mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Tallboy LTc and Pike 160mm

Hi

has anyone thought of or is already riding a Tallboy LTc with a Rock Shox Pike 160mm. What do you think about the combination?

A friend rides a Transalpes 29 with a Pike 150mm, he just loves the Pike....

mtbr member
    I have a Pike 150 (46mm offset) on my LTc. Good combo. I'm thinking the 160 is a bit much, but that's just me.

Edit: AFAIK, the 160s aren't out till early '14...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I have a Pike 150 (46mm offset) on my LTc. Good combo. I'm thinking the 160 is a bit much, but that's just me.

Edit: AFAIK, the 160s aren't out till early '14...
    You are right, 160 is a bit much. What shock are you using?

I was not aware that there are different offset versions of the pike available? What are the offset options? Cant find that info on their website...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountlynx View Post

I was not aware that there are different offset versions of the pike available? What are the offset options? Cant find that info on their website...
    Rear shock is a Monarch RC3+ M/M tune

The Fox 34s coming on the LTcs are 51mm offset (the Pikes offer this and a 46). 51 is quicker in the slows, but a touch nervous in the fasts...and vise versa for the 46. But, I have the 46...it really doesn't give up much in the slows. Plus, I can "body English" the bike going slow. The LTc likes to go fast, so I choose the 46 (and it was the only option I had as early as I got my Pike)
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member

BTW, I posted the stuff below on the TB LTc's owner thread...
    With a 2.5 Minion DHF and a 2.3 Minion DHR2, the 150/46 Pike put the HTA at a bit steeper than 67.5* (I think that's what it was). That's pretty nice for high speed work, and yet I still didn't feel the bike wanting to plow in sharp turns. But w/ a 160...that might tilt the balance to...unfavorable...altho you could run same tires frt/rr and recover a 1/2* of HTA?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the explanation. That sounds great. Just to understand it correct - a smaller offset result in a smaller wheelbase, correct?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the explanation. That sounds great. Just to understand it correct - a smaller offset result in a smaller wheelbase, correct?
    It does. I know, it sounds counter-intuitive! You should dig a bit on fork offset on steering...it's VERY counter-intuitive!
    In short, the small the offset (rake), the larger the trail, the more stable the bike is at speed even tho the WB is shorter. I'm sure there's a pretty small margin where you cross the point of depreciative returns...but there's no discussion on this.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Paul11y

I really appreciate your detailed answers. I like riding technical trails and tight switchbacks - as I understand it right, I should go for the 51mm offset then....

Now older but less slow!
    Hey Pau11y, is your Pike the solo air or the dual position? I'm putting the Pike on my Christmas list and I want the dual position. I'm thinking of the 120/150 with the 51mm offset but I'm not positive. May go for 110/140.

One of the things I don't like with the Fox 34 I have now is that the front end of the bike seems to have lost its "hook up" with the terrain and steering has got slow and drifts a lot in corners. Considering that I spend 70-80% of my ride climbing and the rest descending I want that shorter travel for a better climbing experience but I'm concerned if the 150mm will cause the front end to drift more and if I will be better slicking to 140mm. Then the question is how will a TB LTc handle with a 110mm on the front?

Logically 120/150 is probably the path to go but I'm exploring my options...

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Hey Pau11y, is your Pike the solo air or the dual position? I'm putting the Pike on my Christmas list and I want the dual position. I'm thinking of the 120/150 with the 51mm offset but I'm not positive. May go for 110/140.

One of the things I don't like with the Fox 34 I have now is that the front end of the bike seems to have lost its "hook up" with the terrain and steering has got slow and drifts a lot in corners. Considering that I spend 70-80% of my ride climbing and the rest descending I want that shorter travel for a better climbing experience but I'm concerned if the 150mm will cause the front end to drift more and if I will be better slicking to 140mm. Then the question is how will a TB LTc handle with a 110mm on the front?

Logically 120/150 is probably the path to go but I'm exploring my options...
    There have been a lot of posts about this in the LTc thread.

A Pike at 140 climbs even the steeps great so need need to go with a DP fork. That was the main thing that pushed me to the 140 instead of the 150.