Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tallboy LTc vs Ibis Ripley

I know, I know. This is a phantom comparison because no one on earth has actually ever ridden a Ripley. One has to wonder if they will ever be sold. But, I have my annual guys' weekend mountain biking trip coming up end of Sept (Park City this year) and I had been holding out on getting a new bike to at least be able to "consider" the Ripley. Looks like I'll have to wait another year ... or more :-) ... if I'm to do that. So I am hoping someone has some keen insights that allow me to pull the trigger on the Tallboy LTc without regret when the Ripley finally comes out.
    Last edited by Tahoe Gator; 08-24-2012 at 10:23 AM.

WWJR
    Is this the 1st year for an Ibis 29er?
    Eccentric pivots....? hmmmm. Wonder what kinda thrashing they can take?
    120mm travel vs 135mm travel?
    Not to sound biased, but TBLTc all the way!
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Now older but less slow!
    Your title says Tallboy LTc but in the post you say Nomad LTc. I assume you mean TBLTc.

With that said don't wait. Get the TBTLc. You will not be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yup, Tallboy LTc...I edited it

mtbr member
    I can e-speculate w/ the best of 'em...so I'll play
    I'm gonna say the DW link wallows too much for my taste...I was looking at my buddy's Mojo and the thing likes to be at 50% sag. It could be a poor setup, but there's NO FRIGGIN' WAY, I'd like that setup! A VPP like the TBc or LTc w/ a coil...if you can get over the weight, is absolutely stunning! Plus, pivot w/in pivot...are you crazy or glutton to do maintenance to keep the creaking down?!?!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

First comparison of Ripley and Tallboy LTc

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I can e-speculate w/ the best of 'em...so I'll play
    I'm gonna say the DW link wallows too much for my taste...I was looking at my buddy's Mojo and the thing likes to be at 50% sag. It could be a poor setup, but there's NO FRIGGIN' WAY, I'd like that setup! A VPP like the TBc or LTc w/ a coil...if you can get over the weight, is absolutely stunning! Plus, pivot w/in pivot...are you crazy or glutton to do maintenance to keep the creaking down?!?!
    Having had a Mojo SL for the last 5 years stolen earlier in the year I was forced to change to a new brand as I wanted to change to a 29er and the Ripley was not available. I went for a Tallboy LTc and have been blown away by the bike. Granted it has the perfect spec : Fox 34 , Mavic Crossmax wheels , XXI drive chain ... weight 26lb with Thomson stem 27lb with Reverb dropper . The bike climbs as well as my old Mojo SL but is increadibly fast over rough undulating single track and rock gardens. Downhill it is superb and much better than my sons 160mm Lapierre Spicy. A true all round bike.... until I spotted the new Ripley in my LBS yesterday which had arrived only the day before... I fell in love!... it was more beautiful than my Tallboy LTC....first impression in the car park ,it was as smooth and plush as my TallboyLTc... what do I do ??? set up a test ride with the risk of causing a divorce or have an affair and have both ?? ..my mates think I should stick with what I have.. but I have always loved Ibis !

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Ripley is sweet with a 140mm fork on there. Just too damn small for us big guys. I'm looking at an XXL TBLTc for my next bike. With the 150mm Pike too.... Oh yeah...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    The Ripley is sweet with a 140mm fork on there. Just too damn small for us big guys. I'm looking at an XXL TBLTc for my next bike. With the 150mm Pike too.... Oh yeah...
    That will be a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Any new trail comparisons? I have the LTc but an hearing great things about the ripley.

GMM
    mtbr member
    I've demo'd both extensively. 3x each on a variety of terrain. Probably climbed 8,000 ft on each and descended an equal amount . My riding style is probably best characterized as aggressive XC. My impressions are as follows: Ripley is more agile and snappy through single track. TBLTc feels more stable. Both are very good through rocks. Ripley is more plush than you would expect for 120mm of travel. Ripley is all I would need in terms of capability. TBLTc is more than I need, and I would never feel outgunned on any trail that I am comfortable on. Still, the TBLTc doesn't hold me back on climbs. In fact, I tackled the same loose rock climb (Downieville, CA) on both and actually felt better on the LTc. Ripley would probably win on smoother climb, but I don't think the gap is huge. I'm 5'11 and the TBLTc size large fits me slightly better (70mm stem), although the large Ripley with a 90mm stem was pretty good. I tried a 70 mm stem on the Ripley and it felt a bit too short. Actually, had a little problem keeping it straight on steeper climbs, but not with the 90mm stem. If I got myself into an "oh ****" situation, I would want to be on the TBLTc. If I wanted to perform my best in a longer race, I'd choose the Ripley. They are both great bikes with different strengths.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Im not the best extreme rider or anything but I put this vid together for guys with this question

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    I've demo'd both extensively. 3x each on a variety of terrain. Probably climbed 8,000 ft on each and descended an equal amount . My riding style is probably best characterized as aggressive XC. My impressions are as follows: Ripley is more agile and snappy through single track. TBLTc feels more stable. Both are very good through rocks. Ripley is more plush than you would expect for 120mm of travel. Ripley is all I would need in terms of capability. TBLTc is more than I need, and I would never feel outgunned on any trail that I am comfortable on. Still, the TBLTc doesn't hold me back on climbs. In fact, I tackled the same loose rock climb (Downieville, CA) on both and actually felt better on the LTc. Ripley would probably win on smoother climb, but I don't think the gap is huge. I'm 5'11 and the TBLTc size large fits me slightly better (70mm stem), although the large Ripley with a 90mm stem was pretty good. I tried a 70 mm stem on the Ripley and it felt a bit too short. Actually, had a little problem keeping it straight on steeper climbs, but not with the 90mm stem. If I got myself into an "oh ****" situation, I would want to be on the TBLTc. If I wanted to perform my best in a longer race, I'd choose the Ripley. They are both great bikes with different strengths.
    I finally got some trail time on a Ripley. I have owned a TB LTc for about a year. The whole time I was on the Ripley, I thought of this summary and how dead on it was. The Ripley is a great bike, but I found it to be less stable at high speed on steep or really rough stuff than the TBLTc. If I were looking to rip tight, twisty single track without too much steep chunk, I'd probably pick the Ripley. For a do it all bike for people who routinely get in over their heads, I'd pick the LTc. They feel like different categories of bike, to me. The Ripley is racier, and feels much more progressive. The Tallboy LTc was less agile, but carried momentum through really rough stuff better. I thought the small-medium bump compliance on the Ripley was better than the TB LTc but that the TB handles big chunk better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    So from someone who's riding style sits more towards popping off things on the trail, perhaps not at the highest of speeds (as compared to DH speeds on a true DH bike), I concur w/ the highlights of the quoted text...especially the sentiment that the LTc can bail your ass out of those "oh ****" moments!
    I'm on a large w/ a 150mm Pike, and a Monarch RC3+, w/ a set of those Light-Bicycle hoop'd wheels and a set of HUGE rubber - 2.5/2.3, DHF/DHR2s.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsalmondoc View Post
    Having had a Mojo SL for the last 5 years stolen earlier in the year I was forced to change to a new brand as I wanted to change to a 29er and the Ripley was not available. I went for a Tallboy LTc and have been blown away by the bike. Granted it has the perfect spec : Fox 34 , Mavic Crossmax wheels , XXI drive chain ... weight 26lb with Thomson stem 27lb with Reverb dropper . The bike climbs as well as my old Mojo SL but is increadibly fast over rough undulating single track and rock gardens. Downhill it is superb and much better than my sons 160mm Lapierre Spicy. A true all round bike.... until I spotted the new Ripley in my LBS yesterday which had arrived only the day before... I fell in love!... it was more beautiful than my Tallboy LTC....first impression in the car park ,it was as smooth and plush as my TallboyLTc... what do I do ??? set up a test ride with the risk of causing a divorce or have an affair and have both ?? ..my mates think I should stick with what I have.. but I have always loved Ibis !
    So what do you end up doing? Did you keep your LTc or get the Ripley or both. If you have some saddle time in the dirt on both, I would love to hear your thoughts, particularly because I too am coming off a Mojo SL and about about to get a Tallboy LTc, but Ripley keeps saying, "consider me dude". Leaning heavily toward the Tallboy LTc so that I have as much ammo as possible for the bigger stuff. But my local trails which I ride 90% of the time have a lot of tight twisty single track, and I just want to make sure it tackles the tight stuff (i.e. steep switchbacks) nearly as good at the Mojo. Your thoughts would be most appreciated. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Ktothetothe,
    I've ridden the Ripley for a few months, switched to Tallboy LTc last month.
    Both bikes are very good FS 29ers.
    The Ripley is more XC/Trail bike, the Tallboy is an AM bike.
    The Ripley feels great on twisty single track, and pedals extremely well, but when you tackle very rocky terrain at speed, you can feel it does not belong there.
    On the other hand, the Tallboy is very good at these types of extreme terrain. It can handle bigger bumps and jumps, But it steers a bit slower, and pedals uphill less efficiently.
    It's for you to decide which one suits your riding style.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by quisp View Post
    Hi Ktothetothe,
    The Ripley feels great on twisty single track, and pedals extremely well, but when you tackle very rocky terrain at speed, you can feel it does not belong there.
    On the other hand, the Tallboy is very good at these types of extreme terrain. It can handle bigger bumps and jumps, But it steers a bit slower, and pedals uphill less efficiently.
    Good luck!
    Perfect description. Both great bikes but with somewhat different emphases.

mtbr member
    Hi Ktothetothe,
    Good luck!
    Thanks Quisp. Yeah, that's what I expecting to be the comparison between the TBLTc and the Ripley. Do you feel like the the TBLTc handles the tight twisty stuff well, even if not quite as good as the Ripper in that area? I'm willing to take a little penalty in the tight twisty for what I get in the big stuff, as long as I don't have to walk every tight steep switchback I can currently clear on my Mojo.
    Last edited by ktothetothe; 02-27-2014 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ktothetothe View Post
    Thanks Quisp. Yeah, that's what I expecting to be the comparison between the TBLTc and the Ripley. Do you feel like the the TBLTc handles the tight twisty stuff well, even if not quite as good as the Ripper in that area? I'm willing to take a little penalty in the tight twisty for what I get in the big stuff, as long as I don't have to walk every tight steep switchback I used to be able to get on my Mojo.
    You'll be fine. The Tallboy LTc is still a very nimble bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    You'll be fine. The Tallboy LTc is still a very nimble bike.
    I agree with the Hillharman. Il'l give the Ripley 9 out of 10 at switchbacks, and 8 out of 10 for the Tallboy. Not a big deal for a good rider. BTW: The Tallboy does not creak :-)

mtbr member
    I agree with the Hillharman. Il'l give the Ripley 9 out of 10 at switchbacks, and 8 out of 10 for the Tallboy. Not a big deal for a good rider. BTW: The Tallboy does not creak :-)
    Sweet, thanks Quisp and Hillharman. I'll take 8 out of 10 any day if that gives me ammo in the back pocket for the big.

But what's this about a creak?

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ktothetothe View Post
    Sweet, thanks Quisp and Hillharman. I'll take 8 out of 10 any day if that gives me ammo in the back pocket for the big.

But what's this about a creak?
    Some Ripley owners have had a creak develop in the rear suspension. There are some threads in the Ibis forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    Some Ripley owners have had a creak develop in the rear suspension. There are some threads in the Ibis forum.
    Ah, thanks. I don't like creaks. Creeks can be fun, though.

mtbr member
    mike ferrentino's interesting take on the ripley:

Exclusive: Dream Bikes-the Extended Version

for me the Ripley's BB is the #1 reason not to get the ripley. creak creak creak creak creak

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I concur. I'll stick with the ol' tried n' true threaded BB.
    And i also agree with the 8 of 10 on switchbacks on the LTc. LOVE my LTc when chit get's HAIRY. It's saved my bacon several times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    I concur. I'll stick with the ol' tried n' true threaded BB.
    And i also agree with the 8 of 10 on switchbacks on the LTc. LOVE my LTc when chit get's HAIRY. It's saved my bacon several times.
    Nice! I rode with a dude last night who was on an LTc on my local tight twisty trails. He had no problems. And in the gnar, he was giddy as a school girl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast