Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899
Results 4,901 to 4,938 of 4938
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just getting into MTN biking after 5 years off...got a great deal on a new 2014 TBLTc w XT kit so I decided to make my first FS bike a nice one...still trying to get my head around a lot of the technical business and just looking for general advice and tips...this looks like the right place to do it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaktheory View Post
    Just getting into MTN biking after 5 years off...got a great deal on a new 2014 TBLTc w XT kit so I decided to make my first FS bike a nice one...still trying to get my head around a lot of the technical business and just looking for general advice and tips...this looks like the right place to do it
    You've got a great bike! Get out and ride! Post up questions as they pop up.

Some like the rear shock sagged to 20% some sag to 30%. Don't be afraid to experiment with different pressure in the rear shock and fork, too.

Look at the instructions on SC website on bearing overhaul. You may need to tighten the pivot axles after a break in period. It's easy.

It's just a bike! Ride and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    You've got a great bike! Get out and ride! Post up questions as they pop up.

Some like the rear shock sagged to 20% some sag to 30%. Don't be afraid to experiment with different pressure in the rear shock and fork, too.

Look at the instructions on SC website on bearing overhaul. You may need to tighten the pivot axles after a break in period. It's easy.

It's just a bike! Ride and enjoy!

Thanks dude...im in LA so I've beeen riding around the Santa Monica mountains getting acquainted with the bike (and the trails) what an upgrade from my $400 hard tail from 2007!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So first question is about the suspension - the bike is a 2014 and has a fox 34 float factory ctd fork...not sure what year but I'd imagine also 2014. I read a lot of posts talking about the dramatic superiority of the pike or that the fox 36 is superior to that. Then to add to the confusion it seems the year models on these also factor in.

How much of a difference do these other shocks make and what exactly is it that makes them "better" so far my rides have been very smooth, is there a whole other level w say a fox 36 or pike? Thanks much

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've currently got a 130mm Fox 34 on my 2014 Stache and a 140mm Pike on my LTc, so both are pretty close. The Pike is definitely stiffer with the 35mm stanchions, handles bigger hits much better, better brake dive prevention, and allows for more of a custom tune with the tokens. The Fox 34 is a little more supple over smaller stuff and generally a little smoother overall, but more brake dive and not quite as stiff, keep in mind my 34 has 10mm less travel as well. Both are great trail forks, the Pike is just a step up. I wouldn't say it's whole new level though. If I had a Fox 34 I wouldn't rush out and buy a Pike. If I had to buy a fork right away because I broke mine, I'd choose the Pike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -I would suggest upgrading the internals (both sides) to the 2016 FIT4 system over the CTD stuff that was NOT very good.

You'll save a buncha $$$ that way!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So first question is about the suspension - the bike is a 2014 and has a fox 34 float factory ctd fork...not sure what year but I'd imagine also 2014. I read a lot of posts talking about the dramatic superiority of the pike or that the fox 36 is superior to that. Then to add to the confusion it seems the year models on these also factor in.

How much of a difference do these other shocks make and what exactly is it that makes them "better" so far my rides have been very smooth, is there a whole other level w say a fox 36 or pike? Thanks much
    Personally better and cheaper than upgrading to a new fork is a custom tune.

Fox 34 Open Bath Cartridge Kit
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Anyone happen to be selling a Float X from a tblt?
    2014 Diamondback Sortie 29 2.0
    2015 Diamondback DB8 27.5 DH

mtbr member
    I have a BOS deville if you are interested

Help I've Fallen
    I have a Float X send me a PM.

2016 Canfieild Bros EPO
    2013 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    2013 Niner S.I.R. 9 SS

mtbr member
    Only one good ride so far but I'm really loving this bike!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Noice!

Jus decided it might be time to part ways with mine...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Selling mine d/t life circumstances, has been an incredible bike and is in great shape. PM me if you have any interest.

2015 Tallboy LTc - Avalanche Tuned - Derby Wheels - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Part ways?

Quote Originally Posted by max_lombardy View Post
    Noice!

Jus decided it might be time to part ways with mine...

Part ways with your LTc?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep, pm if you have any questions

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Disaster Strikes

Sorry to hijack guys but disaster has struck - I think I leaned my 2014 LTC against a post with a screw sticking out that appears to have punctured the top tube and left a nasty exit wound from pulling it off! Has anyone had experience with something like this - I've crashed the bike with no issues but a simple screw does it in?!

My LBS said they spoke with Santa Cruz (I also reached out) who didn't have a matching replacement triangle and if I had the tube repaired at CALFEE it would void the warranty of the frame - I was not able to reach anyone at SC to discuss - anyone have any experience with either punctured carbon or SC warranties being voided by repair? I don't see anything on the SC site about warranty voiding.

Thanks all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-screen-shot-2016-08-02-7.22.13-pm.jpg  

Last edited by Breaktheory; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:23 PM. Reason: adding picture

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It seems reasonable to me that a warranty would be voided if a repair was made. How could they guarantee the integrity of their product that had been repaired? That being said, if SC doesnt have a replacement triangle, you're only left with the repair option and taking the risk on your own. I have a calfee road bike and I've sent my frame to be refinished and they do great work, so I wouldn't be worried.

Keep on Rockin...
    My LTc frame cracked as is being waranteed.

The carbon rear triangle, Tonka yellow, and a cytoe down tube shield is free to a good home. Plus shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

The carbon rear triangle, Tonka yellow, and a cytoe down tube shield is free to a good home. Plus shipping.
    Hightower?

What cracked...where?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    If Calfee repairs it you will have a good frame but no warranty. that sounds better than a busted frame with no warranty. It looks like an easy repair, but would have to be painted too. What would that cost, and would it be worth it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

That's very generous but unfortunately it's my front triangle!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    If Calfee repairs it you will have a good frame but no warranty. that sounds better than a busted frame with no warranty. It looks like an easy repair, but would have to be painted too. What would that cost, and would it be worth it?
    Yah I sent it off to Calfee - this was more just to make sure this was routine as I was never able to get ahold of SC myself and got all this info from the bike shop. I'm guessing it'll be about $500 all in (cost $100 just to ship it there) and I'll probably do express return so certainly worth the cost.

Anyone have experience with something like this - seems like a carbon frame should be able to withhold the impact of a screwhead no? That's why I thought maybe the frame was faulty to begin with but the bike shop inspection laid fault on me due to impact marks.

Seems odd that a minor impact on a screw would tear it up like thius

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yah I sent it off to Calfee - this was more just to make sure this was routine as I was never able to get ahold of SC myself and got all this info from the bike shop. I'm guessing it'll be about $500 all in (cost $100 just to ship it there) and I'll probably do express return so certainly worth the cost.

Anyone have experience with something like this - seems like a carbon frame should be able to withhold the impact of a screwhead no? That's why I thought maybe the frame was faulty to begin with but the bike shop inspection laid fault on me due to impact marks.

Ouch on shipping. I repeat this on any thread I read about outrageous shipping costs BIKEFLIGHTS is the only way to ship bikes/frames. I've shipped frame across the country for $40 insured.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member

From what I have heard, it is the sharp penetration type blows that are carbon's weakness compared to steel or aluminum, even if it is stronger in tension, bending and fatigue.

Do you know if Calfee will paint the whole frame or just touch up the repair? I wonder if you could change the color?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I think they'll do whatever you're willing to pay for down to decal replacatiom but just having my little hole painted is running me $150 not inclusive of carbon work so probably pricey to paint a whole bike - check out the site

http://calfeedesign.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Ouch on shipping. I repeat this on any thread I read about outrageous shipping costs BIKEFLIGHTS is the only way to ship bikes/frames. I've shipped frame across the country for $40 insured.
    I'm gonna have to check that out although hopefully I won't need to be shipping this thing around much! - actually it was $60 for the packaging, $50 for fedex ground and $50 for $2500 of insurance! Ouch is right

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So this is slightly off topic but I just bought my first road bike, a 2016 cannondale caad12 105 - the 105 drivetrain is unbelievably smooth - click bang you're shifted - the 2014 xt train on my Tallboy is certainly no slouch but more like click crank bang - not the instant response from the 105 - is this just a road bike vs mountain bike thing or should my XT be shifting just as smoothly and quickly? Granted this is a 2016 105 vs a 2014 xt - love to hear thoughts thanks!

edit: drivetrain might be the wrong term Im referring specifically to the shifting of gears

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hightower?

What cracked...where?

The area around the LTCs BB.

SC was very cool about it.

I was selling the bike to a friend. Based on that I'd already bought another frame, hd3. Friend backed out. Was going to sell the full TB in classifieds. While cleaning I noticed the crack.

Test rode a HT. Very nice but I'd end up with too many bikes so I'm working out something different.

Anyway, the rear triangle and cytoe is free to anyone.

I've also got a wheelset, fork, dropper post,...etc, that went with the frame, that I'm looking to sell off.

Shameless plug, sorry.

mtbr member
    Hello to all,
    what is for you, actually the best shock to run on a SC Tallboy LT frame.
    One of my friend who own also the same frame but in carbon, is very happy with the Fox float boostvalve version. I'm currently running the shock provided with the frame Fox Float Ctd kashima, that's all. I would like also to keep a descent weight ;-)

mtbr member
    I decided that Float X was probably overkill and just upgraded to a 2017 fox DPS shock with EVOL sleeve and I couldn't be happier so far. It's a perfect match for the new 34 fork and gives the bike a nice bottomless feel. Huge improvement over the CTD.

mtbr member
    So this is slightly off topic but I just bought my first road bike, a 2016 cannondale caad12 105 - the 105 drivetrain is unbelievably smooth - click bang you're shifted - the 2014 xt train on my Tallboy is certainly no slouch but more like click crank bang - not the instant response from the 105 - is this just a road bike vs mountain bike thing or should my XT be shifting just as smoothly and quickly? Granted this is a 2016 105 vs a 2014 xt - love to hear thoughts thanks!

edit: drivetrain might be the wrong term Im referring specifically to the shifting of gears
    I know what you mean. I have 105 11spd on my roadie as well and it's flawless. I felt the same way until two days ago when I upgraded to XT M8000 and WOW! It's amazing. The action on the shifter is so light and shifts so crisp I find I need to get used to it and not shift down 2-3 gears at a time on accident. The 42t granny gear helps on the climbs but the shifting performance alone if worth the upgrade to the new XT stuff. I'm so happy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by xjohnx77 View Post
    I decided that Float X was probably overkill and just upgraded to a 2017 fox DPS shock with EVOL sleeve and I couldn't be happier so far. It's a perfect match for the new 34 fork and gives the bike a nice bottomless feel. Huge improvement over the CTD.

-I could not agree more. The new Fox EVOL shock is quality kit!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Keep on Rockin...
    A thumbs up to SC who's ok'd a new frame for my cracked LTc. A simple pic with the original receipt and they were totally cool to deal with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone try a volume spacer in their Fox RP23, and if it worked have a larger one to sell me? I know the shock sucks but figure I would give it a shot as opposed to sending it to PUSH. Or should I just try to find a new Rockshox or Fox shock take off from someone?

Keep on Rockin...
    From my recently deceased LTc, paid spam...

Chris King on Derby, 29" - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Shoot me a text with question.

Lots of other tasty bits left over from the dead frame, including a Fox Factory Float, and a Spec Blacklite dropper, 125mm, carbon bars, 10 speed xtr/xt drive train, XT brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by xjohnx77 View Post
    I know what you mean. I have 105 11spd on my roadie as well and it's flawless. I felt the same way until two days ago when I upgraded to XT M8000 and WOW! It's amazing. The action on the shifter is so light and shifts so crisp I find I need to get used to it and not shift down 2-3 gears at a time on accident. The 42t granny gear helps on the climbs but the shifting performance alone if worth the upgrade to the new XT stuff. I'm so happy
    I believe I have the 7800 series...what did you upgrade from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    A thumbs up to SC who's ok'd a new frame for my cracked LTc. A simple pic with the original receipt and they were totally cool to deal with.
    What color and year?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-fullsizerender.jpg

Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899