mtbr member

Tallboy LTc pricing

I'm interested in purchasing a 2013 Tallboy LTc with SPXAM292X10 build kit MSRP 5,699. I'm not looking to nickle and dime the LBS, but wondering what is a fair price to pay for this bike?

Now older but less slow!
    Seems like straight retail to me. Are you getting the Fox 34 or a Rockshox? Also what is your rear shock? Stock bike comes with basic Float shock. If you want trail adjust and Kashima coating then that is usually an extra $205 add on cost. Some things to check.

However for a bike that has been out for a year I think better deals can be had now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    No need to nickel and dime, but a good LBS is going to cut you a break on MSRP. If they won't, buy it online. I'd expect to get 5-10% off.

mtbr member
    The price I listed was MSRP off Santa Cruz's website add $200 for upgraded rear shock. I'm thinking the bike shop could do better than 5-10% off a bike with this high of a MSRP and can still make a fair profit.

What have others paid for their LTc?

Where would you recommend to buy online?

mtbr member
    my lbs knocked off 5 hundred, and then I ended up with upgrades of over 2k! go figure!
    [SIZE="3"]THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
    The price I listed was MSRP off Santa Cruz's website add $200 for upgraded rear shock. I'm thinking the bike shop could do better than 5-10% off a bike with this high of a MSRP and can still make a fair profit.

I was quoting 5-10% as a minimum. I think you could do better. I know people have had luck working with Competitive Cyclist. I've bought two bikes from them and been very happy. They will work with you a bit on price as well.

Now older but less slow!

Tallboy LTc pricing

Ah, I misread the first post.

When I bought mine the bikes were still new and in short demand (I got one of the first 2013 spec and had to wait 6 weeks for it).

None of the local SC dealers were discounting the bike at the time but I got a 10% in store credit, worth over $600 that I then spend on other bits/upgrades.

That 10% credit basically covered the cost of the sales tax on the bike.

b a n n e d
    I know what invoice pricing is on these frames (and no, I won't tell, so don't ask), and 15-20% off for a good customer (i.e., a repeat buyer, regular customer, not some "show-rooming dickwad") is going to be very reasonable for most shops.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i'm interested in finding a deal too on an XL. local bike shop wants the retail for the lowest priced build kit which is like 4200 i believe. seems like i should be able to find one for less but haven't had much luck looking online so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here's my experience: If the buyer is a good customer at LBS, it's pretty easy to get 10% off retail on an aluminum or carbon complete (a current bike, not a close out or last year model). For more than 10% discount (again, on a current model), the buyer has to be be a really good customer or catch the manager in a deal-making mood. Best deal I've gotten at LBS (again, a current model) was 17% and that was paying check or cash, not credit card. My understanding (could be wrong) is that percentagewise, there's more room to deal on a carbon bike with higher end components than there is on alumimum with lower end components. Me personally, if best I can do at my preferred LBS is paying 5% more than the online retailer price, I'd still buy at the LBS.
    Last edited by Mike T; 04-13-2013 at 12:06 PM.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Here's my experience: If the buyer is a good customer at LBS, it's pretty easy to get 10% off retail on an aluminum or carbon complete (a current bike, not a close out or last year model). For more than 10% discount (again, on a current model), the buyer has to be be a really good customer or catch the manager in a deal-making mood. Best deal I've gotten at LBS (again, a current model) was 17% and that was paying check or cash, not credit card. My understanding (could be wrong) is that percentagewise, there's more room to deal on a carbon bike with higher end components than there is on alumimum with lower end components. Me personally, if best I can do at my preferred LBS is 5% more than the online retailer price, I'd still buy at the LBS.
    Yeah, forgot about the cash/check part. Credit is a no-go for big discounts. Definitely agree on the higher end stuff having more negotiating room too, especially if your shop is adding a premium.

I think that the other major piece is how "new" the bike is. There is ZERO chance of me getting ANY discount on a Bronson right now. But the TBLT? Yeah, probably could work that down a bit because its a year in production already.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Good info. Now if i could just find another local shop. The only shop near me is Fatz in Asheville, NC and they unfortunately don't have a lot of stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Check out my TB LTc for sale in the classifieds 29er full sus page.

mtbr member
    Awesome bike and build for the $$$, but looks like it's sold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've been on SC large frames my entire life, but have finally accepted that I should def. be on an XL. Being slightly over 30 has reassured me of this (getting old). I currently have a pretty new Blur LTC in a large but am looking for something in an XL either tallboy lt (never tried 29er's), or a blur TR perhaps. Its a shame that I missed out on the parking lot sale.