so traction is terrible and on medium bumps it wallows worse than my original tune. I didn't want to waste my time with these guys again because I'd be out more time and $$ for shipping.

In the end I just bought a Monarch RT3 shock and couldn't be happier with it. This is what the Fox should feel like and the cost of the shock was less than the cost of the Push tuning. My push tuned Fox is in my parts bin as a emergency backup.

Find a good deal on a Mnarch RT3 and go with it! The platform is very firm but still provides good traction on roots and the wallow is all but gone. As a bonus, you can rebuild it yourself and it comes with an extra seal kit.
    Wow, sounds like they need to make it right for you, including shipping both ways. I have a Monarch on my new RIP9, and I really like it so far (although the first one died after <100 miles. Sram overnighted a new shock, and my LBS had me back on the trail in a day, so was very happy about that).

I am still contemplating sending it off to them, but might just get the annual service since I have been happy with it. It's fat bike time here for a few months, so I have some time to think about it.

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Wow, sounds like they need to make it right for you, including shipping both ways. I have a Monarch on my new RIP9, and I really like it so far (although the first one died after <100 miles. Sram overnighted a new shock, and my LBS had me back on the trail in a day, so was very happy about that).

I am still contemplating sending it off to them, but might just get the annual service since I have been happy with it. It's fat bike time here for a few months, so I have some time to think about it.
    Sorry for the rant. I just get typing sometimes and don't realize how long the post is.

Anyways, I feel that the Monarch's general characteristics are better suited to the TB. It keeps the bike riding higher in its travel and allows it to absorb bumps better. The 3 position RT3 adjuster also does its job nicely with a noticeable difference between the settings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What tune do you go with for the RT3?

GMM
    mtbr member
    Interesting. I just talked to my local shop owner and he recommended a monarch for a more firm platform as well. I am a little worried about what I would give up on the downhill though since he said it would be firmer in all settings. This would be for a tallboy ltc.

mtbr member
    Talk to Craig at Avalanche. He just started tuning rp23 and CTD shocks. He is he man when it comes to custom tunes.

mtbr member

Find a good deal on a Monarch RT3 and go with it! The platform is very firm but still provides good traction on roots and the wallow is all but gone. As a bonus, you can rebuild it yourself and it comes with an extra seal kit.
    Wow...certainly didn't like coming across this one. Bog, if you would, email me your customer name or Sales Order number so I can look into this one. We tune hundreds of Tallboy shocks with great success so I'd like to follow up and make sure you're satisfied. The expectation is not to spend a couple of hundred dollars, or any money for that matter, with my company and walk away with a bad experience.

Thanks,

Darren
    dm@pushindustries.com

mtbr member
    I've had a similar experience this past year but I wasn't about to give up on PUSH as I've been very happy with their services for many years. Darren fixed mine personally. My point is that one (or more) of their technicians is taking shortcuts and sending out garbage work. Darren fixes it but it is a hassle, lost riding time, and money spent on shipping. It's just been in this past year so I hope Darren looks into this - should be rather easy to figure out (just pull my file or bog's file and see who did the initial work).

For the OP: A Push tune on a VPP bike will make it pedal even better - no need to ever throw the platform lever as the shock won't wallow around. Yet at the same time it's even more plush over any terrain - you can have your cake and eat it too is how I'd describe it!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    My point is that one (or more) of their technicians is taking shortcuts and sending out garbage work.
    Wow is that insulting...and certainly not the case. I invite you to spend a day here at PUSH witnessing the effort these guys put in and then make that same comment.

We service and tune thousands of suspension components each year and certainly make mistakes. I think every adult at some point in their job/career can agree that they may have slipped up. I have the most highly trained technicians in the business and they don't "take shortcuts" or put out "garbage" work.

Darren

mtbr member
    Well now you know how we feel Darren as I most CERTAINLY was insulted that Nick is coached to tell users to "just ride it for a few weeks". I know when my shock isn't right; maybe some don't but I'm guessing the majority of those willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for shock tuning do!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    My two cents based on a Blur XC c. Before anyone jumps and says it isn't a Tallboy, they use the same shock eye to eye and stroke. Both have 100mm travel and therefore the same ratio. Anyway, the frame came with a Kashima RP23 and as several have noted, I couldn't tell much difference between the on/off position. I called fox and asked what would be the best bet for an XC set up to stiffen up the propedal. It seems that I had a 2013 frame with a 2012 shock. If I remember correctly, they changed the propedal on that shock for 2013 to stiffen it up. I ordered the CTD version and it was night and day difference. Possibly it was going from a RP23 to CTD that made the difference. I loved that set up so much, I sold it and got the remote version. The shock has a Firm Compression and no boost valve. I suggest calling FOX and asking them how the 2014 shocks measure up and what you want out of the shock. I'm still waiting for Fox to give us all an adjustable rear axle-mounted accelerometer wired to an iCD shock.

bog
    mtbr member

Tallboy Pushed?

I can attest to the fact that the newest CTD shock is tuned much better than the RP23. Firmer with less wallow but the Monarch RT3 still one-ups it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    Interesting. I just talked to my local shop owner and he recommended a monarch for a more firm platform as well. I am a little worried about what I would give up on the downhill though since he said it would be firmer in all settings. This would be for a tallboy ltc.
    I ride a Monarch RC3+ w/ a M/M (?) tune and a LV air can on my TB LTc. LOVE the thing! Even in full pedal mode, the blow-off threshold was low enough to where I can still get the shock moving rolling off a 2" rock, but stiff enough to be really efficient on climbs. And, in full open, the thing is pretty damn sweet on the downs...VERY much noticeably plusher. I've not tried the non-resi Monarchs tho.
    FYI, I'm ~175# nekkid, and ~185# fully kitted up w/ tool and a full 70oz Camelbak. I put in ~my nekkid weight in air pressure to get ~27% sag.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

NMBP
    I decided to send the shock off to PUSH, and they received it yesterday. I am expecting big things!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Talk to Craig at Avalanche. He just started tuning rp23 and CTD shocks. He is he man when it comes to custom tunes.
    +1 - well worth the time and $$ transformed my Nomad into a new bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND View Post
    Wow is that insulting...and certainly not the case. I invite you to spend a day here at PUSH witnessing the effort these guys put in and then make that same comment.

We service and tune thousands of suspension components each year and certainly make mistakes. I think every adult at some point in their job/career can agree that they may have slipped up. I have the most highly trained technicians in the business and they don't "take shortcuts" or put out "garbage" work.

Darren
    Everyone makes mistakes, but when one customer has 4 negative interactions over the course of several weeks there is a systematic problem going on. If there wasn't the uncharacteristic slip up would have been resolved after the first error.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

NMBP
    Just installed my newly PUSHED shock, and it passed the off the curb test with flying colors! Unfortunately, winter has been rather lousy this year so far, so probably won't get a good test until the Deathmarch next month. Wonder when SC will come out with a fatbike?!

bog
    mtbr member
    So I'll continue my story here. Push offered to try to fix my Pushed Tallboy shock but I didn't see any point paying for shipping to them a third time so I declined? Darren was nice enough to offer other rebuild options for my othe Fox parts. I have a 2013 Fox 32 CTD 29er on my TB which I use for racing so I like the lockout, a 2014 Fox 34 Talas 29 which I don't want to mess with (feels great) and a Fox DHX 5.0 on my V10 which I'm selling so there's no point getting work done on that either. The rest of my stuff is RockShox which Push doesn't work on. Along with the offer to tune one of my other Fox parts Darren offered to refund my money which is the best option for me. So I've contacted Darren twice now (Jan 20 and Feb 12) but I'm getting no reply at all. Why offer a refund if you're not going to follow through with your promise?

mtbr member
    So I'll continue my story here. Push offered to try to fix my Pushed Tallboy shock but I didn't see any point paying for shipping to them a third time so I declined? Darren was nice enough to offer other rebuild options for my othe Fox parts. I have a 2013 Fox 32 CTD 29er on my TB which I use for racing so I like the lockout, a 2014 Fox 34 Talas 29 which I don't want to mess with (feels great) and a Fox DHX 5.0 on my V10 which I'm selling so there's no point getting work done on that either. The rest of my stuff is RockShox which Push doesn't work on. Along with the offer to tune one of my other Fox parts Darren offered to refund my money which is the best option for me. So I've contacted Darren twice now (Jan 20 and Feb 12) but I'm getting no reply at all. Why offer a refund if you're not going to follow through with your promise?
    This has a very simple explanation. I did issue a refund, however the credit card that was used had expired early last year. Because of this our system was unable to reverse the funds. We responded through our sales system(not my regular email) with a link to update the card information that we could use to issue the refund to. I'm guessing that you either didn't get it, or it possibly went to a SPAM folder.

Regardless, it's not a big deal and I'm happy to finish the process. I've sent a follow up email as well.

Darren

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND View Post
    This has a very simple explanation. I did issue a refund, however the credit card that was used had expired early last year. Because of this our system was unable to reverse the funds. We responded through our sales system(not my regular email) with a link to update the card information that we could use to issue the refund to. I'm guessing that you either didn't get it, or it possibly went to a SPAM folder.

Regardless, it's not a big deal and I'm happy to finish the process. I've sent a follow up email as well.

Darren
    So once again I'm getting nowhere with push after more promises. I get no reply from my emails to Darren and all I'm trying to do is get this issue closed off. I gate to come back here and complain but this lack of any action from Push is getting very tiring.

Darren, what's up with no email replies?

Golden Bears United
    I was tinkering with my 2014 CTD fork & shock, again, last night and thought that I might just want to have them tuned aftermarket. There seems to be a few options out there. After reading this thread, it seems like one will be off the table for me.

The internet reviews can be great for a small business with little or no marketing budget, but can also be a double-edged sword.
    SC Solo + Ala Carte SS + old HardRock trail-a-bike = all the bikes I need ... for now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast