Page 70 of 150 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 120 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 3735
    mtbr member

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Shouldn't get any brake noise with these brakes. Only happens to me when the pads/rotor need cleaning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Shouldn't get any brake noise with these brakes. Only happens to me when the pads/rotor need cleaning.
    Bingo. Only time these brakes have ever howled on me is when they got brake fluid on them.

mtbr member
    ya im pretty confident that there is no fluid on the brakes, however they were new out of the box and there may have been either machining fluid or packaging protection film on them. i will give it another clean.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Beaware of Shimano's s
    new gen brakes...on all my XT/XTR sets over the last 18mths I've had either brake fluid seep from around the pistons or the complete failure of the brake hose at the caliper end (banjo crimp).

As great as the power of Shimano's brakes are I've given up...as I'm not prepared to spend $40 on a Goodridge hose to fix a factory fault, then to have the pistons seals seep and contaminate the brake pads.

Sorry Shimano...fail

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You're not lucky my friend, I have had my set for over 500km without changing pads. Non ice tech as well.

Sylvain

mtbr member
    The howl is done... I took the disks off and worked the brake face with P1000 3M wetordry paper. I used it wet and basically just took the shine off. When it is done there was a nice uniform bead of water on the face which indicates free of oil etc. The pads I worked with 3M P360 wetordry but did it dry. Then cleaned them off with an aerosol brake cleaner..... bang it back together.... perfect...!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Beaware of Shimano's s
    new gen brakes...on all my XT/XTR sets over the last 18mths I've had either brake fluid seep from around the pistons or the complete failure of the brake hose at the caliper end (banjo crimp).
    Had a rear XTR M988 MC start to puke oil out of the pressure relief port. Off it went to Shimano...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    How often do you grease the bottom linkage?
    How do you know when "it needs it"?

Thanks......

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripo View Post
    Beaware of Shimano's s

As great as the power of Shimano's brakes are I've given up...as I'm not prepared to spend $40 on a Goodridge hose to fix a factory fault, then to have the pistons seals seep and contaminate the brake pads.

Sorry Shimano...fail
    Hmmm. I was wondering why my front XTR keeps stopping working. I've bled it three times already. It's like fluid is leaking out of somewhere but I can't trace anything leaking. Weird. And I spent max $$ on them thinking they were the best

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post

Thanks......
    Also keen to know the answer to this question... Nothing in the instructions that came with the bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Also keen to know the answer to this question... Nothing in the instructions that came with the bike!
    I was advised to re-grease if you have been through a lot of water crossings, mud, or excessively dusty trails. Otherwise you don't need to unless you start to hear some creaking of noise coming from them.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

Now older but less slow!

Thanks......
    I was advised that in our area (which is very dry) that I would only need to do it once a year.

mtbr member

I will soon convert from 3 x 10 to 2 x 10 (22 & 36t).
    Shortening the chain will be in order. Can anyone advise where in the suspension stroke will the chain be longest?

I will do the big cog- big ring + 2 links, but I don't know how much chain growth there is on this bike. Is it even a factor?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD (so that should explain the typos and odd word replacement)
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    I will soon convert from 3 x 10 to 2 x 10 (22 & 36t).
    Shortening the chain will be in order. Can anyone advise where in the suspension stroke will the chain be longest?

I will do the big cog- big ring + 2 links, but I don't know how much chain growth there is on this bike. Is it even a factor?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD (so that should explain the typos and odd word replacement)
    Safest way is to either let the air out of the shock or undo one shock bolt and put the rear tire into full travel and then with the chain
    on the big/big combo determine where to set the chain.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Safest way is to either let the air out of the shock or undo one shock bolt and put the rear tire into full travel and then with the chain
    on the big/big combo determine where to set the chain.
    Thanks!
    --Reamer

SC Tallboy LTc
    Ventana ECDM 26
    ventana el Ciclon
    Litespeed Classic
    Seven Ti Axion Tandem
    1989 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Just a note on that big big + 2. I ended up big big + 4 and a quick link. A short chain played havoc with the alignment of the lower cog on rear derailer. Adjust the tensioner accordingly. It works a dream now. I also had the spacer on the right side of the BB and this did not work well either, took it out and put the spacer on the Left. I.e.: XT gear.

Scant abuse

There are thousands like it but this one is mine.Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362442862.195311.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I like those wheels. What is the total weight? What crank have you got on there?

mtbr member
    I just plain love my LTc.

XX1
    X.0 Trail Brakes
    Enve wheels, DH bar, stem
    2.35 Nobby Nics
    KS Lev Post
    WTB Volt Ti saddle
    34 Talas fork

26.75 lbs

Waiting for the RockShox answer to the 34 to come out since I'm completely unimpressed by my current shocks. Also considering getting a Double Barrel air or a Monarch Plus RC3. Any input on that?

Scant abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIP TIP View Post
    I like those wheels. What is the total weight? What crank have you got on there?
    The wheels are Mavic SLRs with 2.35 and 2.25NNs. The cranks are XT with a 28t Widgit.
    Weight is 27.8lbs (with a KS lev)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
    I just plain love my LTc.

XX1
    X.0 Trail Brakes
    Enve wheels, DH bar, stem
    2.35 Nobby Nics
    KS Lev Post
    WTB Volt Ti saddle
    34 Talas fork

26.75 lbs

Waiting for the RockShox answer to the 34 to come out since I'm completely unimpressed by my current shocks. Also considering getting a Double Barrel air or a Monarch Plus RC3. Any input on that?
    Beautiful! Where did you get those decals for your Enves?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alannzulu View Post
    Beautiful! Where did you get those decals for your Enves?
    Thanks. You can order them custom from an Enve dealer.

Longing for Spring
    Feb 2012

My new LTc

After 3 Yeti's in a row I have switched to Santa Cruz and a 29er. I am sure this bike has been on here numerous times, but this one is my toy!

2013 LTc. Kashima on shock & fork. XT Grupo (2x10) with the WTB Frequency wheels on the DT Swiss 350 hubs. KS Supernatural dropper. E13 Bashguard/roller combo. Haven't weight it yet but it should be less than 28.

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-2013-02-24_18-21-31_343.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I put carbon bars on mine, the SPXAM 2x10 just like yours but yellow, took the tubes out but have no dropper. It comes in at 29lbs4oz. I was hoping for 27 but I don't see that happening. I got about 30-40 miles on it this weekend and really like it so far. Mostly dirt roads and really mild trail so far the doctor hasn't turned me loose to go back on the trails yet, I had surgery for seperated shoulder in November. I will post pics of my ride this week too. Its really smooth compaired to the al jet9 I have been on for a couple of years. I am interested in climbing P3 and Stanley gap to see how it handles the steep stuff. I know it is going to be way better down hill than the niner is. Its a sweet bike you have there!!

mtbr member
    Follow up on the issue about setting SAG. I got a reply from FOX, fancy that, and this is what they say.

"When setting sag you will always want your suspension in the most open compression setting possible to isolate just the air spring. On this shock this would be the descend position."

Page 70 of 150 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 120 ... LastLast