Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Competent User

Is the Tallboy LTc that much better than the LTa

I'm set on getting a Tallboy LT. I demoed an LTc and fell deeply in love with the bike. I've read through the whole owners thread, and I'm wondering if I can get away with the aluminum without feeling like I blew it. Money is definitely an issue, so the cheaper the better.

But I'm curious what you folks think. Most of the time, people just love they bike they bought, because it's the bike you bought. But are there any LTc owners who don't see the big advantage? Are there any LTa owners who really wish they ponied up for the carbon?

What say you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I have also been looking into the Tallboy LT. I would love to hear owners feedback on this. Also any Cylde's (over 250) have any feedback would be great also (sorry to hijack your tread).

Competent User
    Pile on my man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    210 lbs buttnaked on an LTc. My philosophy has always been that the money spent on a carbon frame is worth it. I only have a parking lot ride on the Al version, but there's just a solidity and stiffness and for lack of a better word "feel" to the carbon frame that is irreplaceable, especially if you are a big guy. I'd shop around and try to find a place that might work with you on the price to get an LTc. I would think they can be had for $500-800 under msrp if you look around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    ...Also any Cylde's (over 250) have any feedback would be great also (sorry to hijack your tread).
    I'm 275 geared up, the bike holds up fine, have no fear!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have not ridden either the LTc or the LT so cant speak on stiffness.

I ride a Rip9 RDO but tell friends that if they don't have loads of money, They are better to go with the alloy frame & spring for a much better set of wheels & that will give them a faster bike.

LB carbon rims work well.

My 2 c

mtbr member

Yes.

I've ridden both the Aluminum and Carbon, and am a happy owner of a carbon. I'm 220 (ok..228) without any gear and have taken the bike to the limits of my comfort. The stiffness is noticeably different, and I think helps the bikes handling. It's the first bike I've owned that hasn't started creaking, making sounds, needing replacement parts or anything. I'm extremely happy with it's durability (I've got 550 miles on it in 4 months.) I work at a shop and we went to Santa Cruz last fall to learn more about the bikes, the design and how awesome they really were. They took us into their fatigue lab, and before we even could ask they told us their carbon is twice as strong as their aluminum. If at all possible I'd go with carbon. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I went with the carbon because I had the extra cash at the time. 3 months later, I threw on some Enve AM hoops.

If I'm being honest, I can't say I felt any noticeable difference with the LTa vs LTc with similar components. However, the Enve rims made an already awesome bike into something phenomenal. It really came alive!

If I were to do it again with limited funds, I would go with the alloy frame with carbon wheels as that's where I felt the biggest change.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

Competent User

I demoed the LTc with Enve rims. Just amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i weigh 300. been on an aluminum heckler and its held up great for 7 years.
    i demo d a carbon LT.
    Now i just cant decide on the blue or the matte/yellow they just busted out.
    the demo bike was SOLID

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    For me frame weight is irrelevent. My first ride on my LTc blew me away with how laterally stiff it was and how well it tracked.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Competent User

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    For me frame weight is irrelevent. My first ride on my LTc blew me away with how laterally stiff it was and how well it tracked.
    Have you ridden an LTa to compare?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've got the LTa and its awesome. For the weight savings, the money didn't make sense. I'm 170ish riding weight and ride the bike hard for endure races. No issues, feels stiff and responsive. You won't go wrong with the LTa. Take the extra cash you save and get an angleset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    ... and fell deeply in love with the bike...
    Lol!

mtbr member
    OP: have you looked into the used market for a LTc? I see them come up every so often w/ pretty marked amount off full MSRP...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I went with the carbon always felt the ride would be a bit better,like when I first switched from Alum. bars to carbon, better shock absorption. My local dealer[ Bicycle Outfitters] has some great discounts on this years TB and TBLTc due to minor changes in the new models. As for stiffness watch the video on the SantaCruz site of the LT ride at the Oregon Enduro race-amazing. BTW my preference for the carbon might be just be my over thinking and not real performance diff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    I've got the LTa and its awesome. For the weight savings, the money didn't make sense. I'm 170ish riding weight and ride the bike hard for endure races. No issues, feels stiff and responsive. You won't go wrong with the LTa. Take the extra cash you save and get an angleset.
    Out of curiosity, what would the angle set improve about the TB?

I have 2 months riding the LTc, and have never tried the "a" version so can't really compare, but she's an amazing ride. No bad qualities at all. I'm at 208 plus gear, 2 months ago I was 213 Lbs. Mine is full XTR and weighs around 26.3 ish Lbs. That's where Carbon shines. The Enve's might just bring me below 26 Lbs, but $800 a hoop is steep.

Personally I'd prefer Carbon with full SLX over Aluminum with full XTR.

Competent User

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    OP: have you looked into the used market for a LTc? I see them come up every so often w/ pretty marked amount off full MSRP...
    I'm not ready to buy yet, but yes, I have. If I'm spending enough on a carbon bike, I'd like the security of the warranty though.

mtbr member
    Hey a quick derail... How many of you LTc/a guys run Fox 34s for fork, and have any of you had issues w/ creaking/popping crowns/stanchion bonds? I'm going on my 4th CSU and it's KILLING me! I'm supposed to use that chassis to test a fork cartridge for Craig at Avy!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey a quick derail... How many of you LTc/a guys run Fox 34s for fork, and have any of you had issues w/ creaking/popping crowns/stanchion bonds? I'm going on my 4th CSU and it's KILLING me! I'm supposed to use that chassis to test a fork cartridge for Craig at Avy!
    This is one reason I want to build from a frame. I want the Pike. Seems like lots of people unhappy with the fox34. But it's hard to know if that's just an Internet thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Pau11y, Mine is a Fox-34 but no creaking issues, but lots of re-builds. Fork seems to run dry quickly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Angleset will slack the front out a bit. Gives you a more solid feel at speed and in the steeps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab70 View Post
    This is one reason I want to build from a frame. I want the Pike. Seems like lots of people unhappy with the fox34. But it's hard to know if that's just an Internet thing.
    I also have a 36 Float 160 and it's been perfect w/ respect to the crown/stanchion. It's NOT a Kash coat'd fork tho...so I wonder if that coating is reducing the crown's ability grab the legs...

I don't want to go back down to a 32mm fork for a LTc...I keep a pair of Marz 44 Micro Ti as backup for the bike. I can/do feel the legs move under braking. I'm thinking I should sell the Fox and get a X-Fusion...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Pau11y, Mine is a Fox-34 but no creaking issues, but lots of re-builds. Fork seems to run dry quickly.
    Your prob along w/ crappy damping is the reason why I'm going to the Avy cart. BTW fruitafrank, have you looked into higher viscosity motor oil for bath/lube oil? I've been rebuilding my 34s after I get them back from Fox w/ Valvolene Maxlife 20/50wt...also use this in the air chamber...pretty damn buttery!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Your prob along w/ crappy damping is the reason why I'm going to the Avy cart. BTW fruitafrank, have you looked into higher viscosity motor oil for bath/lube oil? I've been rebuilding my 34s after I get them back from Fox w/ Valvolene Maxlife 20/50wt...also use this in the air chamber...pretty damn buttery!
    Looking forward to hearing your review of the Avalanche cartridge. The clock is ticking for me and my Fox 34. At this point, I'm probably going to just buy a Pike, have the Fox upgrade to 2014 internals and sell it. I'm never buying another Fox product again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast