Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbuck View Post
    For anyone that is 6'4" with an XXL, please let me know how you're finding that size.
    I've just ordered my XXL and am worried it'll be too big.
    I 6'4"....demoed both sizes in December in Santa Cruz at the factory. XXL was clearly the one. Been on order since January, now if it would just get here! Supposedly coming in late April.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So originally my LBS said end of April, then end of July, then today said not at all this year, have to wait till 2016!!! They said this applies to both XL and XXL tallboy LTC. What a load!

mtbr member
    So originally my LBS said end of April, then end of July, then today said not at all this year, have to wait till 2016!!! They said this applies to both XL and XXL tallboy LTC. What a load!
    are you serious? What happened there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i wish i knew!!! My LBS is trying to get me to consider a Rocky Mountain Instinct 990 BC Edition (XXL). I know it's a good bike, but hard to change now after being so set on SC tallboy LTC!!!! what to do!

mtbr member
    i wish i knew!!! My LBS is trying to get me to consider a Rocky Mountain Instinct 990 BC Edition (XXL). I know it's a good bike, but hard to change now after being so set on SC tallboy LTC!!!! what to do!
    The Niner RIP 9 is so close to being as big as the Tallboy LT too, so you can look at that. But I agree, the Tallboy LT is pretty much the best option for someone as tall as you and I. (I presume you're tall). Check out my spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    awesome spreadsheet, i've been looking at it for some time now. seems that the rocky mountain instinct was never really a serious candidate for you, why? My two finalists were niner rip and tallboy ltc...and decided on tlc, but not sure what i'm going to do now.

mtbr member
    awesome spreadsheet, i've been looking at it for some time now. seems that the rocky mountain instinct was never really a serious candidate for you, why? My two finalists were niner rip and tallboy ltc...and decided on tlc, but not sure what i'm going to do now.
    I'm not sure I trust the suspension design on it, and I haven't been able to demo it. It's probably a good bike too though! Right now I'm just waiting to see what happens in July or whenever. Although there is a small chance that this post is alluding to Tallboy LT related news.

mtbr member
    I don't know why your local bike shop would be unable to get a Tallboy LTC XXL this year. Competitive Cyclist has frames and complete bikes in XXL. Actually, I almost never look there, but Colorado Cyclist has them as well.

So that's weird.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Looks like the LTc is gone from the website in any size, only the CC available now.

Santa Cruz Tallboy LT

Mt buddy has a XL LTCC S build on order since Feb. Last word is May 7. Keeps getting put off 2 weeks at a time. Wonder if he will end up in the same boat with the XL size delayed until 2016. LBS very frustrated, high $$ bike in limbo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had a XXL LTCC S Build on order as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMB'er View Post
    Looks like the LTc is gone from the website in any size, only the CC available now.
    Ooooh. Missed that extra 'C'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I had a XXL LTCC S Build on order as well!
    And your LBS said no go this year for the XL and XXL? Buddy's LBS just told him his MIGHT be in this week, if not then May 7. He's been hearing this since Feb though.

I will forward him asollie's spreadsheet, maybe time to move on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMB'er View Post
    And your LBS said no go this year for the XL and XXL? Buddy's LBS just told him his MIGHT be in this week, if not then May 7. He's been hearing this since Feb though.

I will forward him asollie's spreadsheet, maybe time to move on.
    The RIP 9 has an equal stack but a shorter reach. If that works, you can get a sweet build for the same price as the LTCC S that has a better fork, all XT parts, and carbon bars.

mtbr member
    Was there ever a TBLTc? I've been demoing and following this bike for some time and, while it was referred to as the LTc by most people on MTBR, the only thing I remember on the Santa Cruz site was the CC material. There was, and still is, a TBc and TBcc but I don't recall the LT version as a C.

Please let me know if I missed something. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I think people refered to the TBLTcc as the TBLTc since it was around before SC started doing two grades of carbon frames. Since they haven't introduced a lower grade TBLT (yet?) its confusing, since there is only one carbon version, but it is their higher quality method or whatever, so they are being sure to brand it as CC now.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That is what I understood.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the 2016 kit since it falls right at the point I plan to purchase a new bike. Right now, the TBLTcc is number one on my list and the only thing that could change that is a demo day in eastern Pennsylvania on May 20 when I will finally get a Bronson and 5010 on dirt with technical riding. I've already had the TBLT in those conditions and was very impressed. I'll take the TBLT out again to get a valid side by side comparison of all three.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    News Flash!
    Just called my buddy to tell him about thunderbuck's situation, maybe time to look elsewhere, yada, yada. He listened politely for a minute or two then interrrupted to say that his new XL LTCC-S was in the back of his truck! He just picked it up and was on his way to demo it with a couple friends. The LBS ordered what he wanted with no obligation, buy it if you like it, return it if you don't. IMO, there is no way he doesn't snap it up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's awesome AZMB. How long has he been waiting?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Colin, it appears that comp cyc has them, but once you put it in your shopping basket, there's a note that says will ship when available.....so they're not available, anywhere, on any site. I wish i was wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's awesome AZMB. How long has he been waiting?
    Pretty sure it was late Feb or early Mar. when the LBS made the order. He demoed an XL 5010c and loved it but wanted the 29" wheels. I am curious to see how the fit is to his 6'4" 190-200lb (guessing) frame.

How long were you waiting?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My order was placed in early to mid March.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My LBS today said that they speculate SC is going to come out with a new frame April 2016 and therefore are not producing new stock and that's why i can't get at XXL, they're all sold. Guess I'm waiting till next April.

mtbr member
    My LBS today said that they speculate SC is going to come out with a new frame April 2016 and therefore are not producing new stock and that's why i can't get at XXL, they're all sold. Guess I'm waiting till next April.
    This was such a horrifying idea that it killed the thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's ridiculous and would cause me to question anything your LBS has been telling you. All indications are that the TBLTc is a very popular model, so since SC already has molds in place to make the current TBLTc, why wouldn't they continue to crank them out until this supposed April 2016 model is ready?

My money is still on SC having to wait until the 2016 MY shocks are available. Fox seems to be SC's OEM shock partner, and since 2015 shocks are NLA, SC has to wait to get their hands on 2016 shocks before they can resume frame shipments.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Schwa72, yes i agree, it is ridiculous. I left a message with SC over the weekend, no response. Also, called some other LBSs in the area. One responded after talking to their SC rep, and came back with something even more preposterous, i copy and paste their reply here: The “delay” that you might be experiencing is likely because Santa Cruz has discontinued the Tallboy LTc in the XXL size. The are still doing the Tallboy Carbon (100mm travel) in the XXL size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hi Schwa72, yes i agree, it is ridiculous. I left a message with SC over the weekend, no response. Also, called some other LBSs in the area. One responded after talking to their SC rep, and came back with something even more preposterous, i copy and paste their reply here: The “delay” that you might be experiencing is likely because Santa Cruz has discontinued the Tallboy LTc in the XXL size. The are still doing the Tallboy Carbon (100mm travel) in the XXL size.
    As crazy as that sounds, it's at least more reasonable than SC not making any frames until next April. Either way, it sucks that you're having such a hard time getting the bike you want. I guess that's one benefit to being short - I was able to find my size M frame in stock with no problem at all!

mtbr member
    Wow, that sucks.

I have to be honest, fit is pretty damn important and if you can't get a XXL LTc, I'd be looking at other options. Trek has XXL / 23" in quite a few models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Colin, the trek remedy 9.8 carbon looks sweet, but no XXL in that model!!!! argh

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Wow, that sucks.

I have to be honest, fit is pretty damn important and if you can't get a XXL LTc, I'd be looking at other options. Trek has XXL / 23" in quite a few models.
    I saw the Trek comment / suggestion and thought I'd share.
    Whilst it's possibly not enough travel for you at 120mm, but speaking as an owner of a Trek Fuel 9.9 XXL I can tell you it's a decent size. I'm 1.93m (6'4") with a 36" inseam and I've plenty of room. The top tube / reach is so long that I'm running a 40mm stem with 780mm wide bars and it's lovely and spacious.

Just thought I'd give some real world perspective on their size. If I were 3 or 4 inches taller I could still get away with it easily.

It's certainly

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks JonJones. I'm on a trek XXL right now and the fit is pretty good for me, that's why I suspect the remedy 9.8 XL probably won't quite fit me; too bad though, cause i want 140mm pike.
    Just heard from SC today. they're best guess on earliest ETA for XL and XXL SC tallboy ltc is Jan 2016.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks JonJones. I'm on a trek XXL right now and the fit is pretty good for me, that's why I suspect the remedy 9.8 XL probably won't quite fit me; too bad though, cause i want 140mm pike.
    Just heard from SC today. they're best guess on earliest ETA for XL and XXL SC tallboy ltc is Jan 2016.
    Really? Did they give a reason?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    they didn't say, but said "We are not discontinuing the line, we just have a serious delay in receiving those particular XL and XXL sizes right now."

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    maybe new redesign frame coming out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well Colorado Cyclist has XL frames in stock FWIW. And if SC isn't discontinuing the line it doesn't make sense that they'd have no bikes available for 8+ months just because there's a new model coming out next year -- especially right now, right in the middle of the MTB season. There must be something going on that's beyond their control.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    SC called me yesterday. SC changed vendors in China and they weren't happy with quality of the frames. XXL availability is Feb 2016. Says to his knowledge there isn't a redesign because of its popularity (what else can he say).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    SC called me yesterday. SC changed vendors in China and they weren't happy with quality of the frames. XXL availability is Feb 2016. Says to his knowledge there isn't a redesign because of its popularity (what else can he say).
    Bummer.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just read that the Stumpjumper FSR is coming out with an XXL for 2016. Intriguing new frame geometry. Would love to demo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12