Page 70 of 100 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,500 of 4961
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am about to demo a TBLTc, but am not really up on the history of this frame.
    Has it remained largely unchanged since 2012 (is that even when it first appeared). I realised they've added internal routing for the seat post, but has there been any major changes.
    I am wondering if maybe a mk2 might be around the corner if it's not been revised for three years- steeper seat angle maybe- slightly slacker- 1x only.
    Any answers or thoughts much appreciated.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE View Post
    I am about to demo a TBLTc, but am not really up on the history of this frame.
    Has it remained largely unchanged since 2012 (is that even when it first appeared). I realised they've added internal routing for the seat post, but has there been any major changes.
    I am wondering if maybe a mk2 might be around the corner if it's not been revised for three years- steeper seat angle maybe- slightly slacker- 1x only.
    Any answers or thoughts much appreciated.
    Go test ride it, and if you feel the ROI is greater waiting vs riding...
    I have rev 0.0, as in a frame from about the 2nd run of the model. They've come down in price, have had a stealth dropper hole added, and are not yellow anymore (actually, I like lighter color for carbon so I can see if it cracks), but the ROI in fun...WAY worth it!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    mk2? What am I missing here? I'm planning on a new bike next spring and the short list is the TBLTc and Pivot 429c. Is the TBLTc going to be revised next season?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    Is the TBLTc going to be revised next season?
    A hint that might suggest this is Chainlove was clearing out TBLTc frames. BUT, they were all from the MY where there wasn't a stealth dropper port...all the ones w/ the stealth ports were not cleared out.

If SC does change things on the TBLTc, I hope the Nomad-ize the lower link.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If the LTc is changed next year it will probably be minor similar to the current TB2 over the TB1. I wouldn't worry about it , most buyers of the LTc really like the bike now. Some of us do tinker with components but not really out of necessity IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    They're fantastic tires. They hook up really well in the wet, or wherever. The trade off is that they're really heavy and aren't the best rollers (ironically).
    That was my concern. Couldn't afford the Carbon rims at the moment so wanted to give the WTB frequency team the best chance with a tyre that's not too heavy.

It's a how long is a piece of string question really but in view of the comments on here regarding the performance of carbon rims/wheel weight on the larger wheels think it may make quite a big difference

Keep on Rockin...
    The TB LTc is an amazing bike.

I've had a few issues mostly related to the Fox rear shock, so that is not really the frame's fault. When measuring travel, axle path, point to point, I'm only getting 120mm rear travel. The rear suspension feels just about that. Once I accepted that all is good.

The bike is not an AM machine, despite how is was originally marketed, or despite people trying to force it to accommodate 160mm forks.

What I've found it to be is the best trail bike I've ever owned. It rules everything between xc race and AM. The bike is also the fastest bike I've ever owned short of xc racing rigs.

The only thing I'd change on this bike is the chain stay length. It's too long but 90% of the time riding it is a non-issue. It does help keep the bike's front end planted on climbs, so the bike is an incredible climber as well.

So, unless they plan on shortening the chain stays I would not change anything.

The front end is plenty slack for a 29er and for what the rear suspension can handle.

Steep seat tube angles are for road bikes. On a mtb the are ok for pedaling straight up, or if the seat is dropped going straight down. For pedally, techy sections steep seat tube angles put you high up on the bike, not it the bike. Also, a slacker STA, on a 29er with its longer stays helps keep you weight centered.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    If the LTc is changed next year it will probably be minor similar to the current TB2 over the TB1. I wouldn't worry about it , most buyers of the LTc really like the bike now. Some of us do tinker with components but not really out of necessity IMO.
    This. The TB 2 is barely different at all from the TB1. All bikes will get "updated". Manufacturers need to do it to keep up the hype and the image of being cutting edge.

If you are worried about your bike being outdated, then don't ever buy one, because it is inevitable that something is going to change as soon as you buy it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Having ridden a TB1 for 2 years and now a TB2 for 8 months there is a difference in how they pedal and climb. The changes may be slight but the overall handling is diff. There was a noticeable mid-stroke wallow in the TB1 and more pedal strikes because of this. The 2 is stiffer laterally and the pedaling firmer. I have several friends with the TB1 and you can easily see the increased thickness of the connecting strut and feel it in the frame. I think that SC tried several changes but settled on minor improvements. The LTc has been very popular so I would doubt they would stray to far from the original.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

I've had a few issues mostly related to the Fox rear shock, so that is not really the frame's fault. When measuring travel, axle path, point to point, I'm only getting 120mm rear travel. The rear suspension feels just about that. Once I accepted that all is good.

The bike is not an AM machine, despite how is was originally marketed, or despite people trying to force it to accommodate 160mm forks.

What I've found it to be is the best trail bike I've ever owned. It rules everything between xc race and AM. The bike is also the fastest bike I've ever owned short of xc racing rigs.

The only thing I'd change on this bike is the chain stay length. It's too long but 90% of the time riding it is a non-issue. It does help keep the bike's front end planted on climbs, so the bike is an incredible climber as well.

So, unless they plan on shortening the chain stays I would not change anything.

The front end is plenty slack for a 29er and for what the rear suspension can handle.

Steep seat tube angles are for road bikes. On a mtb the are ok for pedaling straight up, or if the seat is dropped going straight down. For pedally, techy sections steep seat tube angles put you high up on the bike, not it the bike. Also, a slacker STA, on a 29er with its longer stays helps keep you weight centered.
    I am also really impressed with the LTC, I spent months riding all the top high end bikes and I can honestly say that if SC changed any little bit of the GEO the bike would loose its magic .

GEO is a mixed bag of tricks and its not easy to get numbers that actually work together as a whole.

I wrote the LTC GEO off acoupple years ago and did not even ride the bike because of the numbers. ( Big Mistake On My Part )

I just had to have a short CS , Steeper ST angle , slacker head tube .......boy was I wrong.
    The Specialized S-Works Enduro really did not work well at all , the thing turned really heavy and slow, and of course the HL pedaled like crap and I tried to like it but it just was not working, ( The LTC just killed the Enduro ), along with all the other high end bikes and all I really have to ride here is all steep Hacky AM Riding .

Also I measured my rear end travel with the air can off my shock like I do as a starting point on every bike I get and I could get 137mm of travel with the bottom out bumper smashed 1/2 way .......it can go more .(So I would think its gotta be a shock issue I would assume )

So I really would not want to change anything on this GEO

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

I believe the difference is in the shock than anything else.
    I have mine tuned by push for my weight and the mid stroke support is much better. The whole bike feels very different in a good way.
    I think Santa Cruz has changed the tune of the shock on the TB2 as well.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

What I've found it to be is the best trail bike I've ever owned. It rules everything between xc race and AM.
    This.

This bike has 135mm of rear wheel travel. 160mm forks? Really?

I like balanced bikes. This is going to be my long distance, murderous trail-yet-still-lightweight bike. If I did my math right, it will come out under 25lbs. I'm 145lbs (former XC pro, soon to be again); this thing doesn't need to be built like a tank to survive rough use under my weight.

130mm fork with -1* AngleSet, 740mm bars, dropper, XT brakes, and XX1 drivetrain. Ripping both uphill and downhill.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i replaced the fox with the DB inline and it rocks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-tallboyinline.jpg  

2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

Competent User

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Your bike can have none more bling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'm still curious what "mk2". To what does that refer? Though I owned and loved a Chameleon and have ridden early Heckers and Blurs, the term doesn't ring a bell with me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks. I'm still curious what "mk2". To what does that refer? Though I owned and loved a Chameleon and have ridden early Heckers and Blurs, the term doesn't ring a bell with me.
    Basically a generic term for the second revision of something as in Mark2.

It's not a SC term.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Haven't you seen Iron Man?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nope. However, what do you think of Peter Capaldi as the Doctor? Anyway, what is "mk2"?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Basically a generic term for the second revision of something as in Mark2.

It's not a SC term.
    Nope. However, what do you think of Peter Capaldi as the Doctor? Anyway, what is "mk2"?
    Answered two posts above...

Mark 2, Mod 2, etc. all mean the second iteration of something.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member

I like the darker Doctor lots! But I read somewhere he's gonna be only a one season Doctor.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Le Duke. Thank you. I should have picked up on that but kept trying to fit "mk2" into a SC offering. I.E. TB2 or something like that.

Formerly of Kent

There are rumblings (wishes?) that SC will make three versions of the TB for next year, like they did with the Blur. XC, TR, and LT. The first two essentially updates if current offerings, the last a 150mm+ travel beast. No one has seen anything to substantiate this, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    That's like the rumors of the Pivot 529c. It seems there is plenty of interest but Pivot is going with 27.5" for longer travel. That's why the TBLTc is so attractive to me. I get the 29" wheel and the longer travel I want to try in one proven package.

Personally, if SC came out with another TB, my money would be on the less expensive carbon frame available for other models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post

If SC does change things on the TBLTc, I hope the Nomad-ize the lower link.
    Why?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Why?
    More protected.

OT: I still owe you some pics...can you pm me your email?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Swapped the CTD for a Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair. Still playing with it, but it requires much higher pressure to achieve similar sag to the Fox. I am 175 lbs naked and running 240psi for about 30% sag, and using about 45mm of shock stroke. It feels better than the Fox in that it has great mid-stroke support, but I wouldn't call it "plush" like the Float X that I rode on a Mach 6. The best way to describe how it feels is that I don't really notice it at all as it is very well controlled and doesn't blow through its travel. I'm curious if it could be tuned more appropriately for the LTc though.

The most interesting thing about the Monarch is that it is clearly labelled 200x51 but appears to me to be a travel-limited 200x57 unit. It clearly has close to 60mm of exposed stroke, but with no air in the can will only use 50ish of it.

Please excuse the clutter in the basement.

This picture shows 45mm of measured stroke used, and as you can see there is more left. Anyone seen anything like this before?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cane Creek does the same thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc383 View Post
    The most interesting thing about the Monarch is that it is clearly labelled 200x51 but appears to me to be a travel-limited 200x57 unit. It clearly has close to 60mm of exposed stroke, but with no air in the can will only use 50ish of it.
    Fox do exactly the same thing. They use a deeper seal head to create a 200x51mm shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Drive train upgrade

My last ride I had a mini scorpion moment and destroyed my XT shifter. Took the opportunity to donate my XT shadow plus midcage to my lady's Giant Intrigue and got her a OneUp 42t and RAD cage, as well as upgrade my own drivetrain.

Swapped up to:

X1 shifter unit (identical to X01, with a small weight penalty)
    X1 rear derailleur (also identical to X01, just with aluminum outer cage for a whopping 4 gram hit)
    X1 chain
    X01 cassette

Took the rig to Northstar again this weekend and the drivetrain and bike were flawless. Highly recommend the X1 shifter and derailleur, I'll take 40 gram penalty for huge money savings and dead even performance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140906_081947.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140906_212433.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140906_212445.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-img_20140906_173956.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was able to pick up my 2015 Tallboy LTc from BikeBling in San Diego. They had one of each frame size in stock and built up a couple for me to demo (L vs. XL). Luckily the XL was in the color combination that I wanted. Matte carbon with tennis ball yellow is one funky and fun combination.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a like new Fox Float ctd kashima shock I'm selling. Off my new LTc.
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This last weekend I got to try out my brand new 2015 TB LTc. I had been riding a 2006 Epic for the last several years. I have upgraded the bike over the years, but it was still running a triple drive train and 26" wheels. I am just over 6 foot tall, so I thought a 29er would be a nice upgrade. This is what I put on the frame:

SC TB LTc size Large
    Pike RC3 140mm x 40mm
    Cane Creek 40 series headset
    Thompson X4 stem 70mm
    Enve Sweep carbon bar
    Lizard skin Moab grips
    Thompson Covert Elite Seatpost
    Sele Italia SLR XC Flow saddle
    XTR trail brakes
    XT rotors 180f, 160r
    Stans ZTR Arch EX 29" wheels
    Maxis Ardent EXO 2.4 tires
    SRAM GXP bottom bracket
    SRAM XX1 crankset, 28 tooth chainring
    SRAM XX1 11 speed derailleur, shifter
    SRAM XX1 cassette, chain
    Shimano XT 780 pedals

I found out the tires are not tubeless comparable, so I will ride them this winter weather permitting and change them out in the spring for some Knobby Nics. I was planning on putting them on, but they were out of stock at my dealer.

I have a local ride that is mostly single track just outside my home. my best time on my old bike was 1:20. On my first ride this weekend I shaved 10 minutes off that time. On my ride yesterday, I shaved another 10 minutes. Bike rides great and rolls over a lot of stuff that I was chicken to do with my Epic.

I am thinking about changing the rear shock to the DB inline, and I will likely upgrade the wheels soon with a set of ENVE's

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-tallboy-ltc.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone run Saint brakes?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    also how do you guys like the 1x11 compared to a one up 42t 1x10 setup?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    Anyone run Saint brakes?
    XTR 988 w/ Saint front caliper
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ski patroller View Post

I found out the tires are not tubeless comparable, so I will ride them this winter weather permitting and change them out in the spring for some Knobby Nics. I was planning on putting them on, but they were out of stock at my dealer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tallboy LTc.jpg 
Views:	1182 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	923788
    I don't know what your local terrain is like, but I would not run the Nobby Nic as a front tire, it is very vague in transition, washout happy and the cornering knobs have a tendency to fold under weight loading, at least under my 225 or so pound 6'5 frame.

As a rear, I did like the Nic, but not on the majority of my local Northern California terrain. Everything near me is very rocky, and the Nic tended to get destroyed to bits very quickly, even for a schwalbe, and did not offer the best of traction on rocky climbs. I may try it again this winter out back, with a Hans Dampf or Magic Mary front, but we shall see.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    also how do you guys like the 1x11 compared to a one up 42t 1x10 setup?
    I like the 1x11 more because it gives you a wider range.

Not a big deal if you don't need the range, But if you do it is well worth it.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalsfinest View Post
    I don't know what your local terrain is like, but I would not run the Nobby Nic as a front tire, it is very vague in transition, washout happy and the cornering knobs have a tendency to fold under weight loading, at least under my 225 or so pound 6'5 frame.

As a rear, I did like the Nic, but not on the majority of my local Northern California terrain. Everything near me is very rocky, and the Nic tended to get destroyed to bits very quickly, even for a schwalbe, and did not offer the best of traction on rocky climbs. I may try it again this winter out back, with a Hans Dampf or Magic Mary front, but we shall see.
    There are just too many differences between my Epic and my Tallboy for me to know how much of the improvement in ride is due to the wheel size, tires, suspension, etc. I was riding most of this fall on a set of Purgatories on both the front and back. I used to run a narrower tire in the back, but I preferred the grip of the wider tire. It just felt more secure with the 26" wheels. I want a light tire that grips well. I don't mind loosing some rolling resistance to get better grip in varied conditions. Mostly dry single track in the central Idaho mountains with some old forest road double track. Some rock, some loose dust in the corners.

There is definitely an improvement with the larger wheel. I am running the same Arch's in 26" on my Epic. That and the brakes are about the only things the same between the bikes. The suspension even with the Fox on the rear is night and day better than the stock Epic with the brain. In the trail setting I can get out of the saddle and not bounce all over the place. Its certainly better if I lock it out, but I could not even think about it on my old bike unless both ends were locked out.

I am still getting things dialed in. I may try and lower the pressure in the Pike and add a token to see if I like that better. I am currently at 85lbs. I have not made any changes to the low speed yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ---

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ski patroller View Post
    This last weekend I got to try out my brand new 2015 TB LTc. I had been riding a 2006 Epic for the last several years. I have upgraded the bike over the years, but it was still running a triple drive train and 26" wheels. I am just over 6 foot tall, so I thought a 29er would be a nice upgrade. This is what I put on the frame:

SC TB LTc size Large
    Pike RC3 140mm x 40mm
    Cane Creek 40 series headset
    Thompson X4 stem 70mm
    Enve Sweep carbon bar
    Lizard skin Moab grips
    Thompson Covert Elite Seatpost
    Sele Italia SLR XC Flow saddle
    XTR trail brakes
    XT rotors 180f, 160r
    Stans ZTR Arch EX 29" wheels
    Maxis Ardent EXO 2.4 tires
    SRAM GXP bottom bracket
    SRAM XX1 crankset, 28 tooth chainring
    SRAM XX1 11 speed derailleur, shifter
    SRAM XX1 cassette, chain
    Shimano XT 780 pedals

I have a local ride that is mostly single track just outside my home. my best time on my old bike was 1:20. On my first ride this weekend I shaved 10 minutes off that time. On my ride yesterday, I shaved another 10 minutes. Bike rides great and rolls over a lot of stuff that I was chicken to do with my Epic.

I am thinking about changing the rear shock to the DB inline, and I will likely upgrade the wheels soon with a set of ENVE's

Name:	Tallboy LTc.jpg 
Views:	1182 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	923788
    i run these tires tubeless without problem for a long time. Watch out for the handlebar lever on the thomson elite, it is not designed well and the cable will bust periodically.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I like the 1x11 more because it gives you a wider range.

Not a big deal if you don't need the range, But if you do it is well worth it.
    The range difference is 1 tooth.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    The range difference is 1 tooth.
    Yes but 1 tooth going from 11 to 10 is a significant increase in range.

Big Red
    Well poop

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-photo-1.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-photo-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by p8ntsean55 View Post
    Well poop

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	923960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	923961
    Give is the details. Endo into rock strike?

mtbr member
    Well poop

How?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Yes but 1 tooth going from 11 to 10 is a significant increase in range.
    Ok, good point.

If you start with a 32T ring and 11T cog, dropping to a 10T is equivalent to adding 3 teeth to your chainring.

Gear inches on a 29er

32x11= 84.4
    32x10 = 92.8
    35x11 = 92.3

mtbr member

Well poop

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	923960
    Dude, you're getting a new frame! Got your colors figured out?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Finally Joined the Club.....happy........

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-934839_10204020394144368_184412207989494101_n.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-1610786_10204020393824360_4677074782129312985_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Louis View Post
    Are those tires the 2.4 HRIIs?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Are those tires the 2.4 HRIIs?
    I believe the front is, and the rear is the maxxis ardent 29