Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Get to dah choppah

Tallboy Peeps - What tires are you running?

I've ridden the stock Crossmarks and i'm not buying in so much.

What are you liking please?
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

Warrior's Society
    Depends on where you are. Depends on your trails.

Currently have 2.25 or 2.4 Ardent up font, and 2.2 Slant Six or 2.2 Ikon out back.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    2.4 Ardent in front. 2.2 Ikon in back. Toobless.

mtbr member
    Rampage or ardent 2.4 front. Ikon or cross mark rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Tires/TBc

2.4 Ardent front and 2.2 Icon back, also the 2.2 Captain front, 2.1 captain back, recently trying the Ground Control 2.3 both front and back and very good cornering [ turn in ].

Not smart enough to shift
    Nobby Nic 2.35" front and Racing Ralph 2.25 snakeskin rear. Perfect for me.

-A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Riding on twisty east coast trails: front Maxxis Advantage eXC 21, older Conti Explorer Protection 2.1 in the rear.

Tried the Advantage also in the rear, didn't like it.
    The Flandrien in Québec...

12 Santa Cruz SuperLight
    00 Trek 7000 SS winter bike

mtbr member
    Ardent 2.4" front, Ignitor 2.1" rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2.2 WTB Bronsons front and WTB 2.3 Exiwolf back. Bronsons are great, exiwolf terrible.

Get to dah choppah
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Depends on where you are. Depends on your trails.

Currently have 2.25 or 2.4 Ardent up font, and 2.2 Slant Six or 2.2 Ikon out back.
    Lotta love for the Ardents :-)

I'm in Oregon, so the variety of riding is pretty much endless. I try to stay out of the mud when possible though.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bontrager 29-4 2.3 front
    Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2 rear

Quite happy in the current UK sloppy conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Been running the 2.2 Bronsons, but the rear has some sidewall tears and the side knobs are getting pretty torn up. Performance has been good in most conditions, but they aren't durable enough for the east coast rocks I ride.

I just got a set of the new 29x2.3 Purgatories to replace the Bronsons. I used to use Purgatories and liked them a lot in all conditions, and the new ones are said to grip just as well but roll faster.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Ive been running a pair of tubeless snakeskin ralphs 2.25s for the last year. In a word - nirvana.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    2.25 ardent front, nano 1.95 in the rear. Worked well for most of the year, but about to go 2.4 ardent front and something meatier in the back for the fall/winter.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Been running the 2.2 Bronsons, but the rear has some sidewall tears and the side knobs are getting pretty torn up. Performance has been good in most conditions, but they aren't durable enough for the east coast rocks I ride.

I just got a set of the new 29x2.3 Purgatories to replace the Bronsons. I used to use Purgatories and liked them a lot in all conditions, and the new ones are said to grip just as well but roll faster.
    Have a Tallboy on the way and I'm putting Bronson's on. First thing I noticed was the really soft compound. Good looking tread, but I'm not expecting them to last long.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Bring back the Tour de GA
    I see a lot of mixed messages about the Ardents. Seems that people either love them or hate them. I'm considering buying a new Tallboy LT which would come with them installed. Wondering how they'll work on my central Georgia trails. Tight and twisty with lots of smallish rocks and roots and short steep climbs. Mostly tacky soil, but it does get loose when very dry. I don't do a lot of riding in muddy conditions.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, here in the South Tenn area and didn't like the Ardents, that tacky soil I would always lose it. The Bronsons stick much more, my tread has been holding up really nice, no broken nobs, been on them since June. I've been wanting to try knobby nic's so that may be my next or the purgatory tires, but I know I do like the Bronsons. They also roll surprisingly fast.

mtbr member
    Nevegal in the front, slant six in the back.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Nevegal in the front, slant six in the back.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    In my area I found the crossmarks to be tires of death. They did roll quick though.
    I went with maxxis ignitors and have been very happy in both wet and dry and loose over hard. Running tubeless at about 19psi give or take.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I'm running ikons

I really like them in all but the wettest conditions.

mtbr member
    I run a 2.35 Hans Dampf up front and a 2.3 Ground Control in the back for 90% of my riding.

I have another set of wheels for race day - 2.0 Captain up front and a 2.0 Fastrack in the back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bauhaus View Post
    I run a 2.35 Hans Dampf up front and a 2.3 Ground Control in the back for 90% of my riding.

I have another set of wheels for race day - 2.0 Captain up front and a 2.0 Fastrack in the back.
    Sounds like some good combos.
    On my TRc I have a 2.4 Purgatory up front and a 2.3 Ground Control rear, and this is a nice combo for technical trail riding in a variety of terrain. On the TBc I decided to go with the 2.3 Purgatory at both ends since I want maximum rear traction for technical climbs with lots of roots and rocks.

For racing on the TBc I use Rocket Rons. They are very light and roll pretty fast, but still provide a good amount of grip. If the terrain is really rough and rocky I'll just race on the trail/AM tires since the Rons have super-thin sidewalls. When the Rons are used up I might switch to Ikons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Sounds like some good combos.
    On my TRc I have a 2.4 Purgatory up front and a 2.3 Ground Control rear, and this is a nice combo for technical trail riding in a variety of terrain. On the TBc I decided to go with the 2.3 Purgatory at both ends since I want maximum rear traction for technical climbs with lots of roots and rocks.

For racing on the TBc I use Rocket Rons. They are very light and roll pretty fast, but still provide a good amount of grip. If the terrain is really rough and rocky I'll just race on the trail/AM tires since the Rons have super-thin sidewalls. When the Rons are used up I might switch to Ikons.
    The 2.3 Ground Control has the best traction of any rear tire that I have ever used - Purgatory, Rubber Queen, Nobby Nic, etc. and the Hans Dampf is the best front tire that I have ever tried. I am so happy with them that i run the same combo on my 5 Spot.

I used to have Racing Ralphs front and back on my TB for races, but I just tore through them so quickly. The side knobs would literally rip off after a couple of races. They were great gripping tires though - perfect for the technical climbs. I always meant to try Rocket Rons. I am not completely sold my Captain/Fastrak combo, so maybe I will give them a try next time.

I had an Icon on the back of my race wheels about a year ago and I liked it a lot and it wore really well. I have no idea why I did not use it again after it wore out.

mtbr member

Tires for Tallboy

Panaracer Rampage front 2.35'' and Schwalbe Racing Ralph back in 2.25'', running stans goop in both and while not the lightest combo for racing - one of the best for traction here in the bay area
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy Peeps - What tires are you running?-mtbrgoodoone-copy.jpg  

Last edited by panzer07; 12-11-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: picture

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast