mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Tallboy LT+Pike+angle set info

Just posted a quick review on my blog for the Tallboy LT with Pike and angle set

J Swell

Any questions, let me know

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What size bar and stem are you using on this setup? Very interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm using the stock bar and stem. Easton Haven 711mm and 60cm stem. I'm on a medium frame.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I've been running a similar setup for about a year but with 50 mm stem and 785 bars on an LTc. Recently swapped the RP for a CCDB-A, it's even more of a monster now. Climbs better, descends better.

EDIT - I should clarify, had a Fox 34 on there up until July with the angleset. The Pike 150 is lower a-to-c than the 34 at 140 mm so that was a real nice upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Going from the RP23 to something else is a huge improvement. I've got a monarch plus and it's excellent. Rear feels much more planted and responsive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I also race enduro on a LTc (in the PNW) and just put a 150mm Pike on it. Totally love how it works - more planted, plush, secure. Almost feels like I upgraded the rear shock too. Now I'm thinking of changing to a CCDB-A or Monarch Plus and wonder what air volume/tune you guys got when you bought those rear shocks? Any insights you could share would be most welcome. Thanks!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by kwolfkill View Post
    I also race enduro on a LTc (in the PNW) and just put a 150mm Pike on it. Totally love how it works - more planted, plush, secure. Almost feels like I upgraded the rear shock too. Now I'm thinking of changing to a CCDB-A or Monarch Plus and wonder what air volume/tune you guys got when you bought those rear shocks? Any insights you could share would be most welcome. Thanks!
    Maybe even ask Push.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've got a monarch plus with M/M tune and high volume can. Rock Shock makes volume reducers for the aircan that are just as quick and easy to swap as the Pike's tokens. You can reduce it down to standard can volume or anything in between, which is very nice. I've got a friend thats used the monarch plus and CCDB-A and he says the CC is much more consistent as things get longer and rougher. He also says getting the CS model is the way to go. For the price difference, the Monarch is a major upgrade. You'll be able to run more sag without blowing through the travel like you do with the Fox. Far better on climbs, too. I bet you'll be pleased no matter what you do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the Monarch. I've got one coming and look forward to trying it out! BTW, did you just order the volume reducers through a shop and is there info/manual online that addresses how to use them? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Should be able to go through the shop. I think the service docs online cover the spacers.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm running the standard volume air can with the 2nd generation porting on my ccdb-a and it's dialed. I'm sure the CS will be great on some bikes but I've been able to find a very nice balance between climbing and descending with the standard ccdb-a. That comes down to personal preference though.

Oh and yes, the CCDB-A is very consistent through relentless rough trail where lesser shocks only feel controlled on the first few hits and then start to get over worked. This and the mid-stroke support are the biggest improvements over the RP. The bike is so much more composed on "enduro" (sorry for that) style terrain.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    so exactly how did the new headset transform the pike, did it make the handlebars higher?

great blog btw
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The headset didn't do anything for the Pike. I removed a headset spacer so bar/stem is at same level. Slacking things out will place the impacts more inline with suspension and add stability at speed.

I'm guessing you're asking about how the bike felt "off" before the headset change? Like I said, couldn't say for sure but maybe a touch twitchy. Thinking on it more, the Pike is so much more plush than the revelation that it could have simply been that. I did a race or two plus lots of riding with the fork while waiting for the headset and it was still fantastic. It's just more so now.

7am Backcountry ;- )
    This is what i'm trying to figure out, your post sounded like a similar situation?

Heckler > Blur LT, cutting the fork steerer, and geometry???
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]