Page 63 of 100 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,150 of 4972
  1. #3101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by mmalone1984 View Post
    Looking to put a Monarch RC3 on my tallboy. Any suggestions as to what the best tune would be? I'm 165 lbs and ride pretty rocky rough terrain.

    I would say it depends on your riding style. I have a Medium compression medium rebound Debonair RC3 and I think it's perfect, but I'm about 60 pounds heavier and a smash through/over kind of rider.


    If it makes any difference, SRAM recommended M/M for this frame, and Fox told me they also recommend M/M for the Float X.

  2. #3102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LB412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    920
    I rode my 2012 Fox Shock at a lower PSI and was shocked (intended) at how well it performed on a true AM style DH (1/2M, -400'). The problem is it sucked on the original climb in (900ish',3/4 mile) and on the climb out (1M, 700'). I would pay $400 for something that could do both equally well.

  3. #3103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,605
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    I rode my 2012 Fox Shock at a lower PSI and was shocked (intended) at how well it performed on a true AM style DH (1/2M, -400'). The problem is it sucked on the original climb in (900ish',3/4 mile) and on the climb out (1M, 700'). I would pay $400 for something that could do both equally well.
    Is it a CTD?

  4. #3104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Nathan, requesting more pictures of your bike! I'm an XXL chap, looking into the LTC and have a black Pike on my current 29er - we could very well end up being bike twins.
    Sorry, have been away

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-bike2.jpg

  5. #3105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    I just called Easton as soon as I bought them and they sent me a whole bearing replacement kit to correct any problems. Been fine with no problems so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by SLIP TIP View Post
    Im curious to know what you think of the back wheel hub. I have the EA90XC with the same hubs. They are famous for being problematic. Forever have that side to side rattle. Ive just ordered Mavic crossmax ST.
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

  6. #3106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    Haven;t weighed it yet but I have been riding it as much as I can. By far the best bike I have had so far! I love this thing…


    Archangel - the 1 degree works just fine. I feel confident flying downhill and can climb like a goat!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    did you have the chance to weigh it? cheers!
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

  7. #3107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by hjulier View Post
    Baller. First thing I'll do if I get an LTC. What tune does one get?
    Sorry missed this... I'd go M/M, that's what I went with and it feels great with the Pike up front. I run the 150 Pike with 2 tokens

  8. #3108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by _Nathan_ View Post
    Sorry, have been away

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike2.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	895984
    RAD thanks! Looks great.

  9. #3109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,605
    Some Front range shots:

    The Air Force Acadamy between my seat and bars in the background.

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-bike-afa-background.jpg

    Red Rocks Amphitheater down below.

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-bike-mt-falcon.jpg

  10. #3110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,740

    Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Some Front range shots:

    The Air Force Acadamy between my seat and bars in the background.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike with AFA background.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	896416

    Red Rocks Amphitheater down below.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike at Mt Falcon.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	896417
    Should taken some shots of Buff Crik...just got back
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  11. #3111
    Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Reputation: TheNormsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,314

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Well as Paul1e is being a slacker here is mine at Buff Creek from this Sunday.

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401237353.542362.jpg

    No that's not snow. It's compacted hail.

  12. #3112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,740

    Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Well as Paul1e is being a slacker here is mine at Buff Creek from this Sunday.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401237353.542362.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	896560

    No that's not snow. It's compacted hail.
    Blue bird today...it was pretty warm. But there was a nice breeze to keep the temps under control. AND, nobody on the trail!

    Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  13. #3113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Hi everyone a video of me and my ltc last sunday


  14. #3114
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Cool video
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  15. #3115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    113
    Agreed, that was a very cool vid. Makes me wish I had more than the 300-500 feet of vertical my local trails offer.

  16. #3116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by xixo one View Post
    Hi everyone a video of me and my ltc last sunday

    [video...
    Ya te digo yo que mi tallboy no hace eso ...

    Sorry for the comment in Spanish for "xixo one" . Nice Video and nice down xixo!.

  17. #3117
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,740

    Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by xixo one View Post
    Hi everyone a video of me and my ltc last sunday

    Oooof! I got a bit motion sick watching that...
    But, nice down! Where is that?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  18. #3118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Nice!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #3119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    32

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    I'm happy you like it , is at Pauls-Catalonia

  20. #3120
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    I get the chain grind, it sucks. I'm wondering what the consensus is on the new DB Inline Shock. I've been enjoying my DB Air CS, but it is heavy and perhaps overkill for the North East, with its complete lack of extended descents. The shock is superior to the other options on the market, but the Inline might be a better solution. I can't seem to find any info on exactly what the differences are between the Inline/DB Air CS. It also seems like it may not fit the Tallboy LT, so this may all be moot. Anybody have any info/thoughts?

    Been thinking about the CC Inline myself. Been planning on upgrading the shock to a DB CS at some point but now this adds a twist. Seems like overall might match up with the LTc a bit better, but time will tell.

    Unfortunately doesn't seem to have the spring rate adjustment.

  21. #3121
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Unfortunately doesn't seem to have the spring rate adjustment.
    Huh? Do you mean something like an end-of-stroke ramp up like a resi w/ a volume adjust?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  22. #3122
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Huh? Do you mean something like an end-of-stroke ramp up like a resi w/ a volume adjust?
    Uh, yes, I think we are saying the same thing.

    My understanding was that with the CCDBA you could add spacers to the air can to make it more progressive?

    Perhaps my suspension techo-talk was incorrect.

  23. #3123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Uh, yes, I think we are saying the same thing.

    My understanding was that with the CCDBA you could add spacers to the air can to make it more progressive?

    Perhaps my suspension techo-talk was incorrect.
    I think it does have air spacers. I'd be totally shocked if it didn't.

  24. #3124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,605
    I covered some of my seat tube yellow stripe with Lizard Skins Carbon Leather. Before and after.

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-20140530_131303.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-20140530_181036.jpg

  25. #3125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    7
    Ok, so installed my DBAir CS and went for 1st ride today. I used the Intense Carbine set up from the CC Lounge. First impressions were very underwhelming. On fast flats (with no CS) and slight inclines (with CS) my rear wheel seemed to skew off small baby-head rocks. I even got off my bike to check the rear triangle wasn't loose!
    Appreciate any thoughts or tuning suggestions, I'm reckoning that my LSC is too high at 7?
    PS the feel on the downhill was superb.

  26. #3126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    145
    does anyone run a KS Lev on their TB LT? Can it be partially routed through the seat tube?

  27. #3127
    Your killing my Strava
    Reputation: vinnyl26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    619

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    does anyone run a KS Lev on their TB LT? Can it be partially routed through the seat tube?
    I do. But I don't route through the tube. Not sure how you would do that
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

  28. #3128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-photo-jun-02-12-48-49-pm.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-photo-jun-02-12-52-56-pm.jpgTallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread-photo-jun-02-12-49-07-pm.jpg
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

  29. #3129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93
    nice! how do you find the hans dampf front and back? i'm currently on racing ralphs on both ends and while i'm addicted to the speed, i'm willing to forego a bit of that for some more beefiness and confidence over rocks. i also ride about 50km a week on the road so hoping they're not noticeably draggy on the pavement?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

  30. #3130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    230
    Not an owner yet, but have narrowed my choices for my next bike down to the TB LTc and the Ibis Ripley. I was able to demo the Ripley on trails, and have ridden the LTc on the street. I ride fairly typical northeast trails - tight, twisty singletrack with roots and rocks.
    Can any current owners provide some info on how the VPP on the LTc handles slow speed climbing/pedaling over small to medium rocks. I know the 26er VPPs had an issue with a bit of harshness/pedal feedback when a bump overcame the VPP chain tension. Is this better, worse or the same with 29" wheels?
    Thanks!

  31. #3131
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,274
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Not an owner yet, but have narrowed my choices for my next bike down to the TB LTc and the Ibis Ripley. I was able to demo the Ripley on trails, and have ridden the LTc on the street. I ride fairly typical northeast trails - tight, twisty singletrack with roots and rocks.
    Can any current owners provide some info on how the VPP on the LTc handles slow speed climbing/pedaling over small to medium rocks. I know the 26er VPPs had an issue with a bit of harshness/pedal feedback when a bump overcame the VPP chain tension. Is this better, worse or the same with 29" wheels?
    Thanks!
    The only time I feel pedal feedback, and it's minimal, is when braking hard over repetitive stutter bumps. I have never felt pedal feedback otherwise on my LTc
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  32. #3132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    The only time I feel pedal feedback, and it's minimal, is when braking hard over repetitive stutter bumps. I have never felt pedal feedback otherwise on my LTc
    My experience with the TB LTc is that there is basically no detectable pedal feedback. Whichever you buy, put a Cane Creek shock on it immediately. As has been said many times, the Ripley pedals slightly better and is probably slightly more nimble. The TB LTc handles chunk better at speed and feels more "bottomless." In their stock forms, the Ripley has better small bump performance, but with a CCDBA on a TB LTc, the difference goes away.

  33. #3133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    230
    Thanks. I thought the Ripley was a rocket compared to my 26" Mojo, which is no slouch itself. If the TB LTc pedals anywhere close to as well as the Ripley on the trail, it'll be a blast to ride, as well. I've read the recommendation to buy the bike that fits the trails you ride the most, and the Ripley would probably be it, but it looks like I can get a better deal on the TB LTc w basically the same spec as a Ripley.

  34. #3134
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,274
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Thanks. I thought the Ripley was a rocket compared to my 26" Mojo, which is no slouch itself. If the TB LTc pedals anywhere close to as well as the Ripley on the trail, it'll be a blast to ride, as well. I've read the recommendation to buy the bike that fits the trails you ride the most, and the Ripley would probably be it, but it looks like I can get a better deal on the TB LTc w basically the same spec as a Ripley.
    I briefly had a 650 Mojo HD, swapped it after a week for the TB LTc.
    Mojo was more nimble on the DH and is a stiffer chasis than the LTc. The geometry of the Mojo 650 was odd and didn't suit me whatsoever. After years on a 29er, I was underwhelmed by the 650 thing, so I cut bait quickly and went with the LTc

    The LTc is a fabulous bike - very versatile and can be built burly and stout like I have mine, or light and racier if that's your fancy.

    Regarding suspension, the dw bikes I've ridden (Ibis, Pivot) climb very well, perhaps a tad more efficiently than VPP. But I don't care for the way dw bikes handle big square edge hits, which seem to overwhelm the rear end. VPP soaks these up better in my experience.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  35. #3135
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,125
    I find the LTc to pedal and feel like a long travel xc bike, and I mean that mostly in a good way. It is very fast and fairly agile. An incredible climber and a very good descender. Probably the best and fastest all-rounder I ever owned. A bit contrary to the above post, I find the rear end easily overwhelmed by bigger, or fast hard hits.

    I am itching to give the CCDB, maybe the new Inline, a try. I'd like to dial in the LSC to somewhere between the Fox CTD's Descend setting and Trail 1 setting, and bump up the HSC and air spring a bit to help prevent bottom out. Still not sure if the Inline's air chamber can be reduced.

    Interestingly, I'm starting to think I have a universal "bottoming out" problem - even running proper sag on all shocks. My new Mach 6 - both the Pike (with extra tokens) and the rear Fox Float X CTD, bottom pretty easily for me. Never had this problem with shocks in the past.

  36. #3136
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    I have the inline on order.
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

  37. #3137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I find the LTc to pedal and feel like a long travel xc bike, and I mean that mostly in a good way. It is very fast and fairly agile. An incredible climber and a very good descender. Probably the best and fastest all-rounder I ever owned. A bit contrary to the above post, I find the rear end easily overwhelmed by bigger, or fast hard hits.

    I am itching to give the CCDB, maybe the new Inline, a try. I'd like to dial in the LSC to somewhere between the Fox CTD's Descend setting and Trail 1 setting, and bump up the HSC and air spring a bit to help prevent bottom out. Still not sure if the Inline's air chamber can be reduced.

    Interestingly, I'm starting to think I have a universal "bottoming out" problem - even running proper sag on all shocks. My new Mach 6 - both the Pike (with extra tokens) and the rear Fox Float X CTD, bottom pretty easily for me. Never had this problem with shocks in the past.
    I agree with your assessment with the stock shock. I either had to run low pressure and blow through travel to get good plushness or I had to run high pressures to keep from bottoming out. The CCDBA fixed all of that. It's seriously a different bike, better in basically all respects (just slightly heavier). I'll be interested to hear how the Inline works out. Seems like a perfect shock for this bike, and it should be transformative relative to the CTD.

  38. #3138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,312
    Also, Miker J, the volume is definitely adjustable via air can shims. There's just one size air can instead of two like the CCDBA.

  39. #3139
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,740

    Re: Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

    Interestingly, I'm starting to think I have a universal "bottoming out" problem - even running proper sag on all shocks. My new Mach 6 - both the Pike (with extra tokens) and the rear Fox Float X CTD, bottom pretty easily for me. Never had this problem with shocks in the past.
    Lower the volume of your air can...and your pizza intake
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  40. #3140
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Lower the volume of your air can...and your pizza intake

    Can this be done on the Fox Float X CTD, the one with the resi ?

    Not like the old days on the Zokes where you could just play with the oil levels.

    Naw... pizza ain't the problem - right now I'm actually running a little underweight. Too much trail work.

  41. #3141
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Can this be done on the Fox Float X CTD, the one with the resi ?

    Not like the old days on the Zokes where you could just play with the oil levels.

    Naw... pizza ain't the problem - right now I'm actually running a little underweight. Too much trail work.
    I think they make volume spacers that you clip on the damper shaft. Does your shock look like that pic on the lower part of this page?

    Fox Float Volume Spacer Kit > Components > Rear Shocks > Reducers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

  42. #3142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Can this be done on the Fox Float X CTD, the one with the resi ?
    Yes it can be and you need the black volume spacers like these:

    Float X Parts

    PN 803-00-827

  43. #3143
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,125
    Thanks guys... Yep it's the one in the pic with the resi.

  44. #3144
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,125
    Just put the order in with Fox.

  45. #3145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    I think they are great but I do want a lighter rear tire for some racing and this summer when its dry.

    Quote Originally Posted by max_croft View Post
    nice! how do you find the hans dampf front and back? i'm currently on racing ralphs on both ends and while i'm addicted to the speed, i'm willing to forego a bit of that for some more beefiness and confidence over rocks. i also ride about 50km a week on the road so hoping they're not noticeably draggy on the pavement?
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

  46. #3146
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    I think they are great but I do want a lighter rear tire for some racing and this summer when its dry.
    Figured I'd chime in while I'm visiting....


    As the LTc is easily the best all-rounder bike I've ever had, an all-rounder tire is needed to hold it all together.

    The bike is capable enough on each end of the spectrum of XC to AM-light so a trail specific tire choice is great if you want to really dial in the bike. However, I went looking for a tire that I can confidently run on most rides. Tech climbing is a favorite of mine and I won't tolerate a tire that won't cling to what we have here in the wet, rooty, NE. So, that influences my choice pretty heavily.

    The Specialized Purgatory is my favorite all-rounder. Front and back. Performs great, not expensive, available, and sets up well tubeless.

    On straight out, buffed trails won't be the fastest roller but I find I make up for lost speed on the straights with its cornering and climbing ability. Tried the GC but doesn't come close in terms of cornering and steep climbing traction.

    Spec casings are a bit fragile, but with the new Grid casing on the Purg 29 and 275 I find they are holding up well. Can't say it slowed the tire down too much.

    They are a great tire for the wet, techie NE, but also spent a week on them out in NV in Bootleg Canyon. Even the smoother tails, when covered with the loose bearings on hard pack, are sketchy. A very different experience for me. The tire did really well here too.

  47. #3147
    Your killing my Strava
    Reputation: vinnyl26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    619

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    My all around favorite tire on my LTc is the WTB Vigilante...by far


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

  48. #3148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    I have a race king on the way for my rear to try out.
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

  49. #3149
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,274
    I've run various combos with Purgatories, Controls, and Vigilantes.

    My current setup, and favorite for local Rocky Mtn conditions, is the On One 2.4 Chunky Monkey front and 2.25 Smogasbord rear, both in dual combo.

    Super grippy with iron sidewalls. Yes, they are heavy, but worth it. $35 per tire including shipping from Planet X Bike.

    I dig the Vigilante when we have mud, which is rare, but it was squirmy on our usual babyhead over hardpack trails.

    The Purgatory is both a good front and rear tire and isn't much different than a chunky monkey, although the latter is bigger and stickier. The CM is also a lot cheaper. The control is an ok rear tire when new but the center knobs wear quickly and braking performance falls apart rather quickly.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  50. #3150
    Your killing my Strava
    Reputation: vinnyl26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    619

    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    I've run various combos with Purgatories, Controls, and Vigilantes.

    My current setup, and favorite for local Rocky Mtn conditions, is the On One 2.4 Chunky Monkey front and 2.25 Smogasbord rear, both in dual combo.

    Super grippy with iron sidewalls. Yes, they are heavy, but worth it. $35 per tire including shipping from Planet X Bike.

    I dig the Vigilante when we have mud, which is rare, but it was squirmy on our usual babyhead over hardpack trails.

    The Purgatory is both a good front and rear tire and isn't much different than a chunky monkey, although the latter is bigger and stickier. The CM is also a lot cheaper. The control is an ok rear tire when new but the center knobs wear quickly and braking performance falls apart rather quickly.
    Really? The Vigilante are made for dry hard pack rocky terrain. The grip from them are amazing. But they wear very fast.
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •