mtbr member

Tallboy LTc M or L? Advantages?

So here is the lowdown....I'm 5'10" with a 31.5 inseam and sit right in the middle of SC sizing. Pretty much all of the threads on sizing and shops I talk to say I should be on a Large. Here's the rub...I have been able to demo a Yeti SB95c in a size M with a 90mm stem and it feels like it fits really well and it rides great. Will be able to demo a TB LTc, sz M, in several days to compare.
    GEO:
    SB95c: M: ST=18 TT=23.1
    L: ST= 19.5 TT=24

TB LTc: M: ST=17.7 TT=23.1
    L: ST=19.5 TT=24.1

My main question is this. What are the advantages/disadvantages to either size? I really like the way the Yeti fits and I think the SC will fit similarly but am I missing something?
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

bog
    mtbr member
    You can't compare the sizing from those numbers because both of them have seat tube angles that are not true angles (running straight up from the bb) so the TT length is artificial. What about stack and reach?
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Thanks.
    I just got done measuring this from a suggestion that I had. SC lists theirs Yeti does not.

Yeti(measured) sz M: S=610 R=420 (120 Fork)

SC sz L: S=630mm R=414mm (140 Fork)

So it seems to me that accounting for the 140 fork being a little taller overall it pretty much matches the numbers up and my conclusion is this:

Yeti M SB95c = SC Lg TBLTc

Of course how they pedal/perform is subjective to the rider. I know how the Yeti rides

Now I need to ride the SC and make a decision. And, I'll throw this in the mix...I'm also looking at 650b; Santa Cruz, Ibis and now Yeti also.

Good thing I'm going to Outerbike.

Bodhisattva
    fyi....I'm 5'9" with 33" bike inseam - all legs, short torso. I ride a M TB LT with a 70mm stem. I like an upright, aggressive AM position.

In my case, I see no advantage to the L frame
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Fat-tired Roadie
    Assuming some combination of stems and handlebars will get you your preferred riding position on both sizes, it's all about weight distribution. One will have a lighter front end than the other. If you have the opportunity to set up both bikes to fit you and ride them back to back, that'd be pretty awesome. But you'll probably still be able to get a decent sense just riding them both.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I'm the same size as the OP. I test rode both M and L and found the large to be a better fit. The wheels didn't seem as big on the large if that makes since. I ended up buying a large Bronson but loved the TB also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am just about the same size and did quite a few demos trying decide between M and L. Every bike/frame I have purchase I went through the same quandary. Always seem to end up on a large frame or something with a 24 inch TT. Don't forget about ETT (Effective Top Tube). I wound up getting the large TBC too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. I think that for my riding style I will end up with the Large if I go with Santa Cruz.

Now....we ride and repeat, ride and repeat, decide then buy and build, then RIDE.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I agree with above , I am 1/2" taller than you and close on inseam and I fit a Large TBLTc perfect. Check out the Large.