Page 64 of 100 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,200 of 4972
    Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26 View Post
    Really? The Vigilante are made for dry hard pack rocky terrain. The grip from them are amazing. But they wear very fast.
    I found the tall knobs to be squirmy. YMMV
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    I have a race king on the way for my rear to try out.
    New Nobby Nic looks mint too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone know how well the 2015 Haveb Carbon 35 black/green bar would match the LTc black/green (yellow) lol
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Anyone know how well the 2015 Haveb Carbon 35 black/green bar would match the LTc black/green (yellow) lol
    It looks pretty close, and it doesn't have to be exact to look good. Go for it!

I put green Lizard Skin clamps on my grips, and they definitely do not match the Tennis Ball yellow, but I still think they look ok. Those Haven bars are a lot closer but still probably a little greener than the bike graphics.

I don't think my picture is quite true to the actual color. If you look at the yellow and the green on my stem, in real life the graphics look in between, but in the photo they almost look pure yellow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-easton_haven35_carbon_multi.jpg  

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-20140530_092202.jpg  

Competent User
    You should add these on there:

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-easton-lock-grips.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had the easton grips on my blue yelli screamy and it was an awesome color combo
    I'd go with the all black 35 bars but I can't find anywhere buy universal that is selling the new bars and they one have the black and green in stock
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    I had the easton grips on my blue yelli screamy and it was an awesome color combo
    I'd go with the all black 35 bars but I can't find anywhere buy universal that is selling the new bars and they one have the black and green in stock
    Hey Jonsey, just fyi, that 35 stuff is unbelievably stiff. I have the Havoc 35 Carbon w/ the DM on my dual crown DH bike. It's different w/ an 8" fork. I can see it being overkill on a 5" trail bike, no matter how good the Pike is. I run the 750 Havoc DH normal OS bar on my TB LTc w/ a 70mm Haven stem and Oury lock-on grips. This combo isn't bad at all...nice bit of flex at the ends to take out the small/high freq noise.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So you think it's overkill? I have the haven carbon 711 now but want a bit wider. 740-750
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    So you think it's overkill? I have the haven carbon 711 now but want a bit wider. 740-750
    Standard Havoc DH is 750...

Edit: carbon... Shop around, I got mine for $110 from Merlin Cycles in the UK...had to wait 2wks.
    Easton Havoc Carbon Handlebar | Competitive Cyclist
    Last edited by Pau11y; 06-09-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Standard Havoc DH is 750...
    Can't go wrong with ENVE riser or sweep bar either. 740mm.

Competent User

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

I have enve DH bars cut down to 760. They an indulgence and sexy as all hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    I have enve DH bars cut down to 760. They an indulgence and sexy as all hell.

Yeah, the Enve DH bars feel great. The sweep and tip are super. Very close to the feel of the Easton Monkey-lite DH bars.

mtbr member
    I am very interested in throwing a pair of ENVE bars on my LTC. Anyone know the difference between the Riser and the DH, minus length and weight. Per the website all of the degrees are the same. Just wondering if there is any benifit to the DH over the RSR or RSR over DH. I.e strength, stiffness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So all of you Ltc owners. Do you own a hardtail also?
    I feel I don't need one but I also think it would be nice to build one up for winter and or just to have lol
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member

Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

I feel I don't need one but I also think it would be nice to build one up for winter and or just to have lol
    Pike/Monarch+...both have lockout. So, no.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Competent User

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher0311 View Post
    I am very interested in throwing a pair of ENVE bars on my LTC. Anyone know the difference between the Riser and the DH, minus length and weight. Per the website all of the degrees are the same. Just wondering if there is any benifit to the DH over the RSR or RSR over DH. I.e strength, stiffness.
    I only got the DH because the riser was too short for me. It would stand to reason that the DH would be plenty tough since they're the same ones on pro DH bikes. But they're super light, strong, comfortable, and I think there's a 5 year warranty, so I felt good about it.

Bodhisattva
    Yes, and mine has 4.0 wide tires
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Thanks for your response. What width are you running?

mtbr member
    Sorry, pressed the wrong response button. The above question was directed towards Quint.

Competent User

I ran 780 on my previous bars for a little while, and I cut the enve down to 760, which I'm completely comfortable with. Prior to that I was at 725, which seems way too short now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've got a single speed Highball that I ride year round where my LTC is a bit overkill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How you like the highball? Alum or Carbon
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've got the aluminum version. It was easy to convert to a single speed with the pivoting dropouts. I have it set up more more like a trail bike with 120mm fork rather than a XC.

mtbr member
    I'm in Steamboat with my baby for the next two days, beeotches!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I'm in Steamboat with my baby for the next two days, beeotches!
    Meh...
    I climbed Warren Gulch like a slug...way burlier!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Is anyone having a problem with rear brake squeal? My problem has been terrible, but I just sanded down the rotor and pads and got rid of the noise, but reseated the pads today on some long downhill runs and the noise is back.

I was reading that sometimes the problem is more of an issue with the resonant frequency of the frame, than a problem with the brake. I read that some people put a lead weight on the seatstay to to stop the resonance, and it actually works.

I've got a medium carbon with XT brakes. Since my efforts with the pads and rotors haven't worked so far, I'm wondering if I should focus the frame. But if that is the issue, then I would guess others are having the same problem?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is anyone having a problem with rear brake squeal? My problem has been terrible, but I just sanded down the rotor and pads and got rid of the noise, but reseated the pads today on some long downhill runs and the noise is back.

I was reading that sometimes the problem is more of an issue with the resonant frequency of the frame, than a problem with the brake. I read that some people put a lead weight on the seatstay to to stop the resonance, and it actually works.

I've got a medium carbon with XT brakes. Since my efforts with the pads and rotors haven't worked so far, I'm wondering if I should focus the frame. But if that is the issue, then I would guess others are having the same problem?
    The ONLY times I've had brake squeal on multiple sets of XT brakes (on a TB LTc and on a Bronson) were because of mineral oil contamination of the pads. Is it possible they've been contaminated? Are you running metal or organic pads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

No issues with XT brakes here, 203mm front and 180mm rear icetech rotors. Recently replaced a set of avid brakes and rotors with full XT on my GF's bike and it quieted hers right up. What rotors do you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also check for leaks at your rear caliper. It may not be obvious but a slow leak is enough to spatter some oil on the rotors and screw things up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    The ONLY times I've had brake squeal on multiple sets of XT brakes (on a TB LTc and on a Bronson) were because of mineral oil contamination of the pads. Is it possible they've been contaminated? Are you running metal or organic pads?
    Stock non finned pads. Maybe the pads did get some oil contamination that soaked in so that sanding didn't remove it. I might buy some new organics.

I should also add that when I bought my bike in April, I was too eager to ride it, and my first ride was a horrible wet and muddy mess. I assumed that that screwed up the original bedding in process, and maybe it did, but I thought the cleaning and sanding would correct that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
    No issues with XT brakes here, 203mm front and 180mm rear icetech rotors. Recently replaced a set of avid brakes and rotors with full XT on my GF's bike and it quieted hers right up. What rotors do you have?
    The Icetechs that came with the bike 160 rear 180 front.

If others can run XTs on their LTcs with no noise, then that tells me I can't really blame the frame. Thanks for the feedback.

Competent User
    I had the same problem for a bit, which was maddening, because my previous Specialized with Avid brakes was a lost cause. I sanded and cleaned and used alcohol. I had new pads and even swapped some rotors around. Eventually, because I am a dumba$$, I found that the bolts on the tab mount were loose. Problem solved.

Might not be your problem, but after all that time with the avids, I just forgot the check the obvious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Stock non finned pads. Maybe the pads did get some oil contamination that soaked in so that sanding didn't remove it. I might buy some new organics.

I should also add that when I bought my bike in April, I was too eager to ride it, and my first ride was a horrible wet and muddy mess. I assumed that that screwed up the original bedding in process, and maybe it did, but I thought the cleaning and sanding would correct that.
    There's a good trick if you have metallic pads: stick them in an open flame (like the burner of a gas range) and cook the hell out of them. When mine had oil, you could actually see the oil burning off and smoke. Eventually they stopped smoking and were as good as new, if not better. Just make sure you cool them slowly. Don't try this with the organic, though.

Competent User
    Oh, and I have and LTc with SLX brakes, so basically, the same thing. Metal pads.

mtbr member
    I'll try the fire thing.

Here's your inspirational photo for the day:

Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-20140613_140140-resize.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What length stem? I know it's fit and handling. But want to know from those that experimented with different lengths, what did you end up with?
    I'm just under 5'11", on a lg. bars are flat Syncros, just over 29"(740mm) wide. Rode it with 35mm length stem before I bought it. Too short. Had choice of that or 80mm. Stem was flipped -10(I think), bars felt too low. Flipped to +10, which put grips 1/2 " higher than seat, just like my old bike(RIP9, which has 80mm stem 0, riser bars at 28 1/2"). Seems to wonder a little in the tight stuff. Was thinking 60 or 70mm might be better. Wondering what riders my size on lg are running, stem length and bar width. Thanks.

Keep on Rockin...
    The Icetechs that came with the bike 160 rear 180 front.

If others can run XTs on their LTcs with no noise, then that tells me I can't really blame the frame. Thanks for the feedback.
    XTs on a lg with no probs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had XT brakes on mine when I bought the SPX kit. From the first day, the rear squealed. Annoying but every brake set I've ever had did so I didn't care. Except a few weeks on I was reading how great Shimano disc brakes are and how happy everyone was with them. Told the bike shop and they did the usual brake clean which I can do myself, whatever. A year on and they were getting worse, just howling like a demon was chasing me down the trail.

My local bike shop was taken over by new management and I was getting a dropper installed at the same time. Mentioned to the mechanic the issue I was having with my rear and how I brought it up many times with the old owners. Even though they were now out of warranty, they spoke to Shimano and got them to do a straight swap over since I've been having issues with it when it was still under warranty. I'm pleased to say, 7 weeks on with my new rear and not a squeak to be heard. Oddly enough, my brakes only squeak on the first application on the start of my ride. It's like once they get a bit of heat into them which seems to be on the first go, they're quiet for the rest of the ride. No idea if they're metal or organic pads, but either way, they're working great now and I don't want to touch them ever again :P
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can anyone recommend a dropper post that's reliable? I've just had my second Reverb **** the bed. Both lasted less than 7 months.

Your killing my Strava

Quote Originally Posted by pking View Post
    can anyone recommend a dropper post that's reliable? I've just had my second reverb **** the bed. Both lasted less than 7 months.
    ks lev
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member

Can anyone recommend a dropper post that's reliable? I've just had my second Reverb **** the bed. Both lasted less than 7 months.
    Really? Going om 2 years w/ mine. I'd like to do a full rebuild on it tho.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ks lev
    I have been criminally negligent with my lev and it still works well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ks lev
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I have been criminally negligent with my lev and it still works well.
    X3, my Lev has been flawless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max_croft View Post
    I had XT brakes on mine when I bought the SPX kit. From the first day, the rear squealed. Annoying but every brake set I've ever had did so I didn't care. Except a few weeks on I was reading how great Shimano disc brakes are and how happy everyone was with them. Told the bike shop and they did the usual brake clean which I can do myself, whatever. A year on and they were getting worse, just howling like a demon was chasing me down the trail.

My local bike shop was taken over by new management and I was getting a dropper installed at the same time. Mentioned to the mechanic the issue I was having with my rear and how I brought it up many times with the old owners. Even though they were now out of warranty, they spoke to Shimano and got them to do a straight swap over since I've been having issues with it when it was still under warranty. I'm pleased to say, 7 weeks on with my new rear and not a squeak to be heard. Oddly enough, my brakes only squeak on the first application on the start of my ride. It's like once they get a bit of heat into them which seems to be on the first go, they're quiet for the rest of the ride. No idea if they're metal or organic pads, but either way, they're working great now and I don't want to touch them ever again :P
    I burned the crap out of my pads this weekend, and sanded the back side to roughen them up a bit. It didn't help much.

If a new set of brakes fixed the problem, that would mean that something was wrong with your original set. What could inherently be wrong with a brake where the noise couldn't be fixed and they would need to be scrapped?

Maybe I need to ask for a replacement.

mtbr member
    My reverb, which is still relatively new, started making me nervous this weekend.
    The speed to come up has been getting slower and slower even though the adjustment on a the remote is all the way to the plus side.

Then this weekend it wouldn't come up. It seemed like the stroke on the remote was shorter than normal. I checked the pressure (Trailside) and it pegged my shock pump gauge, so its over 300 pounds.

So I put it back together, and lifted the saddle to extend the post, and it started working again. Still very slow, but working.

Also, if the post is in a partially compressed position, is it supposed to hold that position if you lift up on the seat? It seems like mine used to, but now will raise if you lift up on it (though I try not to do that).

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Like many others get a KS Lev. Mine is over a year and a half old and I haven't touched it. It could probably do with a service (it's not a good as when it was new) but it still works....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got the Thompson dropper a few weeks back. I waited for the reviews of the Fox and Thompson before I made my decision. The Thompson's design seems the simplest which for me means less things to go wrong. Been very happy with it thus far even after a few very muddy rides.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Have KS Lev. Sent back 4 times in first year, wouldn't go down, cable wouldn't move, wouldn't go all the way up, ect. Last time I got it back it worked for 2 rides. My bike shop took it apart, took the slack out of the Kevlar string inside and has been trouble free for months now. When I got it back the last time it didn't look like they even took it apart, same old grease under cover. Now they updated some of the internals that I can get for free for mine. When it works, it's great. Lever is good. There is a little play in the head, not noticeable while riding. Customer service not so good. If I get another, it will be a Thompson.

Now how about my stem length question. Going to buy 60mm, LBS didn't have one to try

Competent User
    There's no such thing as a reliable dropper yet. The top ones, Reverb, Lev, whatever, all can fail. Some don't. If you get a dropper, expect to have to do some repairs to it at some point, or get it replaced by warranty. Some people get lucky, some don't.

I think when you get one, as long as you know this, you're mentally prepared, and if it doesn't happen? Yahtzee.

A wise man told me that before I got my Reverb, and it was immensely helpful in setting my expectations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    There's no such thing as a reliable dropper yet. The top ones, Reverb, Lev, whatever, all can fail. Some don't. If you get a dropper, expect to have to do some repairs to it at some point, or get it replaced by warranty. Some people get lucky, some don't.

I think when you get one, as long as you know this, you're mentally prepared, and if it doesn't happen? Yahtzee.
    There are a lot of Gravity Dropper fans, who say they are really reliable (simpler spring activated type), based on what I have read on this thread:

What's with dropper posts?